Info?? West Dolores River - Colorado

stanley

Very Active Member
Anyone ever do any camping/fishing along the West Fork of the Dolores River? The FS website lists Burro Bridge as a nice place. I'm looking for an out of the way place to camp for a few days in the SJ Forest. Someplace with water for the kids to splash & fish in. Likely in late June.

Anyone familiar with this area?

Last year we went to Haviland Lake. It was very nice, but I'm looking for something a little more remote.

Thanks in advance!

S.

:)

I have camped there many times. One of my favorites. I have never been there when it was full. They now usually have a "camp host". There is drinkable water most of the time from a manual pump. The restroom is a nice "outhouse" with no running water.

Fishing is good most years. Below burro bridge you can use lures or bait. Above burro bridge (the bridge, not the campground) you have to use artificial bait. Hard place to flyfish. Not that big of a stream and lots of trees growing close up. Some steep banks. If you are looking for a place for small kids to fish, this probably isn't the place. Requires precise casting, and you still lose quite a few hooks/lures to the brush. Most fish are 8-12 inches. If you are adventerous, you can hike up to Navajo lake in the Lizard head wilderness. about a 4-1/2 mile hike, and of course, up hill, but there is a nice trail. Very good fishing there the times I have been. Might need to check on the stocking of fish there.

It is pretty much private land until you get to Dunton, so you can only get access above that point. PM me if you have other questions.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the great info Tex! As I recall, you may have been one of the folks with some ideas for me last year. I ended-up at Haviland last year and explored the Durango area a bit. As mentioned, I'm looking for a bit more seclusion & a place where the kids can explore & fish. Good info on Burro Bridge....

Anyone else know of any potential spots in SW Colorado? Just looking for a nice spot where I can park the pop-up and relax for a few days.

S.

:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom