Idaho Wolf hunt wanted

L5

Want a Idaho wolf hunt for 2 very avid hunters. Want to take 4 wolfs, 2 each, as I understand you can get 2 tags per hunter.
Time and date is no problem and can spend what ever time necessary.
Have done a lot of research but not finding much info on guides who actually are killing wolves.
Want to spend actual time on wolves, not just covering country hoping to see some.

Recommendations and thoughts appreciated.

Mike

Good luck with your search. Wolf hunting is not a gimme. Focus on getting one and then worry about the rest. Unfortunately they are very smart and hard to hunt. I have been fortunate and taken 2 in Canada but they are not easily hunted.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-12 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]"Want to spend actual time on wolves, not just covering country hoping to see some."

I would like to give a good answer to that post, but after reading it, especially that sentence in quotes, I can't quit laughing! Good luck on your quest for 4 Wolves!!!

Just a little perspective to help with expectations. Wolves can range 50 miles. Even if they only ranged 10 square miles, you are going to have to find them. It is unlikely they are waiting around road area. You might get lucky and catch them passing through. But they may be there one day, but they will have moved on the next.

Yep, pretty funny post dude. Wolves may very well be the most difficult big game animal to hunt. Period. Good luck.

You find and kill 4 wolves and I will pay you to take me with you!!!!

Mike,

Regardless of what some of these wolf hunting experts are telling you, it can be done. I personally know guys that have filled both their tags. If I had no idea where to go but I had lots of time and gas money, I would head to Salmon, and walk canyons. Find the elk herds, which shouldn't be hard, and you might run into the wolves. There are normally a lot of elk wintering down river from North Fork, and around Gibbonsville, but you might need a raft to cross the river to search areas that you can't reach from the road.

I am not guaranteeing anything, but there are still some wolves left on that quota, and the locals would love to see you fill all 4 of those tags. Good luck.

I'm giving him a hard time because I have been out hunting wolves around fairfield. I did get lucky and kill one in November, actually should have had a double as I had called 2 in, just didn't see the other.

But realistically, you will cover miles and miles of country looking and tracking, there are wolf tracks everywhere, but laying eyes on them is another thing. I've been up hunting on 3 different trips now, only saw wolves on the first.

By all means, go after them, they are huntable, but don't expect to go for a weekend and hammer 4.

Salmon, Challis, Stanley, Fairfield, Sun Valley etc...all have wolves. Most of the elk around fairfield have moved east almost to the river and the highway to sun valley, you will not be able to hike far enough in that country due to the snow levels, if you are thinking of that area, take snowmobiles.

Again, good luck.

If you want to go on a guided trip that would be a heck of an adventure, with some pretty hard core mountain men, check out Middle Fork Outfitters, Ron Ens and his partner Tyrel. Ron just killed one a few weeks ago, and Tyrel is living in the Frank Church Wilderness this winter trapping. That Middle Fork of the Salmon country is huge and very rugged, but they have excellent stock and know the country well. I saw a wolf in there in November but couldn't get a shot. There are lots of wolves in the Middle Fork, and the country is much more open than the country immediately to the north, which is pretty heavily forested all the way to the canadian border. Good luck, and be happy if you kill just one.

get ahold of BUCK or Royaltine on the Royaltine hunting forum. buck guides in the bitterroots i believe and Royaltine guides around the sapphire pack in southwestern montana. buck has killed 2 in this last month and RT just killed another a week or so ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom