JUNIOR HUNTS

highcountryhays

My grandson is 14. I have been putting in for the J12 hunt each year for him. I am told I can put in the first deer tag for a premium hunt and the second deer tag for the Junior hunt. What I don't understand is how the preference points work in the drawing if I do that, especially for the junior hunt.

Using the second deer tag for the junior hunt drawing, will his preference points count for the Junior hunt drawing. I think if he gets drawn for either his first choice on the first deer tag or for the junior hunt, he loses his deer preference points.

I talked to Fish and Game and got a very unclear answer.

If it hasn't changed in the last year they are seperate. He would only loose points for which ever one he draws, not both. Good luck...

The Junior hunts are considered a "speical" hunt. So it will be a seperate draw, using the standard draw system with no points involved. In reality your Grandson could pull a J-12 tag every year until he is 16 years old.
Use his 1st deer tag app. to get his premium hunt or points. Of course, he will lose his points once he is drawn for his 1st choice on the 1st app. But drawing the J-12 hunt will not affect his points at all.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-12 AT 00:01AM (MST)[p]I put my son in only as premium Jr 1st choice only he drew a Antelope and a Buck Deer tag in same year!
HOWEVER WE ARE F'N LUCKY....you would not believe the tags we both draw with low Pt's!
points are the same however you can only get 1 point per big game animals species and not 1 Jr and reg they are the sames!
if you put in since 12he or she can only have 4 Pt's before 16 and that was changed 2 years ago because of a loop hole that allowed some Jr to get 5 Pt's before they became adults and drew all species applied for because of the 4 pt max was then at 5 which they had(it guaranteed the draws)its was the birthdays and was fixed! be they got away with it I think twice!

Well boys, looks like I am talking out of my arse! (Sorry).
The regs have changed since my son was putting in for the J-12 hunt 3 years ago.

According to the 2012 Ca. booklet, The Apprentice Deer tags are on a 50% Split system. 50% of the tag quota shall be awarded through a Preference Point drawing. 50% of the tag quota shall be awarded through a Draw-by-choice drawing. Page #14.

Also, the Question was asked if a Junior hunter will recieve 2 points if unsuccessful in both drawings. The DFG answer is as follows:
"No. Hunters may only earn 1 point per species. Junior hunters submitting 2 applications in the drawing will earn 1 point if they are unsuccessful in their 1st choice tag on BOTH applications. IF THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR 1ST CHOICE TAG ON EITHER APPLICATION, THEIR POINTS WILL BE RESET TO ZERO!!!"
Page #67

So my 1st post was completely wrong!
A junior hunter will lose all his points if he draws a Junior Hunt.

So, if I put in for a junior hunt with a second deer tag, are the junior hunts drawn before the premium hunts? Then if he gets a junior tag, he loses his points in the premium draw? If he doesn't get drawn for the junior hunt, then if he gets drawn for a premium hunt, he loses all of his preference points for both?

I want to give him the best chance for the junior hunt.

Here's another Question from the booklet. (Page #68)

If a junior hunter applies for a premium deer hunt on a 1st tag, and a Apprentice hunt on a 2nd tag drawing, how are the tag choices processed in the drawing? Which application has a higher priority??
The answer - "Neither deer tag has a priority. The computer assigns each deer tag application a unique random number. The preference point value for each application is calculated teh same way, the success or non-success of 1 application does not affect the other".

The way I read it, the junior enters both drawings with the same value of points. Meaning he could draw both hunts with the points. But for next year, if he draws either of the hunts, he will have no points in 2013. So if he draws his premium hunt this year, but not the junior hunt. He will have no points next year for the junior hunt, and would part of the 50% draw by choice.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-12 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]Yort has it correct in his last post. Use his 1st app for premium and 2nd app for junior hunt and see what he draws.

If he draws first choice on either application, he loses all his deer points after the draw. Max a junior can have is 3, so the best chance to hit the junior hunt is with three points. If you want J12, I'd do a dream hunt like Goodale on the first application and J12 on the second application the first three years, then he can actually try to draw something on the first application the fourth year. Points aren't taken away till after the draw is over, so the first application has no effect on the second application the fourth year.

max is 4 ...1@12, 1@13, 1@14, 1@15=4!! 16 has to apply as adult. jr can not draw a apprentice tag and a premium tag!(one or other deer only).
any qustion Glenn Underwood is great at DFG!(Call him he's a great help! and always get back to you if you leave a message!).

LAST EDITED ON May-13-12 AT 01:44PM (MST)[p]Not to argue, but when a youth applies at 12 they have zero points. Then one at 13, two at 14, and three at 15. Three will be the max for a youth. My 14 year olds have two points going into the draw this year. They're in for G6 on 1st tag and J12 on their 2nd. And I was told by DFG, if they drew on either tag, they would lose those points. Good luck in the draws!

Don P

I didnt put my daughter in for a x zone this year because I didnt want her drawing it and loseing her points going into her last year of putting in for junior hunts next year.

Not sure what the b-day cut off is my kids b-days are in may so I just waited till after my son turned 12 to put him in this year.

As noted in the regulations (page 66), a junior hunter must be at least 12 years of age as of July 1, of the license year for which they are applying.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom