Iowa Whitetail Info

Jeffpg

I have a couple of points and should be able to draw the archery tag for whitetails in Iowa next year.
I'd really like to get on some good public ground but would consider a private land situation if it's a good bang for the buck.
I look forward to hearing any and all advice you guys may have to offer.
Thanks

Missouri Valley area particularly check out the Loess Hills and the Missouri River bottoms. Quite a bit public land, by Iowa standards, to choose from and both areas have great potential to produce a nice buck. Have you ever been deer hunting in Iowa before? Search the archives and you should find some added intel on Iowa deer hunting. BTW when ya go don't forget the shotgun and walk some of the miles and miles of public ROW ditches for pheasants just incase you get done early.

Al

Thanks Al,

I have not hunted Iowa before.
I appreciate the response and will follow up on it.

Jeff

Jeff

There are some great spots in southern Iowa look at Ringgold and Decatur Counties. Both have a couple really good public areas. You will need to be mobile (lone wolf with climbing sticks would be a good choice). You can not use screw in steps or the like. Plan your hunt between November 1 and November 15 - no sooner or later. Do not even think about hunting pheasant in Iowa - it would be a complete waste of your time. You would have to walk 100 miles of road ditches to find two birds and maybe none. Pick a county and get a plat book-it will show you land ownership and serve as a great map. Do not hestitate to knock on doors, you can get permission. Look for areas that have wooded streams and draws next to big blocks of timber. You will not get on the best spots but you might get on the spot next door and during the rut anyting can happen. One day spent knocking on doors may be worth every minute. All do a search for MidAmerican Hunting Association - I have not used their service but hunt some ground in the same areas and they have some good leases with reasonable prices.

Russ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom