Incredible AK Bear Pic

berto

Very Active Member
Altho I did not take this picture, it was taken by a friend of a friend and i am sharing it with all of you because it is truly awesome.

bearswithwhale.jpg

You will see there are polar AND grizzly bears feeding on both the whale carcass and the bone pile in the background.

The picture was taken last Fall at a remote location on Alaska's North Slope. I will be fortunate enough to visit this site myself this summer, altho at that time of the year I expect the polar bears to be absent.

Enjoy

muleybull,

i do not know what you mean by ethical. this is just outside a native village where the natives hunt bowhead whales for subsistence. the bone pile in the background is a result of the hunting since it is the disposal site for the parts of the whales humans don't eat/use.

The bears are likely feeding on a dead whale that happened to wash up on shore near the bone pile.

Looks to me like a couple polar bears are just really dirty from feeding on a rotten carcas?????

There's about a million Fat Chick/Rosie O'donell jokes a person could come up with for that picture!!

>muleybull,
>
>i do not know what you
>mean by ethical.

Don't sweat it, berto. It's just his sig line. It's in all of his posts.

Awesome pic, BTW. Pretty amazing to get a snap of that.

Jenn

>Looks to me like a couple
>polar bears are just really
>dirty from feeding on a
>rotten carcas?????

BCboy
There are Grizz and Polar bear in that picture. The shoulder hump and head shape are the best ways to tell them apart when in doubt about the color.
Later
Foghorn

AWESOME picture! Thanks for posting it. It looks to me the one next to the water is a brown, and the rest are polars, even the dirty fellow(a brown phased ; ) one to the right. COOL!
Imagine the stink from that sucker!

berto,

Who's your friend? I have a friend who works the pipeline who has hard copies, there are about 20 photos in the series. I would get them and scan more into my computer, but he's heading back up in 2 weeks and he's got them in storage--doesn't know which box they're in.

If I remember right there were 9 Brown bears and 14 polar bears on 3 whale carcasses.

He's got some great caribou pics too, close enough to slap on the rump.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom