Is Yours Bent or Straight?

eyeguard

He He He! Now that I've got your attention... the subject is spotting scopes. :) What kind of eyepiece (straight or angled) do you have and why? I'm looking at getting a new spotter this year and am trying to decide on what type of eyepiece to get. I can see advantages and disadvantages for both. Please tell me why you went with what you did. Thanks in advance everyone!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Ive got a bent one! I did not have a choice, my father gave it to me. I can get in a comfy position and glass longer. I also have a straight that I dont like as much. On steep hills you have to get down lower or have your tripod up higher. It seems its not as comfortable to me.

I got a straight one. When I bought it, I did not want to go through the learning curve of adjusting to a bent one.
I probably regret not buying the bent one and getting used to it.

Biggest thing is the lower you can keep your tripod the steadier it is.

I have both, in fact 2 of each.

I have a Redfield and a Mirador, that are angled or adjustable to straight. Bought them cheap because guys didn't like bent ones.

Mostly I use My Sightron or Leupold 80mm. I can find stuff easier on the straight ones............but I'm old.

It ain't natural to sit for 2 or 3 hours with your neck and head bent over. Guys that paid $3k for Swaro, or Ziess, ain't about to admit that they should have bought the straight ones.....cracks me up.

I prefer angled. Easier on the neck, easier to share with other people of varying heights, allows you to use a lower, read lighter weight, tripod, and you can rotate the body and sit back when using a window mount.

I know some guys say it's harder to locate game, but I can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time...

Hey Nickman,

I'm one of those Swaro guys who spent big $$$$$$s to get a scope with an angled eyepiece. And I would spend twice the amount that I did again if I had to to get another one. I was getting haedaches after 2 or 3 hours behind a straight one for years. I've not had a headache while glassing since I got "bent". In my book there is no comparison. Lots easier on the neck. Target acquisition is not that big of a deal after a little while of getting used to.

Maybe find a buddy who has one and will let you borrow it for a couple of hours. Spend time behind each of them and you'll be a believer too.

I have the leica televid 77 with the angle. I have used both and I really like the angled. Thats not to say that angled is for you. You need to get behind both and see which one is more comfortable and how they feel.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Keep 'em coming. I have looked through angled spotters in the past and have liked them. I guess I just need to look through a straight one and confirm if I really want to go bent or not. It's great to hear all this feedback. I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

angled, it takes a little getting used to at first but you'll be way better off

I've got a straight swarovski mounted on a stock pod and you outta see the slowdowns and the lock-ups on the highways I get when pulled off the side of roads looking at the wildlife ect,ect,

Angled. Straight scopes are for truck hunters and bird watchers.
:)
--------------------------------------

"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom