Is Alaska the only place?

tapehoser

I have been seraching for a guided hunt in the lower 48 (Idaho, Montana) that will allow me to take a grizzly and a moose together in some sort of package deal.

Is Alaska the only place where I can hunt grizzly/brown bear? Is it the only place where I can find a brown bear/moose combo hunt?

As yet, I have been unsuccessful in locating a guided hunt like that in the lower 48.

As far as I know there is not a place in the lower 48 that you can hunt Grizzly, I believe they are still covered by the endangered species act.

Alaska, Canada and I believe Russia, are the only places at this time where you can do the combo that you are interested in now.

Brian

I believe back when you could hunt griz in Montana, It was all drawing only. Pretty long odds even then.
ismith

Theres no where in the lower 48 you can hunt grizzly altough you can hunt moose, all the states are through limited draw so no your not going to find what you want in the lower 48 .

You still have to draw a moose tag and it ain't easy to draw anywhere down here.

JB

If you really want to do this, you basically have only two realistic options. You can go to Alaska, or British Columbia. Yes, the Yukon is also a possibility as is Siberia, but those two lag behind the first two in terms of practicality and liklihood of success on both.

I don't think there is any realistic option outside those places.

I think there are some private ranches where this would be possible if money is not a concern. I suspect it would also be possible on a few reservation hunts.

Flint, are you suggesting some sort of canned hunt? I hope not. I'm not aware of anyplace that you can hunt a grizzly other than in Alaska or western Canada. Adding a moose isn't that terribly difficult, as those two go together reasonably well. However, you aren't going to find anyplace in the lower 48 where you can do it, including Indian Reservations.

just as a heads up on moose/grizz combo hunts, most of the time outfitters just hunt moose in the hopes of getting a bear off the gutpile,sounds easy but 9 outa 10 times your not gonna get a bear off a gut pile, it does happen but not all that often. so select a hunt with one animal as a priority and then go after the second after the first has hit the dirt. Also see if your outfitter will move you for the second critter or you have to do it from the same camp as well as a time frame. 10-14 days would be a minimum for me forking out that kinda dough, you'll be looking at 12-17,000 for the combo most likely, exspecially if its brown bear/moose and not grizzly/moose. good luck
www.blackriverhunting.com

I agree with Brwnbr, you need at least two weeks to do it right, and it's gonna be expensive! That said, many moons ago, September 1981, I was on a moose/caribou combo on the Alaska Peninsula out of Port Heiden, and while we saw plenty of moose and I took a very big bull, we saw more brown bears than anything else. The first bear we saw was laying on a freshly killed caribou bull. We also saw, while scouting from a super cub, a brownie chasing caribou out on the tundra. It took about two days for a very big brownie to claim the gutpile from my moose. I didn't have a bear tag, so it didn't matter but it was something to see.

There is a combo moose/griz hunt avialable in the lower 48. Here's how it goes. You get a moose tag and hunt the wilderness just outside of Yellowstone. After killing your moose (if you can find one), gut your moose and leave it at the kill sight, come back the next day and you will have to kill a grizzly or be killed to claim your moose. This combo hunt comes with alot of paperwork to document why you had to kill the griz however so I would not recommend it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom