IDFG thanks poor economy for decreased tag sales

Well there are still a few of us die hard NR's that are getting ready to head north for Whitey's....

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

They have lost the NR because of value. I know that the F&G has done studies that say hunting is just a way for family's to get together to bond. The fact is hunting is about killing an animal. If your odds are better in one state than another the money flows to the state with the better success. Now if you add in trophy size to this mix VALUE becomes even more important. As I see it the problem is not the economy. The problem is also not the high price of our tags and licences. The problem is lack of deer, elk, antelope,chukar, Pheasant and the list goes on. NR's used to flock into Gooding county for pheasant hunting. They spent tons of money to hunt pheasant, they quite coming years ago why? No birds! People have always come up with money to hunt no matter how broke they are.

If the game is not there NOW that is when even the rich man stands back and says NO. Even though they have the money to go to Idaho they don't have the time to waste looking for a needle in a haystack when other states have good numbers of animals. Sure Idaho still has some good bucks here and there, and even some Great bulls. Those units are ALL draw hunts and their future does not look good. If you look where we were in the early 1990's where you could have killed a 300 class bull in ANY unit in Idaho. Now the list of units where you can find 300 class bulls can be counted on your fingers. If you up that to 350 class bulls or 375 class the list is very small.

We all know that the number of units in the state that produce HUGE bucks are nothing compared to what they used to be. Most hunters are just lucky to fill a tag with the first buck they find.
I will say it again if we had quality hunting in this state the NR's would come back. Then again if we had quality hunting the NR's would never have left in the first place, no matter the price.
Ron

ALL TRUE!!

But, they can't say that. They don't want to reinforce the perception that tag sales are declining because there isn't any game.

I found it interesting that the AP article in the Mistakesman today didn't mention wolves till the next to last paragraph.

I find it inescapalbe; If the wolves were not here, tag sales would not have declined to the extent they have. The plan is working.

Good post Ron very well said.

Deepforks it may not be 100% true but it is definitely NOT 100% false.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

RON IS RIGHT ON !!! I VOTE FOR RON !!!

NOW IS THE TIME TO REBUILD OUR BIG GAME HERDS !!!

CMON DEEPFORKS,
YOU KNOW RON IS RIGHT ON. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CONTROLLED TAG AND A GENERAL IS HUGE IN QUALITY AND QUANITY. HOWEVER THERE ARE STILL SOME HONEY HOLES IN GENERAL UNITS, SAD THING IS WE COULD TURN THE GENERALS INTO REALLY GOOD HUNTING IN A SHORT TIME WITH THE PROPER MANAGEMENT . THE TASK OF DOUBLING THE POPULATION AND PUTTING SOME AGE ON OUR BUCKS CAN BE DONE . IT'S NOT TO LATE

i never said i disagreed, nor disputed any other parts of his post. but when he says all, and goes so far as to emphasize it (ALL), i take issue with that. i hunt in one of the most populated units in the state. every year great bucks and bulls come out. i have seen them in person (even got a few unsuccessful shots off at them), as well as many pics. in fact, a buddy of mine sent me a photo of a 380ish bull killed the last day of GENERAL season. it was a friend of his. there are still great quality animals out there in general units. correct, not like there use to be. so again, 100% false statement.....not post, but statement.

Haha. They can thank their overall lack of management. It's expensive, the quality sucks, there's no point system, and it's just overall not a friendly nonresident state. Lots of better options out there for nonresidents.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

The point system is a horrible idea....unless you have enough money to keep applying in lots of states.

THAT being said, everything else is true.

We could solve 90% of our game-population issues by reducing (a lot) predator numbers and strategic feeding during crucial winter months. (Anybody foolish enough to believe we can put men on the moon and could NOT effectively feed such a precious commodity, just isn't being reasonable.)

I did not say there are not multiple issues but reducing the 52-week-per-year hunters and helping them through the winter (our houses sit on their idea winter range) would be much like winning in the NFL....hide a lot of problems.

WELL SAID, Ron.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I am an NR that hunted Idaho for a lot of years, but haven't hunted there for the last 4 or so years. I mostly agree with Ron, however I think the last NR price increase was the straw the broke the camels back for lots of NR hunters. The way it sits now, I can hunt CO or WY for less money and see more and better quality animals. ID is a fun state, but I don't see the NR hunters coming back unless they insitute a point system or lower prices.

If ID set aside 10% of tags and set up a point system for NR hunters only (like WY does), they would get back all the lost NR revenue and wouldn't have to impose a point system on resident hunters. There are tons of NR hunters that would buy the license to apply for hunts if they knew they would get a point, and lots of guys like me would go ahead and buy a general season tag after the had the license if unsuccessful in the controlled hunt draw.

I realize most resident hunters could care less and don't want the NR hunters to come back. Can't say I blame them, I probably wouldn't want them back either if I was an ID resident.

Idaho is an awesome state with poor management (i.e. wolves, mule deer doe hunts galore, etc.). I hope things get better soon.

Big medicine is dead on!

If they want revenue implement a point system they would at least double their license sales the first year minimum!

And then when that hunter strikes out everywhere else he will probably buy a general tag.

Being from California I am somewhat fortunate that I know all of the results from my other states I apply for prior to the due date of Idahos application so sometimes I apply sometimes I dont. If I was to get a point I would apply every year.

Heck I ate a license this year I didnt buy a general tag.

and the 10% thing should be mandatory to be fair to the nr applicants as you could buy a license and apply for a hunt and no NR even get drawn that is BS

Grant the points thing was for the NR's. It gives a NR "something" for their time, effort and money of putting in each year.

If Idaho had points for NR's we would generate a bunch of money for "nothing".

Ron is right (o.k. maybe not ALL the big animals come off the controlled hunts, but from a NR's standpoint, would you buy a NR tag, take a bunch of time off work and come hunt an Idaho general unit? Without the local knowledge or time to scout?)

Thats why NR's go to other states, they can look at the points, plan when they are going to hunt and have a chance of success. Idaho is competing against the other western states for a limited amount of NR dollars, and losing badly!

Idaho is in the denial phase right now. Economy- hah! Why are Colorado and other states not seeing the drop in nonresidents?

C'mon Unsworth, you're a smart guy. There's little value for the nonresident hunter to come here. Period.

The Christian

There is also a huge understatement of the loss being disclosed here. To date there are;
4,752 Elk tags left = $1,997,066.00
6,126 Deer tags left = $1,848,520.00
1,500 WT deer tags left = $452,625.00

For a whopping total of $4,298,211.00

Which does not include several thousand hunting licenses that would have been required and purchased had the tags sold. Just another government agency understating the loss to cover their butts. If I remember, last years loss was similar in scope as well. 10 million or so over the last 2 years, pretty painfull stuff there for a cash strapped agency.
I can already see next years headlines....
"WILDLIFE AGENCY BLAMES DECLINING HERDS ON POACHING AND LACK OF FUNDS FOR ENFORCEMENT"
CB08

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-11 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-11 AT 05:00?PM (MST)

I quit going to ID becuase of the cost and lack of animals where I was hunting.

So if they sold the Elk tags that are left over today, they would make $2,738,628 (elk tag + License). Lots of money left on the table for sure.

Who says some western states don't count on the bulk of their money coming from non-residents. God forbid they raise the residents fees.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom