I'm not suprised

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]So earlier today I was out and about doing a little glassing in Northern Cache Valley when I notice 2 Helicopters chasing deer...................This was not just flying over deer, but hovering 30 ft above them almost like they were herding them.........I thought to myself that maybe there was a study going on, but I thought no way, the state of utah knows better than to chase deer with a helicopter through the snow this time of year, so I made a call to the local CO............

Well I was wrong, Collaring deer this time of year................................ UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Why not in the summer???????????????????????

I'm sure someone will get on here and tell me some line of BS as to why they are doing it NOW but I really don't care, I am NOT HAPPY!!

Keep doing everything you can do to help our deer herds.............Good work team

How about we ring the phones of the division right off the wall monday morning.........b

Pretty common way to do it. Wyoming always does a deer count on the winter range this time of year. Post hunt, grouped up animals make it easier to count, usually only takes 30 seconds to a minute tops to count a group, then they should fly off to another group. If they are just hovering, maybe they can't count as fast as the wyoming guys?

Well, everyone is pissed about inaccurate counts. So they are counting them.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

These guys were not counting deer, they were COLLARING DEER!!! According to the local conservation officer.

I don't give a damn if they were counting them, you don't fly twenty feet above them and chase them as they run.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 04:33PM (MST)[p]
Summer = Animals run the risk of overheating and dying, also helicopters don't run as well in the hotter weather or higher elevations on summer range, deer are also more spread out and it would cost alot more to find and collar the same number

Fall = Hunts are going on and there are already enough stories about "black helicopters" during and around the hunts

Early Winter = Causes stress on animals that are still in relatively good condition

Late Winter and Early Spring = Causes stress on animals during their most vunerable time of year

Late Spring = risk of causing miscarriage in does almost to term

There really insn't a "great" time of year to chase any animal with a helicopter, but when you have 10,000 armchair biologists complaining about deer population estimates and decide to put collars on deer to get better data, something has to give. Hitting deer with a net gun isn't any easy task, it takes some chasing sometimes to get a shot set up. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

I'm calling BS!

DWR counts Suck!

We can afford to collar them but not do a somewhat accurate count?

I think you're all wrong!

I was up there yesterday!!!

And one of Deserets Top Guides was at it again!

I'm sure he was just doing counts!

I got proof this time!

6978copterslam.jpg

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 06:13PM (MST)[p]Another "I'm an arm-chair biologist and I know best" post.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom