Illegal to sell footage from Forest Service, BLM, and State Lands??

Wapiti

I came across this post at the following URL http://www.mossbackmulies.com/index.html

I found this to be very interesting especially considering the last years production of Utah's Raging Bulls. Will this new law inhibit the making of any such videos in the future?

""Attention Videographers and Cameramen
A new law also prohibits the selling of any video footage from Forest Service, BLM and State Lands. Anyone who produces a video to sell or is compensated for selling one second or more of video footage without a permit is breaking the law. Permits are required for every different National forest or BLM area you will be filming in. They will be watching any videos produced and handing out some heavy fines. You must obtain a film permit from Forest Service and the BLM. A $1 Million dollar insurance policy is required (which runs about $2,000 a year). This policy is nationwide for TV & video.""

They can still do it, just have to buy a permit now. Just another way the government tries to pick money from your pocket!

Land of the free and home of the brave. Where its subjects (citizens) are shaved on one side and sheared on the other. If the photographer was careful to not include any skyline shots the govt. officials would be hard pressed to figured out where the heck it was filmed.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-04 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]As far as I know that has always been the situation up here in AK on US Forest Service lands. They are now just enforcing it more.

Just like me (as a guide) or any one that uses public lands for a comercial activity (logging, mining, grazing), you must have a 'use permit' in place. With 'use permits' you have to account for all your use days and of course you must have an insurence policy in place that lists the US Gov as a co-insured. Many times the amount of use days you can have is under a quota system or tightly regulated.

In fact I have to buy my estimated use days in advance of the season.

Another reason why guided hunts cost so much and are going up.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-04 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]I have a hard time beliveing all of this. Do any of those photographers at Yellowstone have a use permit? I doubt it. There are literally millions of pictures sold each year from federal land and I bet not one person has a use permit. Will they force the media to have a permit if they are going to film at a federal courthouse?

Does anyone know where this is in writing?

Media is exempt, and still photography while still requiring a permit is under a different and much cheaper pay scale.

Thats nothing really new. If your made a profit off govt. land
from an activity you where doing you had to have a permit to do so. You have to pay 3 1/2% of your income from that permit use and you had a minimum amount of use to keep the permit. You could 'sub-lease' from a permit holder and they would just have to ad your activity to thier Itinerary. I often wondered not only how these guides hunt in many National Forests with out a permit but also how they could film and sell it without a permit.
I know with my permit it was a yearly sometimes quarterly bunch of hoops to jump thru........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom