Idaho Wilderness Company

MrKrabs

Do any of you have a review of Idaho Wilderness Company? I'm thinking about doing one of their mule deer hunts. I'm wondering if the quality of the deer and hunt are as good as I'm being led to believe. Is there a legitimate chance of seeing 180"+ bucks?

i checked out there site. the muley pics for the most part looked very old. and didn't see many bucks in the clas you are looking for.. but i am sure it would be a fun hunt !

It looks like the current outfitter tried to sell the hunting side of the business twice and then took it back for various reasons so that may be the reason for the old pictures. Everything else I hear about Idaho's deer and elk population talks about the severe decline in trophy potential and population. So the older pictures do have me concerned.

http://www.outdoorsman.com/articles/Idaho-hunting-outfitter-wilderness-trips/

I'm being told I would see 5-10 bucks a day in the 160 range and likely see a couple of bucks over 180" during the course of the hunt. If that's the case I'll be all in because as you mention it will be a fun hunt.

Steve Zettel is a top class outfitter. He has been in that area for many years. I guided for the outfitter right across the river from him and know that country very well. It really helps to get snow for those November rut hunts. But yes, he is not lying about seeing a lot of deer a day. If you know what camp you would be hunting in i could give you some more information, as I know the area around one of them is truly thick with bucks come middle of November. In my 3 years guiding in that Frank Church country i had the pleasure of guiding a couple 180+ bucks, with the biggest going right at 190 and we had him aged at only 4 years old by Fish and Game. In that time though i saw 3 bucks that i know would have gone over 200", and plenty more in the 170-180 ranges. My last season guiding in there i watched 2 bucks on the other side of the river, that would be Steve's area, that were just plain impressive heavy typicals. He has good deer, and a great group that works for him. I assure you if you decide to go into the Frank with him you will not regret the experience or the hunt. Id be more than happy to help you out as much I can with more info, just ask and i will do my best to help.

Thanks for the info! I haven't talked to Steve yet. I've been talking to a "hunt consultant" that recommended him. I'm planning a trip to Montana this year if I draw tags, but wanted to get some info on Steve as a backup plan or a hunt for 2012. So I don't have any info on camps yet. I told the consultant I wanted an adventure with the possibility of a big buck or bull and he recommended this.

If you happen to have some recent pictures of deer from that area I'd love to see them.

Thanks

Ben

Here are a couple. The big one is the 4 year old that went 190. he had lots of room to keep growing. The bottom buck came out of the same area as the big one, he definitely had that buck's genetics, and unfortunately he didnt get a few more years to grow. The thing about the Frank is, if you want a 30 inch wide buck, go somewhere else most likely. If you like Tall and heavy then the Frank has plenty. The only other thing i should mention, is in that country there is no such thing as a flat spot, its up or down and steep. But, it is awesome country to be in.

831img_2515.jpg

9961img_2737.jpg

1086img_2771.jpg

Those are some nice looking bucks. That bottom buck would have been a brute with a few more years to grow!

I like wide bucks, but not nearly as much as I like mass so it sounds like the Frank has what I'm looking for.

I dont think you will regret it. Its an awesome place to be in. From my time guiding there, I would say the 2nd week of November or the last was when we would see the most bucks and the mature ones. Were you planning on an Elk tag too? There are wolves quite prevalent in that whole area, but we put a pretty good dent into them couple years ago when the season was opened. Another friend who stayed and guided for the outfit i used to work for said this past year they had no wolf problems all season. I know Steve's crew have all been with him for years which says alot for a backcountry outfitter. The only thing that was bad for my area was the airstrip was on our side of the river so in November it looked like a tent city with DIY hunters who fly in for the muley hunting. Steve's area doesnt get hit bad at all because of the steepness and it being on the other side of the river. It also helps when the horses go up the hills better than we do with loads of gear.

The hunt consultant recommended not getting an elk tag since it would take away from the deer hunting. He is a big mule deer hunter and is out to tag a huge buck so that has some bearing on that too I'm sure.

Hopefully by the time I go wolf hunting is legal again so I can help with some of the issues!

MrKrabs,, I hunt over the hill from the big creek,, it will be a fun hunt for you. Sorry not to steal or thread, I've got question for mtnguide. Mtnguide, looks like you work or worked for Travis. Does he have a brother named Trent that also guides,,, i've been trying to put this together for some time,,, figured you would know.

Thanks------its awesome country

Yep he does. I worked for Travis for 2 years, but before that i worked for Al Bayer and our area bordered Trents. A good friend of mine guided for Trent. i think his outfits name is Elk Creek Outfitters. Trent goes in from the McCall side, while we rode in from Challis so we never ran into eachother when season was going.

That's so weird that you say Trent and Travis, my dad's name is Trent and he has a twin named Travis, but your talking about different people! haha just thought I'd add. :)

If you look at the maps in the beginning of the book Idaho's Greatest Mule Deer, you will see that central Idaho has produced very few book deer. Also look carefully at the photo albums on the websites of the various outfitters that operate in the Frank and you will see very few bucks of the caliber you are seeking. The honest ones will tell you that most of their hunters shoot 140 to 160 type deer. The steep rocky country, with thin soils derived from volcanic bedrock, isn't super productive. I think Ron Spomer in his book on big game hunting in Idaho says that that country doesn't produce a lot of anything. I hunted sheep there for 2 full weeks in 05 and loved the country, but did not see many deer, despite covering a huge portion of 27 on horseback. Of course the deer get more visible later with some snow and the rut.

Like you, I'm on a quest for that 180 buck, and I've wanted a reason to return to the Frank, but I've realized that my chances for that kind of buck are simply better elsewhere. As has been said the country is huge and super steep, and has horrendous relief, so you need to be in excellent shape to maximize your chances of finding a big boy. It is a fabulous wild place though, and so any hunt there will be rewarding.

Thanks for the info. I'm also considering a hunt with Comanche Wilderness Outfitters in Colorado. I know on his hunts a 180 buck is a very good possibility, but the hunt just doesn't have the adventure factor that this hunt in the Frank does.

You are correct that the majority of bucks I've looked at on outfitter websites are in the 140-160 range. I do see a few that are 180" or better, but not many. I guess I need to decide if the bigger bucks in Colorado are more important than the adventure in Idaho.

What is everyone's thoughts on getting an elk tag too? I know that area has been hammered hard by wolves.

Mtnguide,, I've been hunting in Trent's and Al's area every year since I was a little kid. We have property on the South Fork. I thought they were brothers. The Big Creek area of the Frank has much better animals than the south fork side.

To all that dream of hunting in the Frank Church. Don't be coming expecting to shoot a 180",,,, yes they are there put very few between,, and mtnguide is right the deer do not get wide in the Frank,, the mass is there and you might get some height but not width. Width does not help much in the score. I've hunted the Frank my whole life,,, with elk you can expect a 280-290 bull with an occasional 320-330, deer you should be expecting a 140-150 with occasional 160-170.

Travis states on his website that they shot a 170 last year,,,, they must round up by 10-15 inches. Alot of these outfitters in the Frank church share pictures,,, if you look at them all you will start seeing the same deer and elk on different outfitter websites. Most of these guys guide on the south fork side of Frank.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble Mrkrabs, remember all the outfitters are salesman, so they are trying to make there hunts look really good to you,,, just don't get fooled. I've seen it to many times and heard all the rumors that these guides start spreading up and down the river. Another guide states that they see deer in the 200" range ever year up Prophery creak,,,,, i've never seen anything close to the 200" range in 20 years of hunting it.

Ok I'm off my soapbox!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all this said I do think that the guides in Bigcreek are probably the most trustworthy, hard working people,, with the best quality of animals. Travis aka milehighoutfitters harvest some nice bucks and if your going with a guide across the river it might be a good hunt.

One more thing if your coming why not buy a elk tag,, you might see a monster.

Thanks for your candor Matt. That's exactly the type of feedback I've been looking for. I checked out Mile High Outfitters and see a few bucks that might hit 180", but I see a lot that would be lucky to hit 140".

Mile High Outfitters does have what appears to be a good deal on the wilderness combo hunt. If a wolf season is reinstated that would be a very nice hunt. I know the chance on cats are low, but the tag price is cheap enough to risk it.

MHO or IWC will both make good backup plans in case I don't draw in Montana, but it's sounding like if I want to kill a huge buck I should stick with my Colorado plan.

I do want to see the Frank sometime and the bush plane ride in and out would make for a great trip.

I will agree that you should probably stick to CO if you want a better chance at 180+. They are around in that Big Creek area, but the thing is, until you go back there its impossible for me to explain how huge that country is. It can take a full day to get from one main ridge to another. Its big country. The deer almost seem to appear out of nowhere in November. I will tell you from guiding for MHO, up until end of October we would rarely even see bucks. A few are there, but the moment the snow hits, they start showing up and grouping together. The one thing about MHO area, is it gets hit pretty hard by DIY in november, but Travis sets his camps up high on the ridges, so we always can beat people to the good spots if they are attempting to come up into our main areas. The plane ride into Big Creek is always fun, ive had a couple that i made in the middle of season where it was just like a roller coaster, but those pilots are incredible in the little planes. The largest buck i have ever seen was 2 years ago while guiding back there. Easily went 200" main frame with some kickers, but on top of that his mass was from the bases to the tips. Only thing was, he was on one of the nastiest ridges back there and i didnt even dare trying to take a horse up into that country cause while guiding lion hunts back there i had hiked the ridge and knew how steep it was. So that buck lived out the season, but thats the thing the big ones are around but its rarely in a meadow...If you decide to go to Idaho, i would definitely talk to both Steve and Travis over the phone before you make a decision. If you want to know anymore about MHO let me know and i can PM you with some more info.

I agree with mtnguide, I would head for Colorado. For a true rugged adventure there is no place better than the Frank and another thing to remember is that score on a deer is not everything,, the tall heavy racks are really impressive to me. You might spend the same amount of money and have a good chance and shooting a bull. You might be hunting deer but the elk are mixed in with the deer, when you go over that next ridge you might see a herd of deer or a herd of elk.

I just don't like seeing people get taken or lied to. So i'm trying to give you my experience with the outfitters in the area. I would hope that someone would do the same for me. It sounds like mtnguide nows the area and i'm sure he has the best advice on the outfitters in Bigcreek.

Good luck

The main thing I was wanting to sort out is if I can expect to see 5-10 160" bucks a day. I want my expectations to be realistic for any hunt I decide to go on.

The adventure is unparalleled in the lower 48 which really has me wanting to give it a try. In Colorado I would be hunting on private ranches and sleeping in hotels or lodges. That's a far cry from a bush plane and tents on rough public land.

I have done a lot of horse packing in that country over the last few years. I agree with the others, you will see deer, but the big ones are few and far between. I really enjoy the backcountry hunts on horseback so for me it is worth it. We have done fairly well over the last few years but 90% of the deer we see are average 3 points or smaller. Seems to be a lot of 3 points in those units, cant tell you why but the majority of the deer pushing herds that time of year seem to be 3 points. Kind of strange but a great experience. Like mentioned before the country is HUGE there is no glassing an opposite ridge unless you can get horses to it or around the other side because its just to big. Good time though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom