"Iowa Walking World Record" buck taken by teenager

Hockeyman

Not a western big game story, but a 15-year old Iowa teenager has taken what appears to be the largest hunter harvested non-typical whitetail deer of all-time.

The 38-point whitetail, known as the "Iowa Walking World Record" buck, was taken on 9/29 with a smokepole near Albia, Iowa. It has a green score of 322 4/8 inches.

Here's the link to the story on ESPNOutdoors.com:

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_fea_deer_IA_Albia_record_LB.html

Congrats to this youngster! Pretty amazing.

Hockeyman

I guess it was a youth hunt with a muzzleloader. The thing is...the kid was hunting with his father, and would you believe they sawed the antlers off the skull!!!! I mean, they sawed each individual antler off and tied them together!!! They're not even attached to the skull plate. I saw the pic from the newspaper article...HUGE antlers...biggest ever, but I couldn't believe they cut them off...oh well. Still a great buck and possibly the biggest EVER! Way to go kid!

Scott G.

What!?!?!? The article above made no mention of them being sawed off. It says they are waiting for the drying period to have them officially scored, and that it could possibly be the #3 all time whitetail in B&C. Being sawed off would disqualify it from being officially scored. Could it possibly be a different buck? If it is the same buck, what a shame...

Corey

My understanding is that the newspaper article photo was of sheds from a previous year, and NOT the antlers from the recently harvested buck. I think there are at least two full sets of sheds that have been recovered in previous years from the Albia Buck.

The scorers made no mention of the antlers being sawed off and they would know as well as anyone that sawed off antlers can't be entered.

Also heard the paper would be printing a "clarification" about their photo.

Hockeyman

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-03 AT 11:22AM (MST)[p] They didnt saw off the antlers... They are smarter than that. Thats why you dont see pictures of it yet, they know the pictures are worth money too. Here a picture of it live on hoof, not sure how many seasons ago...
:eek: some of those H measurements have to be 7-9 inches
http://www.iowadeer.com/demosite/listings/2.html

This year a youth in the Albia area took a 217 inch deer and yes they sawed the antlers off.....not sure why but I do know it is something they have done before...not a big deal to them...I also heard from a reliable source that they have been known to burn them in the pot belly stove :(

You won't see any pictures of the buck after the kill until the January issue of North American Whitetail. They have bought the rights to the pictures until then.

There is a photo of the deer's sheds from 2001 in the current issue of field and stream. They are massive!!! The head is at the taxidermists right now.

The head is already mounted. I saw it two weekends ago. A local wildlife artist by the name of Larry Zach had an open house and it was on display all weekend. No one was allowed to take photos, because of agreements with North American Whitetail magazine. He is huge. His one side has to be 170 plus inches of bone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom