If you hunt long enough...

2 monster deer only 60 yards away at Spring Creek CWMU Utah. I was choosing which one I wanted and they ran and I missed in tall sagebrush. I had a neck up shot I could have taken but I waited. Skull plate could have been fixed if it had split after shot.
It bothered me for several seasons.

Oh yeah... I have 2 of those. The first one still stings the most though because of the size of the animal and the proximity of the shot. In 2006 I was rifle hunting some really broken up country. I stepped on the biggest Mule Deer buck of my life sitting in his hideout. Had a running shot opportunity at probably 60 yards, but being still relatively new to hunting I screwed that up. That buck was a clean 4x4 and was deep in his back forks, but it was his fronts that were amazing. Would have hit 30" with an inch or two to spare, and had mass for days all the way through the tips. I still shake my head right now as I write this, hoping that wasn't my one chance at a Montana PIG like that. Ide like to get THAT level of excitement again, but have a dead deer on the ground this time. Thanks for listening, im gonna go to my corner and cry now...

There have been two whoppers I've missed. One with my rifle, the other with my bow.

I missed the big one with my bow back in the early 90's. I bumped him the previous day off a high, above timberline ridge. The next morning I snuck out onto a slop where I last saw him and there he was, only 40 yards away, unaware. It was a steep downhill shot. This was before ranging compensation rangefinders and such. I took the shot and it skimmed just over his back. Seen the buck many more times during the hunt, but never got another opportunity. Would have been my biggest buck with a bow.

The other was about 10 years ago in Wyoming on the rifle hunt. Found the slug scouting and opening morning I had him at 300 yards or so. No rangefinder then. He might have been a bit further. I missed several shots. I might have hit him on one, but never found blood, and never saw him again. I guessed that he was probably 205-210.

Bummer.......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Gonna Happen!

Did you have to Remind me?

I'm still Haunted!

This Last Fall/Hunt I Pulled off a Miss!

I've Spent the last 3 years with this Buck & coulda took Him on the 1st & 2nd years but Figured I'd Hope Jr would Pull a General Tag & try & get Him in on the Buck!

But Jr didn't Pull a General Tag once again!

I Damn near Shot the Buck in 2012 but Opted to let Him Grow one more Year!

SMART SOB!

He Beds with His Buddy,one of them watching one way and the other watching the other way!

The Second you Peak in on them the Bigger Buck(The One I missed this last Season!)comes up with His Wheels Spinning!

Took a 200 Yard Runnin Shot in the Thick Sshhitt & Missed!

Gave Him 6 days to Relax & Return but to No Avail!

Spent several days looking and never could locate him again!

Gonna be Interesting to see if He returns to his Hide-Out or if He finds Him a New one? (I SPOOKED Him Good!)

I do have Proof He is Alive & Well!

I've Shot 3 Bucks over the Years out of the same exact Perch!

This one is gonna Hurt & Left a Mark imbedded Deep in to the Ole cats Brain!

Ain't a Day goes by I don't Kick Myself over this one!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-14 AT 08:19AM (MST)[p]Still regretting missing my first whitetail. Wasn't a giant by any means, but a solid buck for the area. I was hunting with a friend's gun, didn't have time to shoot it before the hunt. He said "Oh yeah, it is dead on". No rangefinder deer was about 250 yards out, wasn't familiar with the trigger or the scope, missed him clean. Afterwards we did shoot the gun to see - it was 4 inches high and about 3 inches to the right at 100 yards. It was a .30-06 so it should have been dropping right in at that distance, but I was probably aiming a little high as I was slighltly down hil and shooting prone, so I think I went right over his back.

Sure, I have missed a shot or two but have always ended up connecting on the next one or so, but that is the only big game animal I have missed completely. Ever.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I've got four that I'd like to get back. And since its a slow morning at work, here they all are:

In 2004 I was rifle hunting a small piece of land up Chalk Creek. It was the middle of the hunt and I was alone on the mountain. I had been hiking all morning, seeing lots of deer, including a heavy, dark-horned 3 point that let me get to about 150 yards before leaving his bed. (I passed him cuz my cousin had already killed a nice 3x4 with a cheater opening day, and I wanted to do better if I could). I was more than a mile from camp and crested over a ridge when I saw a buck laying out in the mid-morning sun. Back then I didn't know score or anything, but this buck was a solid four, wide, deep forks, and now I'd guess he was at least 180". He was about 400-450 yards away. I laid down, took careful aim, and then my radio crackled. My dad was in camp and wanted to know what I was doing. I turned off the radio, and when I looked through my scope, the buck was looking right at me. I rested the hairs high on his shoulder and let it rip. The snow at his belly exploded, and he whirled out of there and was gone in a flash. I killed a 21" 4-point the next day, my last day.

In 2005 I was bow hunting with family in Northeast Utah. An opening day tradition our family once had was to rise at 2am, drive all the way out to the Uintas and drive around hunting from the back of the truck. My uncle dubbed it "The Red Eye Run". In all the years my dad and brothers did this growing up, they never once harvested a deer on that opening day. We figured we would do our best to relive those days. Our expectations for deer were low, but we knew it'd be fun to be together and see some country. (Also, we DID NOT hunt from the bed of a truck). About 11am, we were trying to find a good, shady spot to stop for lunch. We were on a rutty old back road and new it didn't matter much, but we wanted to be able to lay in the shade. Suddenly, my cousin says, "Big Buck!" All the windows were down, and as I looked, the buck was standing just 15 yards from the little dirt road, head up, looking at all of us in the truck. He was heavy, 27" wide, and great forks. Definitely a 165-170" deer. The biggest deer I'd ever seen in the area. Frankly, we were all dumbfounded. We must have all had our mouths dropped open. No one said a word. I suddenly remembered I had my bow, and a tag. I exited the vehicle on the opposite side of the truck (my luck to be sitting there). The buck walked just behind a small aspen. We now noticed there were 3 other deer in this small patch of aspens, all bucks, including another 4 point. Normally, my dad would have driven away as I ducked down, but like I said, we were all stupid with surprise. So I walked up the side of the truck as I knocked an arrow. The big buck's vitals were covered by the small aspens, buck I could see his big grey body just standing there, his huge rack staring back in our direction. Then one by one, the bucks trotted away. I stood and watched him trot through the young trees, never even drawing my bow. Like I said, stupid with surprise.

The following weekend, I decided to return to that same area with my dad. At the break of dawn we were slowly making our way up the little dirt road again, when I spotted three bucks well off the road. It looked like the bucks that were with the big one the week before. Frankly, I was going to shoot any of them, but the 22" 4-point, about 150" was looking very good to me. I decided that I would attempt to ambush the three bucks. I made my way about a quarter mile ahead of them and then began working my way back towards them. The wind was perfect for me. Once I found a good ambush spot, I stayed put, and let them browse towards me. My dad drove the truck back and watched the bucks from a distance. He did this for a while before deciding they were not moving towards my position fast enough, so, he started walking towards them. The plan worked. The bucks decided to get away from him and began trotting my way. I was standing in a young pine tree surrounded by some open ground and little patches of pines. I heard the deer coming. Then I saw them. The 4 point was in the lead, followed by his two 3 point friends (one of which had bloody antlers as he had just rubbed his velvet that morning). They were coming through the pines and I new when I would draw, and hope I could stop the bucks with a little bleet. As the four point ducked his head at the last pine before a clearing at just 20 yards, I drew back. With the just rising sun at my back, My shadow must have spooked the buck. He jumped and trotted out to 40 yards and stopped broadside. His companions cleared the pines and stood at 20 yards, broadside and looking away at him. I was at full draw and I chose my target. I released my arrow and the 4-point "ducked" like I had never seen before. My fletchings were well lit in the sunlight and I watched as my arrow just cleared his back. He and his companions were off in a flash.

In 2006, while hunting southern Utah with a bow. I found a nice 4x5 laying in his bed in mid afternoon. He wasn't wide, only about 22", but he had great forks, and his fifth was a perfect inline between his G2 and G3. He was probably only about 155-160" but that's a trophy to me, especially with a bow. He was in some pines enjoying the shade. I started a stalk from around the mountainside. I came over a crest and could see him laying in the same spot as before. As I got closer, a 2 point friend of his suddenly stood and began to browse. Every chance I got I would take just a step or two. The adrenaline of coming to 50 yards, then 40 yards of this great buck was definitely the moment I realized how much fun archery hunting was. I got to about 30 yards and held. He rose from his bed and began to browse with the 2 point. I realized that some of the low-hanging pine bows were obstructing my shot. I opted to move a little to make it happen. BAM!! Busted by the 2 point. He stared at me for a second then whirled and ran off. The 4x5 watched him go like, "what the heck is that young'un doing..?" But after a moment he trotted off after him. The next day I killed my first ever archery deer, a small 3 point. But it was an awesome trip which I repeated with more family the next 3 years in a row.

Thanks for reading, those who did. :) :) :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

17 years old, I had a doe (whitetail) come running through with her tongue hanging out (during the rut). I knew no matter what I was gonna be shooting; buck, coyote or dog chasing her. Sure enough a monster buck comes barreling through. Stops on my shooting lane, I squeeze the trigger but nothing? I looked and my safety was on. I was shooting a model 70 with the 3 position safety. My practice is when I get in the stand I move it to the middle position, that day I forgot. He then runs a ways and stops again, I knew I didnt have much time, so I rushed the shot, jerked the trigger and missed an easy 120 yard broadside shot :-( He was a dandy buck, potentially could have been my biggest whitetail ever.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Every wolf I have ever missed... the one that hurts the most is a Black wolf in my stomping grounds, 372 yards sitting on his butt. Missed him by an inch or less. Still missed....

I find wolf hunting to bring more buck fever...excitement, or adrenaline, than anything I have ever experienced in life.

I was buck hunting on the AZ STRIP back in 1988 with my old Remington pump action 30-06. I was following a big set of tracks that were heading back toward the road where the truck was parked. The country was fairly open with scattered PJ that was partly burned. In hind sight I realize I should have been glassing ahead but instead I was tracking along, gun ready, like Elmer Fudd on a Wabbitt.
Anyway the buck got up from under a dead cedar at about 40 yds. I herd a limb crack when his antlers hit it. He was an absolute GIANT. He looked like A Herford bull with a 36in. wide tall and heavy 4x4 rack. He wasn't moving very fast, probably stiff from being bedded all day. He was almost broadside, slightly quartering away and just trotting. I thought there was no way I could miss. I put the crosshairs behind his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. When the gun went off I saw a flash of gray in the scope that I thought was the bullet blowing hair on impact. NOPE! I hit a dead branch from that burnt cedar tree and missed. The buck was now in full speed, turned a complete 180 and was broadside going the other direction. I pumped two more shots off as he was flashing through some trees but never touched him. He ran over the hill to my cousin who got buck fever so bad he missed him 5 times trotting at 150yds. Iv seen some great bucks in my life but nothing like that one I let get away.

For rifle hunting, I don't have many misses or regrets. Archery, some good ones. In 1987, I was rifle hunting the Greys by myself. I was 7-8 miles from the road, packed in with old, heavy gear. Got up well before daylight and headed to the top on the 4th or 5th day. Out walked a nice 4X4, heavy, decent forks. Maybe 170. He had two smaller buddies in front of him. I smacked him at just over 200 yards. (No rangefinder then.) He humped up and just stood there. Hit him a little far back, and was pondering shooting him again. A really big deer, 190's for sure stepped out from a tree behind him. Wanted so badly to shoot that second buck. But I shot the first buck again and packed his big (boned-out) body all the way out. There's a lesson there somewhere.

In about 2009, I was bowhunting and saw a HUGE buck, pressing 200" in some mahogany. He laid down under a 3 foot tall mahogany bush. I asked my wife to watch and give me hand signals so I could sneak in from above and behind him with the sun and wind. When I got behind him, my wife gave me signals, but as it often does, things looked way different from that angle. I was being super quiet, in major stealth mode. My wife sits up and starts lifting her hands in the air. Her hands were about 6-8" apart, and I thought she was giving me the "big buck" sign. I stood up quickly and started looking all around me. That big buck got up less than 10 feet in front of me. I still can't imagine how I couldn't see him. Or how he didn't see or hear me. (Maybe he did.) He trotted about 50 yards out, did a quick turn and check me out, then left forever. Never saw him again. I asked my wife what the heck her sign meant, and she said "YOU ARE THIS CLOSE!!!!" With her hands about 6" apart. Now I know. That buck had several cheaters, and big hook on one side and big mass. I found his sheds for 2 years, but never saw him alive after that.

I've also missed more coyotes than anything. But I've sure warmed them up a few times, too.

The first year I got a scope on my gun (that tells you how old I am) I had it cranked up to 9 power and a huge typical muley stepped out about 150 yards away. I couldn't find him in my scope and the harder I tried the more frustrated I got until he bounded away.
I was never able to even fire a shot and miss!

I'd rather not admit how many times I have missed some dandies. I have missed more great bucks than I have harvested. I get buck fever something terrible. Trembling, heavy breathing, sense of "need to hurry", kinda like when I'm intimate with the wife. Someday the stars will align when "the one" steps out again.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Two stick out to me...one was more of a missed opportunity even though I missed (impossible shot). I put a 88-90 inch antelope to bed the day before the season opened. At first light, I had two herds in the same valley. I chose the wrong herd to go after first. By the time I got back on the right herd I was belly crawling across the sage a 1/2 mile out when a hunter came over the skyline and spooked the herd. The herd started coming right towards me but look a 90 degree turn to my right at about 400 yards out. They were trotting and never stopped. The big buck was dead last and I missed a desperate shot...never saw him again.

The second time before laser rangefinders I missed a big mule deer buck cross-canyon. Laid the first round right at his front foot and missed. Corrected and missed again...off he went. Only shot I ever got at a really big mule deer buck...still searching for one.

Over 30 years ago, a buddy and myself had found a pocket of bucks in July. There were a dozen or more bucks. 6 were very nice, and 2 of them were real hammers. Back then, no one cared about score. It was all about "is he a 30 incher?" That was the standard in those days. We watched them all summer. They were always in the same place and very predictable. This was going to be a slamdunk!

They were both typicals with heavy racks; one a wide buck in the 32" range...the other had a tall, sweeping rack with deep forks, right around 30". Thinking back on it, this buck had to have been over 190 as a typical.

Opening day came with heavy rain. The morning hunt produced zilch during the rain. The rain let up around noon and we headed back out. Almost immediately we spotted the bucks with a bunch of other deer, several hundred yards away. They were moving away from us into the junipers. We began our stalk..him low; me high. As luck would have it, as I eased through the thick junipers, I spotted the wide buck bedded about 40 yards away in a sagebrush opening. I could see half his rack and his eye and ear on the same side. He had me pegged. I eased around the last tree and he stood and looked at me. Broadside. I put the crosshairs on his vitals; squeezed...and heard the worst sound known to any hunter...CLICK. He hauled a$$, never to be seen again. At the time, he would have been my biggest buck ever. No round in the chamber of my trusty old Remington Gamemaster pump action .06. I shed a few tears that day....

" If you hunt long enough..."

I'm hoping to hunt long enough...

Years ago before i had my own scoped rifle, i had to use the Ranch guns that i had my pick of. None of them were shooters, none of them were what i'd call deadly in my hands and i missed at least as many as i hit. That changed in 1969 with the purchase of my very own Redfield mounted Rem 25-06.

Yeah, looking way back, i missed my share but in modern times, last 20-30 years, them bucks that gave me a shot got themselves in big time trouble. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have several, we will start with last year, LE archery elk tag, make a great sneek/ambush on a 350" 6x6 bull into 60 yards and shoot just low under his brisket.

Also last year, rifle muledeer in arizona, after several days of not seeing anything older than 2 Im driving down the road and there is a giant 190+ 5x6 I was able to get two running shots at him, first over his head and between his horns, second inchs infront of his chest. Never did see him again during season, but my buddy seen him in january.

back in 2008 I missed a 370class bull at 23 yards after the blade on my broadhead just nicked a pencil thin branch at 20 yard sending my arrow over his back..... that one sucked bad.

I have drawn back on a 410+ 6x6 but never had a clear shot at him so didnt take the shot.(only head and neck was clear and about 8"s of the top of his back) that one haunts me bad.

those are my worst ones. but there are a few more. LOL

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I have one miss and it happens to be the biggest muley I've seen in person. 2009...A friend, my brother, and I, were set up on a ridge opening morning waiting for the sun to come up. We had found two bucks in the area the night before. One of them was big. 25-28 inches wide, heavy 4 point. I'm guessing he'd score 170-180. I had named him Wallee the night before. I wanted him on my wall. So the sun came up and there was Wallee. 505 yards across the canyon. His size made me quit using my brain because I didn't even think about trying to get closer. I set up to shoot him with my friend as my spotter. I fired my first round at him and my friend yelled out that I had hit him. So I chambered another round and tried to find him in my scope. But couldn't. My friend proceeded to tell me that Wallee was moving on a downward angle headed down the ridgeline he was on. I continued to scramble to find him in my scope. Next I hear that he is gone.

Irritated, I stood up grabbed the spotter and found him within 20 seconds. He had moved down a little and was standing behind a tree and his rear end was sticking out. I decided to take a second shot with little hope that it would connect. Knowing that I missed the second shot, we began to discuss the first shot I had taken and what to do next. We waited 20 minutes and decided to hike over to where we had last seen him.

It didn't take long before we had hiked across the canyon. We were not quiet and as I stood 30 yards below the tree I had last seen him near, my friend suggests I get my gun ready for another shot. As soon as my gun was loaded and ready, I see Wallee stand up from under the tree and we have a 30 second stare down. There was brush in the way and I questioned taking the shot through the dense brush. Maybe I should have shot him in the head. He was broadside and I didn't dare move. He was 20 yards away. I told my friend I was going to shoot. My friend was 5 yards behind me and below me on the ridgeline and had no idea the deer had stood up. He told me not to shoot until he stood up. I argued back saying that he was standing up and that there was brush in the way. He told me to move alittle to try and get a shot. I knew if I moved an inch, it would be the last time I see Wallee. But I listened to my friend and as soon as I moved a foot, Wallee turned and was gone in a flash. We checked for blood in the area until dark and found none. I was frustrated and wanted to cry. That entire situation taught me alot about what not to do. It plays over and over through my head.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-14 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]Too many to remember. Missed the first shot I ever had at a deer. A doe. I was 14, doe was standing board side 70 yards away on a bear hill side, all the time in the world. Squoze the trigger slow, like the older guys taught me, and hit the yearling or maybe it was her fawn, standing 10 feet above her, in the neck. I was the camp hero, never told the rest of them I'd missed.

Put three rounds between the antlers of a good buck running up a snow covered ridge on Parker Plateau. Mule73 (was nine or ten years old) wasn't overly impressed, and as i recall he inquired as to my shooting prowess. It must have left an indelible impression on the youngster in as much as he's mentioned it numerous times over the last 30 years.

Missed a large boxy antlered buck with my .45 cal. flintlock, at 30/40 yards on Thousand Lakes. I'm claiming an aspen twig was the cause of the point blank failure but I could never prove it. Dang big buck too! Bad, bad, bad memories. These close encounter failures begin to have an accumulating effect on a guy's open field self confidence.

Missed (twice) a heavy antlered 4x5, 27" wide buck with 3"-4" eye guards on the Paunsaugant. I was setting in a chair, with a cedar tree laying cross ways in front of me, .50 cal. round ball, slow twist Hawken style muzzleloader. 154 yards. Board side. Standing still. No wind. Muzzleloader perfectly set on the trunk of the cedar, no movement. Set the rear trigger. Took a breath, let half out, tightened the sight pattern, touched the front trigger, feather light touch, perfect shot. Deer walks off. Knew I hit that buck. Reload, waited 45 minutes, got ready to leave the blind and follow out the blood trail. Look up, same buck walks back to the exact same spot, this time facing straight way, I'm 154 yds. away and 75 feet higher than the draw the bucks standing in. Disbelief! Impossible! Binos up, same buck 4x5, 27" wide, 3"-4" eye guards. Same chair, same cedar tree, same set up. I line up on the base of his skull, 4 1/2' of head, spin, and lungs or heart to drop a round ball into. Feather touch, off goes the round ball, buck walks into the cedars, again. AUSM?

Oh ya, I killed him 30 minutes later, at 20 yards. I moved closer. (If it ain't working, change something!)

Good thing you are not likely asking for confessions on doves, quail, pheasants, ducks, geese and coyotes. I'd puke!

This isn't much fun. Let's don't ask about the near misses now! Those have far meaner memories that the clean misses.

DC

Up Big Cottonwood Canyon late 70's, it was early morning opening day rifle hunt. I had a doe come out of the pines and cross above me at 50 yards. Then a 180" buck came out of the pines at the same spot with his nose down. I got excited and shot at him, about 250 yards. I checked and followed his tracks, I missed. I could have just waited for him to follow where the doe walked and I would have had a 50 yard shot, UUGGH!!

Bow hunting in Murdock Basin, I was working along a ridge when 4 big bucks stood up below me. As I pulled the bow back they began walking. I miss judge the wind and them moving. The lead buck bumped my arrow, I found the arrow pointing the opposite direction the buck went.

Smokepole

Twice, two different years, two different
Dandy bucks. First was a complete buck
Fever cluster F. I don't think I even picked a pin
Just reached full draw and let that sumbitch go.

Second was a different deal all together. Hiked
Into a drainage to put the sneak on a buck and got
Busted at about 60 yards. I'm headed out of the area
And heard all hell breaking loose, I finally make out
Half a dozen deer headed my way and one is a pig of
A buck. The only cover is ankle high grass, as the deer cleared
The last clump of brush I drew, doe 1,2,3,4 and five pass with the
Buck trotting up behind. I can still see the exact gray hair my 20 yard
Pin was just below as I followed that buck until he was a grand total
Of 15 yards out. Just as I touched the trigger on the release he traded
Head for ass and spun out of there.

Lumpy, I could write a freaking novel about my trials with geese.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Conversely, I don't ever remember seeing
My dad ever miss. Back then they used to shoot
Deer and elk in the neck. Didn't wanna ruin meat.
The hunt would usually be me and my brother saddling
The horses and heading out in the dark to the old docking
Corral on top of Boobe Hole. Sometimes we got lucky
But mostly just got run out of the area by the millions of
Yellow jackets on that damn hill, more than one rodeo on the
Way down. Then we'd get back to camp and dad would have
Breakfast ready and a dead buck on the hill to go throw
On a horse. 5 years in a row he shot a buck from his camp chair
With a fire going and coffee percolating.

It's too damn bad that every generation of Utah deer hunters
Couldn't experience "the way it was".

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Early 2007 was having some vision problems and seeing the eye doc. In June I drew a ML Nv elk tag in the Ely area. No scopes allowed, so before the hunt started I tried different open sights looking for something that I was confident in out to 200 yards. 300 rounds later I felt ready.

Two well known guides had me on bulls daily, couple of 350's and one pushing 400, all under 175 yards. 3 misses later the hunt ended without closing the deal. There have been a few others, but none that have tasted as bitter as that tag!!!!

There were rabbits everywhere in 1956 and I was 14. We would cover the foothills weekly once the snow was on the ground with our trusty 22's. You had to be 16 to hunt deer, but that fall we were above Fishlake and Dad saw a really nice buck. He said do you want to shoot it and I didn't pass up the chance at that deer. Broadside and about 150 to 175 yards. I shot way over it. Dad said where were you aiming. My response was "Where it hit. Why? Remember the 22. Need I say more.

The Last story was the year 1958. Dad had a contract on the Bryce's Visitor Center being built and he had been there for months. I was finally 16 and he had given me his 25-35 lever action Winchester and I had practiced quite a bit. I was not bad of a shot with it, but as the season rolled around Dad asked me if I wanted to use my brother's new Winchester 70, 30-06 with a new fan-dangled scope(he was in the army). A scope, what was that? Most hunters those days used open sights and 30-30's but scopes were starting to be popular, but I hadn't shot one. We headed for the Pauns and after hunting a few days, Dad said there is a couple of nice bucks. One was a monster. I pulled the scope around, found the side of that buck and pulled the trigger. Dad said you got him, but why didn't you shoot the monster. Dad, he did look like a monster thru that scope!!

All these years and I'm still looking for him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom