Is there anything else I can do?

wyobackcountry

So my bait has been set up about 3 weeks. I've got around 25-30 gallons of dead rotten cows and 10-15 pounds of dead (non game, suckers) fish. I've added "attractants" of liquid smoke, maple syrup, chocolate syrup, and vanilla extract to the trails and trees around my bait. I also sweetened my barrel with barely legal sweetener. I'm a newb at bear baiting and so far am having no luck, except a nightly visit by a pine martin. Is there anything else I can do to draw in a bear?

Wait another week. I am lucky to see a bear before the 1st, but usually after the 7th before things really get busy.

Will do. I did (half a$$) bait once before, a few years ago and didn't see a bear until June.
I do understand it's early, just wondering if there were any other things I could do to increase my odds once they start picking up?

Its still early. You will be ok. Don't spend all you're time or gas money yet. They are starting to move. It will get better.

Give them something to eat. you got all the stink bait you need. It was my my experience that they prefered pastries over anything else.

I would love to be packing doughnuts over stinky dead cows any day of the week. Unfortunatley in my area I cannot use anything processed for human consumption as bait, so that pretty much limits me to cattle. Do you think it would be beneficial for me to add a bunch of dog food?

I have had lots of good luck with dog food and maple syrup. Just dont take to much in at a time. The rain and snow plays hell with it if it gets wet. Let me know when you get a bear, and I'll have my beetles go to work on it.

Sounds good! Preacher I saved your contact info from prior conversations and plan on bringing you several heads this year. Good luck this year and I can't wait to see one of your giant bucks.
Thanks guys.

grease from your local burger joint, mixed in with sweet grain usually keeps them around a while once they hit it. .. also doing a honey burn has always seemed to bring them in.. take honey, put in a can, BURN THE LIVING HECK OUT OF IT until it turns beyond black. dont stand to close once it really gets going the stench is potent enough to give me a headache. . just some thoughts that have worked well for myself in the past

agree with all of the above advice, my only other suggestion would be to remove any of the dead bait that is rotten, I have never had any luck when the bait itself gets maggots on it, best if stinky, but not rotten. maybe replace with the ingredients mentioned above and results should improve. The grease mentioned is great for them to make scent trails back to your baits for others bears when they cross paths ( their feet get the grease on it and track it all over for you)excellent attractant. Good Luck!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-12 AT 09:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-12 AT 09:05?PM (MST)

I think you need to check you bait. The bears are out!!!

I appreciate everyones responses ang they give me much to consider for improving my odds this year as well as being more prepared for next year. Since I spent the time cutting up dead cattle I'm gonna continue using what I've got left (but never again). I will move it all to one side of the barrel and start putting some sweetened dog food on the other side. I'll also continue adding scent attractants to the area and may do a few burns. As I said I'm a complete newbie and am learning as I go. Highalpinemulie, 'bout time you posted! Can't wait to see the pics and hopefully we can get one killed soon.

i tried posting picks of a bear on my bait here in Wyoming. It said i uploaded them but they are not showing up for some reason. Maybe some one can walk me through it.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-12 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4143wgi_0062.jpg

5968wgi_0023.jpg

4812wgi_0063.jpg

these are from the past couple days. Nothing but rotten maggot infested meat in my barrel..

Leaving work and trying to put an arrow in him tonight! Hopefully i can get him to come in.

hey wyobackcountry,
are you hunting an area in wyoming that doesn't allow processed bait? if so, you can't use dogfood.

This sounds gross, but it is worth a try. Sneak a couple of your wife's used tampons out and hang them in the tree near your bait.

Males will smell that and come investigating, cause they will wonder if a female in the area is in heat.

They will also come and investigate if there are donuts on the ground also. No Thanks. Some of the ideas I have heard are crazy!!!

You just have to #1 get them there, #2 fill em up, #3 bring em back. Meat will get them there, and will fill them up, but you'll get tired of packing enough meat to do the job once you get multiple bears hitting. We have switched to sweet feed grain and it lasts longer than anything, easy to carry, and readily available. Cost can get a little much, but like I said it does a good job. After baiting a month it even will start sprouting, and they eat that too.

How does sheep or goat do, You can lead them in on a rope and then put them in a barrel sound easier then packing in old dead cow parts.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom