Jason's 2007 Utah Bull

Hazmat

This is my first post to MM, so please be gentle.

After 14 unsuccessful years I finally drew the tag of a lifetime. I spent lots of time spotting and preparing and finally opening day arrived.

Most of the great bulls I had spotted were being camped on by dozens of people, so my buddy, Toad and I decided to go backcountry where I had seen numerous giants.

Then I got bull fever. I shot the first bull I saw on the first day of the hunt. Lucky for me it was this bruiser that stepped out first.

We spotted him at about 1200 yards and decided he was definitely a shooter. But we needed to close the gap and the bull was moving toward heavy quakies. We busted through some of the thickest stuff I have ever seen, set up and waited for him to show up. Toad was able to capture the whole thing on video (on a tripod, even).

The bull came into the open for a second, but I second-guessed myself wondering if this was the same bull. He went into some quakies and stopped. I jumped over my log rest to get a better angle, then, after 5-10 anxious minutes he whirled around and went back the way he came. Now I didn't have a decent rest. I couldn't get a shot for brush, then he came into the open and Toad cow called him. He stopped with a 14" quakie covering his vitals. I had a 2 foot window to shoot when he moved again and he would be gone. As he took a quick step, Toad said "Shoot it!" and I let the quartering away shot go. He went 30 yards before he piled up.

We spent 3 days packing this brute out, but it was all worth it. Thanks to Dad, Jeff and Toad for their help on this hunt of a lifetime.

He gross scores 387, with 56 inch main beams, 45 inch inside spread, great mass and check out the fronts. What a great bull. Enjoy!

46f7c4405d8f0fe9.jpg

46f7d6223a3baa66.jpg

46f7d66e3bfa6b8d.jpg

That is a awesome bull and a huge congrats goes out to U. That is a bull of a lifetime. One day it will be my turn i hope.

Thanks for not taking a 1200 yard shot.

Seriously though, I like to hear the excitement in someone's story and how they have respect and appreciate the animal.

Huge congrats!

Fantastic animal!! I hope to heck that when I have a tag the first one I see is that big so I don't have to fight with myself and my itchy trigger finger. Way to go!!

68hi7ls.gif

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments.

14 years is a long time to wait for a tag, but the experience was well worth the wait. I can't say enough about the LE elk program in Utah.

Thanks, Jason

Holy Cowa Bunga, thats another toad bull! Don't know how I missed this post , but CONGRATS .Those are some great pics and a dream bull. Thanks for sharing it here.
Gotta love western big game hunting....Larry
Gotta love ALL BIG GAME HUNTIN, YOU KNOW! AND I DO!

Awesome bull man and love the back country pack out picture. Looks like your wait paid off and you did it up right and got a great bull. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny

Wow, it looks like this big stinky was worth the 14 years of waiting wasn't he. Congrats - a bull to be proud of
Lambo