I want to visit colorado for 4th of July?

huntazido

Hello,
I normally take the family (6 people) to California every summer but this year we want to do something different.

Here is what we would like to do:

We want to go someplace for the 4th of July. Someplace that really celebrates the 4th with a festival of some sort. Here in AZ the 4th celebrations are almost non-existent.

We also want to do some white water rafting.
Ideally, this would all be in a small town high in the mountains away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

We are talking about a 4-5 day stay.

Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks
John
[email protected]
Peoria, AZ

You might like Gunnison. They have a nice fireworks show, whitewater rafting on the Taylor, Crested Butte nearby, along with the Blue Mesa and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

How about Aspen? I think they have everything covered with regards to festival, out of the way, high in the mountains and rafting. Not sure on cost to stay there, might be the only drawback. You could definitely find a place to camp though.

Here in
>AZ the 4th celebrations are
>almost non-existent.
>
>Thanks
>John
>[email protected]
>Peoria, AZ

That's cuz the 5th of May is a bigger holiday there than the 4th of July. Heck, it would be offensive and inconsiderate to celebrate the 4th and be racially/ethnically insensitive. Or maybe, now that they're finally gonna get em out of the country you can go back to lighting fireworks and bbq'n hamburgers and hotdogs.

>How about Aspen? I think
>they have everything covered with
>regards to festival, out of
>the way, high in the
>mountains and rafting. Not
>sure on cost to stay
>there, might be the only
>drawback. You could definitely
>find a place to camp
>though.

We have a big parade and great fireworks display here in Aspen, assuming the fire danger isn't too bad. Lodging would be way expensive, so is food, but there is a good bit of camping in the area. Although I don't know how crowded it gets that weekend. Further downvalley is Carbondale which also has some nice celebrations and is cheaper.

The other option might be Leadville. I don't know what all they do for the 4th but I'm sure they have something. Lots of camping and hiking around and the Arkansas river south of town near Buena Vista has more rafting companies and trips than you can shake a stick at.

Go to Durango, plenty to do there. Whitewater rafting, trout fishing, ride the train thru the mountains, drive up to Silverton and hike, bike, rent a jeep or take your own and hit all the 4 x 4 trails. Plenty of them to drive. Could'nt drive them all in a month. Beautiful scenary nice cool weather. For fireworks you can drive down to Farmington, N.M. right across the Co. N.M. line its about 45 minutes from Durango. They have a kick butt fireworks show with patrotic music played in sync to the fireworks on the local radio station. I always liked to drive up on top of a hill there in town known as Six Graves ( got the name from the fact that six local pioneers are buried on top of the hill) From the top you can see all the show and there will be plenty of others there to keep you company. I'm sure there are other shows in Durango and Silverton, but the one in Farmington is the best for sure. I lived there for a long time and always looked forward to seeing the show.

If you like to trout fish and like to catch big trout 20" and bigger you can hit the San Juan River and fish it for a day. Visit Abe's store right by the river and take a guided trip . He can show you where the big ones are and how, what to cacth them on. If you have any questions send me a PM and I'll help you out all I can. I'll actually be driving threu there on the 28 of June on my way to Mt. to do some trout fishing and visit our new grandaughter . She's 3 months old July 4th.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-10 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]I second Durango. Lots more to do than fireworks and rafting. Train, Mesa Verde, Lot of jeep roads (near Silverton), fishing, shops for the Mrs. Closer to AZ too. There are fireworks displays in every little town, but if you want a treat, go to Rico (between Dolores and Telluride). They usually have one for over an hour and the reverberations in those steep mountain valleys is great. Telluride has a great one too, but lots of people.

However: FYI. If conditions are dry, they cancel the fireworks, so keep apprised of weather and drought conditions in the area you plan on going.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Steamboat Springs. Best fireworks show in the state. It's in the mountains and not like Aspen or Greeley. Foulshot, Greeley? Really?

1+ on Steamboat Springs. I lived up that way for a year and it was a great area for fireworks and camping,fishing ,4x4.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have just the place for you!!
Grand County--
A parade, fireworks and a rodeo in Granby on the 3rd, fireworks over Grand Lake on the 4th and pancake breakfast on the 3rd. Rocky Mountain National Park-see hundreds of elk. Fishing on any one of the numerous lakes, streams or rivers in the area. Hiking, 4 wheeling, mountain biking etc. The summers are amazing, cool nights, beautiful days. Fire works in Winter Park.

http://www.grandlakechamber.com/calendar.html
http://www.playwinterpark.com/events
http://granbychamber.chambermaster.com/directory/events.jsp?ccid=144&aname=1

2nd for Buena Vista some of the best whitewater rafting in Colorado.

Take a full day trip with Buffalo Joe's and get the steak lunch it cant be beat.

Also look into float fishing and the high lakes around BV very fun!

Stay in Glenwood Springs. You can go rafting and they have underground cave tours. Then go up to Avon/Vail for the fireworks (its about 45 minutes east). From Glenwood, you can visit Aspen, Rifle Falls, Hanging Lake, and other areas within an hour drive. Another good option would be Durango, but you must drive over to Ouray for its fireworks show.

Just a heads up on Hanging Lake.
The trail is closed most of this summer.
They are rebuilding the board walk at the Lake and then doing trail improvments.

Greeley Stampede....
http://www.greeleystampede.org/
Foulshot do you live in Greeley? I live very near by I wouldnt reccomend that event! The fireworks are ok but the money you spend there is not worth it that said I will be there this year one time .

Telluride has a good fireworks show. There are several campgrounds right off the highway on the way where you can camp.

+1 on glennwood springs, glenwood canyon has great rafting without anything too challenging as far as white water if you have young kids. The whole area is beautiful and hanging lake is a must see for anyone visiting colorado.

Hey Hunt where did you decide to go.

Thanks for all the input everyone. We looked into almost all the spots everyone mentioned and it looks like we are going to Steamboat Springs. We booked a two bedroom condominium for 4 nights at a very reasonble rate. We plan on taking the gondola ride, do a white water raft ride, go to a rodeo, go trout fishing, and enjoy all the local 4th of July festivities. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks

This is a good drive for ya.We use to see alot elk and deer on this drive early morning or late evening.
Take 40 west to craig right on Hwy 13 north to Rd 27 hang a right take it Rd 82 hang another right 82 will turn into Rd 150 that turns into Rd 80 that will take you back to Hwy 40 by Hayden.
This drive has alots of creeks so make sure you take a flyrod or something. Good Luck

Now in Hayden watch for those speed traps. LOL

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom