Javelina Finally

quest

Very Active Member
For some reason I'm not very lucky when it comes to harvesting Javelina. I've hunted them for the last 3 years and just couldn't connect. I've received some good information from Monster Muleys on where to go but I needed something more like a good luck charm. I needed someone who has harvested a lot of pigs. I needed Mark Miller. Mark is a taxidermist who owns and operates Mark's Southwestern Taxidermy. Mark knows Javelina's. So I called him up and asked if he would be willing to go scouting with me? He said he would! Mark took me around to some of his old hunting spots in my unit. We spotted some old signs of where they'd been but nothing fresh. Mark said, "Don't worry, it's hit and miss when it comes to Javelina."
After the opener and the next day and half with no luck, it was time to give Mark another call. My next goal was to see if he would now be willing to go hunting with me.I told him I was just having no luck. Mark said, "Huh, well I'll pick you up tomorrow. Maybe I can help you out." The next day we were able to find more signs but just no Javelina. I told him I just knew I was cursed/jinxed! He just laughed at me. The last day of the hunt was here and wouldn't you know it, I had somewhere to be at 3:00 pm. My hunt was going to be short. Mark was willing to go again and he even brought his camera. (He was definitely a lot more confident than I was) So we started up the mountain. About half way up we saw some Cous deer bust out across the draw on the other side.(My immediate thought was, where were they when I had my Cous Tag?) Right after we watched the deer make their way up the mountainside, Mark had been glassing and said, "Do you want a Javelina? I said, Heck ya! Mark said, "Well there's only one problem, their clear across the canyon on the other side." I said, "Well let's go." We got to where we last saw the Javelina but the wind was blowing our scent right into their direction. So we stopped, listened and heard one of the Javelina give out a Whoof! Mark pulled out his call and said, "Get ready!" Man, did they come charging in from all directions! It was exciting! My pig was 15 feet from where I stood when I harvested her. Was that a rush! Here's my Javelina pics. The curse/jinx was over thanks to my good luck charm and friend, Mark.

1398dsc02593.jpg

3117dsc02603.jpg

Thanks OutdoorWriter. I'll tell you, just seeing those pigs come rushing in the way they did was incredible! It really was an adrenaline rush! I see why people enjoy hunting Africa now. I would imagine the thrill being similar in experience (on a much smaller scale of course) :7

quest

Congrats "Q". That's a real nice pecary.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
-Ted Nugent-

Blackknight, to be perfectly honest...he had 3 different calls with him and I'm not quite sure which one he used. I preferred not to be nosy and just appreciated the expert effort he put out for me to be successful!

quest

Quest,

It's always satisfying to get a first of anything under your belt.

Over the years, I've killed a couple dozen javelina between AZ & TX and pretty much quit hunting them. When I would hold my annual hunt for a bunch of out-of-state friends, I usually wouldn't even buy a tag since I was too busy cooking and washing dishes. :)

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

OutdoorWriter, It feels good to finally harvest one. You don't hear too much about how much fun Javelina can be up close and personal. If I had to rate the (Javelina) experience on a level from 1 to 10. It would be about a 9. Now this would strictly be due to the up close & personal encounter I had :eek:

quest

That reminds me of when I started hunting. Back in those days it seemed there was more game. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

quest

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom