Info for unit 10

Wes

Very Active Member
I've guided in area 10 in the Ruby mountains for 15 years and I'll be guiding there again this year. It's a tuff area to hunt for the average hunter. Steep country with very little public access. Anyone thinking of applying or that draws a tag and needs help feel free to give me a call. I'll be glad to share info with you. My first tip is if I didn't own horses I wouldn't apply for this unit.
Good luck
Wes
801-550-4973

nmbighorn
The Ruby's are split up into guide territories so guides cannot operate in others areas. You would need to contact the outfitter that has the permit for the area that you kill your buck in.

Rich.
With the difficulty drawin tags these days I figure if I can pass on a little info to help someone have a successful hunt maybe somebody will return the favor when I get lucky and draw a tag for somewhere I'm not familiar with. The late season is weather dependent. It takes a good amount of snow to push em down. The biggest hurdle is access. That range is surrounded with private property with only a few public access points, and those are at the bottom of the hill a long way from where the deer live.
Wes

I've talked to Wes a few times, and seems to be a straight shooter. I hope to draw a tag this year.

I believe Wes is right on. No expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've hunted the late archery, late rifle and 1st rifle. Late archery there was snow on the mountain and the deer were either low, or migrating (and rutting). I brought a horse but he stayed picketed the first week. I went home for Thanksgiving and he didn't come back with me.

Late rifle ended 11/11 the year I had it (it's earlier now). I hunted late. There was lots of snow on top, I was 10 years younger and didn't need horses on that hunt either.

I hunted the 1st season the year after the late archery hunt, about 2006. We used horses and camped about 12 miles in. We got 22" of snow on 10/02 that year. Great hunt, tons of bucks. We actually led 3 horses in with our gear and feed but the walk was easy not carrying anything. We shot decent bucks BUT I felt we were "optically challenged." My cheap spotting scope was frustrating, mid-level binos were sub-standard. I got home and ordered some 15X56 Swaros and a decent spotter. I planned on going back since it was so much fun. Next thing you now you have 3-4 PPs and Unit 10 isn't on your radar. After I burn my PPs, Unit 10 will be on my app for at least the next 3 years.

So IMO Wes is right on, horses and optics.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom