Kayak fishing

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I've been out on the ocean a few times this summer. Every time out I see kayakers out fishing. Some times as far out as 5 miles!

The more I check into it the more it appeals to me. I think 5 miles out is looking for trouble though. Sometimes the weather forecast is wrong and there's no place to hide that far out.

I almost wrote the check for a kayak today but thought I better do a little more homework first.

Anybody here a kayak fisherman?

You'll have to forgive the nice lady on the second video:)

Seen some of the Locals in Alaska way the Hell out there on PISSCUTTER Kayaks/Boats!

You better Invest in something a little bigger Eel!

Them Bikini's that are out there 10 Miles are gonna Tempt you!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

You ever get more than 5 yards off shore Ziggy?

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

I've had my Malibu Kayaks Extreme for about 6 years now. I've fished with it on small lakes, Lake Michigan, and the Gulf of Mexico.

Very versatile way to cover fishing needs!

This was from a trip down in Tampa Bay.......

And Flipper stopped by to visit and scare all my fish away! LOL

My kayak is called a "Fish and Dive" model with plenty of storage and room. Weight capacity is 525 lbs which is good cuz I'm a big sumbich! LOL

Get one, but get a good one right from the start....otherwise you'll regret it very quickly! The longer the yak, the better it tracks!!!!

Keith

Rent a couple before buying to see if it for you, Craigslist has tons of them on it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I forgot about that Gator. Renting one would be a good option. A local shop rents them for about $30/day. They have several different brands, Ocean Kayak, Hobie, Wilderness.

The Hobie seems kinda cool. You can paddle or use the mirage drive (peddle) for trolling and hands free fishing. They're heavy and probably not real sleek for long distance though. They seem super stable too.

Eel

My brother has two and uses them, with his son, for fishing off the coast of South Africa and Mozambique. He loves them for fishing. I will see what type he uses.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-13 AT 03:09PM (MST)[p]I have two kayaks and the wife and I and sometimes friends ocean fish from them. I have been out more than a mile before and tried to talk 45 into going out 10 miles but he's smarter than he looks.

2311idiot.jpg

Anything that narrow......shaped like they are...better be carrying torpedoes before I get in it, more than 3 yards from the bank!

They got critters in the ocean that can use those little things for "sex toys"!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

mulecreek, thanks for posting. Nice fish your son landed. Interesting read on that link too.

I went to the kayak store today to look. On July 27 they are taking all the different kayaks down to the bay. Anyone who wants to can take them out for a test drive.

nickman, I've thought about that......a lot. The first thing I'm going to do if I get one is paint, in big letters, "NOT A SEAL" on the bottom.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-13 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]I was down in FL a few weeks ago and alls was found was the kayak floating no fishing pole or the dude paddling the craft, no thanx, we caught a 5' shark off the beach he may have gottten into a bigger one...?

4871air_shark_1.jpg

700air_shark_2.jpg

7599shark_guys.jpg

6430me_fish.jpg

Terry, do you have pictures of you trolling from a plane? That would be totally cool!

I have seen a few guys do it but I have never seen how wobbly they are with big fish. By big I mean Sturgeon. Here is a pic and a video of my sturgeon rig. Ron

7-5-13Rsmall_zps5a4bec93.jpg

Terry, my wife says that even with the sharks, I'll live longer than if I take up fly fishing.:)

Ron, that looks like a hoot. You found the honey hole. I can't hear the sound....do you ever keep one to eat? A friend of mine gives me smoked sturgeon a couple times a year. It's good! He catches them on the Klamath River.

I like your rod holders, pretty slick. Kayaks cost more than $50.

Eel

Our sturgeon are catch and release only. Some of the videos have poor sound. The Big air sturgeon has good sound. Ron

Me and a buddy of mine were close to getting a couple Kayaks a couple years ago..Then we saw a few youTube videos then we changed our minds...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-13 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]Eel, my son is very experienced in kayak fishing in salt water as he used one almost daily when living in southern CA. He'd go out and fish the kelps, and had a blast on his Hobie. I don't know the model, but it does have the pedal drive, which he says is essential if you're serious about catching fish. It also has a depth finder and rod holders, etc.

He sent me a picture one morning of some lobster tails and crabs. I called him to ask where he'd caught them, and he told me he got them the night before from his kayak. He said he paddled out about a mile, in the dark, and dropped his trap in about 100 feet of water. He said it was really hard work pulling that trap up time after time by hand, but the lobsters were worth it. He was out there from about 9:00PM to 1:00 AM.

Then I asked him if he thought about the fact that there are
Great Whites, Tigers and Makos out there that are longer than his kayak. He replied that was the one thing that bothered him about fishing offshore at night in his kayak. He also said seals can be a pain in the butt, as some of them get a bit aggressive in stealing fish if you don't pay attention. He said they'll bump him, and usually you have to hit them with the paddle or gaff to get them to leave you alone.

All in all, he loves kayak fishing. And, he's caught a lot of fish from that little boat.

So.....Eel....Did you make arrangements to remove yourself from the top of the food chain yet?

Just watched a video of a shark in Monterey Bay following a kayaker, and wondered if you had stepped up...

nickman, I made the big leap. I brought my new Hobie Outback home the other day. Got a good deal on it too.

I plan on taking it out on a shake down run Tuesday. If I live, I'll post a pic or two. Don't think I'll have my life jacket by then (it's on order) but they're over rated anyway.

Eel

Remember to bring your water wings.

Zigga, I'd like to run that around out on the fishing grounds and scare all the salmon away. I'd probably get shot.:)

Eel

>Zigga, I'd like to run that
>around out on the fishing
>grounds and scare all the
>salmon away. I'd probably get
>shot.:)
>
>Eel

Unless your middle name is trayvon and/or you are a blood relate of overtone brother James, it would be no big deal if you did.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Buck - Too bad the guys fishing in Australia can't have a firearm to dispatch or defend themselves from something that is not forgiving in what it eats. Love Liberalism.

did you see the one on MSN right now about huge hungry whales.
Lets do lunch.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-13 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]My new ride. I'll be able to take her out farther when I get a PFD.:) The Coast Guard would hang me if they saw me today. I'm about a mile from open ocean.

823hobiekayak_003.jpg

My home made kayak cart. There is no boat launch so I have to wheel it to the water.

4546hobiekayak_001.jpg

I opted for the Turbo Fin upgrade, to out swim the sharks.

4892hobiekayak_002.jpg

I didn't get much fishing in today, but I'm slowly getting my act together. One of my friends invited me to go on his boat tomorrow so the kayak will get the day off. I love being retired!

Edit: Kayaking is fun but it feels like floating around in Tupperware.:)

Eel

Nice looking. Question, How much did it set ya back.

you wouldn't of been able to fish in that thing when I WAS out there last week....you'd been more like that orca bobber that ziggy shared on this thread....

Gator, it's not polite to ask what someone's new ride cost them! The best way to do it is...lol

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...0.0.0.0.79.79.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.gQ8WvunaU7M

Pretty neat ride there Steve. I hope it gives you Thousands of hrs of enjoyment. I'll bet that thing would work well on Lake Almanor too! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hell Joey you know I'm never polite, But damn I'm still good looking. I figure I should find out cost of one, before I go looking for one ,So I'm asking him how much the new ride cost him.

I was just kidding Gator. Did you look at the link i provided? Some of those dealers have even more products to offer, some interesting stuff in there for sure.

Have a good one!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Well, I took the big boat ride today. Longun, it was a rodeo going through the jaws this morning. Not much better outside either. We caught fish, no problem, but it wasn't much fun. The season ends Sept.7 so we should get some more flat(er) water, I hope.

Gator, no problem at all. Joey's link is spot on. They do have good re-sale value and are hard to come by used, at least around here. They keep a couple in their rental fleet that they sell every two years. They sell quick at $1500.

Eel

I will wait patiently for the pics when you do your first "Eskimo Roll".....probably be waiting awhile.....LOL!

any updates and/or pictures.

I was glad to see nickman finally get into kayaking, although I think he is a little paranoid about sharks.

6213kayak_battleship.jpg

That one is fully outfitted for fishing.

>I was glad to see nickman
>finally get into kayaking, although
>I think he is a
>little paranoid about sharks.
>

Indeed!.....That actually looks like me.....and my type of ocean rig!.

Hope you are having fun with your "Hobie"!........and your new kayak!

Yellow? How the hell are you ever going to use that thing for sculling ducks in YELLOW? If you'd have bought one in gray or some dark color, you could use it to paddle around the marshes and jump shoot ducks, but I don't think it'll work so well in YELLOW!

Hell, paint it to look like a seal, perfect ocean camo...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Dan, you have a point but I thought YELLOW would be better for search and rescue when the current takes me 12 miles out to sea and darkness is upon me:).

BS, "Seal Brown" was available but I wasn't born last night!

Eel

LOL...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Thats one ugly scull boat Eel, congrats. Have fun and stay safe.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

It's not going all that great.

I went out Friday in the Bay to do a little fishing. The sun was out and it was warm. I'm out fishing and reach in my pocket to get my knife and my keys drop down into the drive well and right out the bottom into about 20 feet of water. GONE!

I caught a few rock fish and released them before that.

No big deal about my keys because I keep an extra truck key hidden in one of those magnetic boxes.

Then I remembered. I can drive my truck, but I can't unlock the canopy to load my kayak. Sh!t!

Did I mention it was nice and sunny out?

So I leave my kayak at the take out and drive home to get my spare key to the canopy. I get back and my kayak is still there, which is a miracle in it self.

It was so nice and sunny out I got sun burned to a crisp on my arms and legs.

Right now I'm re-thinking this whole kayak thing.

Eel

We had a great day out catching sturgeon. We got 10 on Friday from 2 foot to 7 foot. We had a killer day.

8-16-13-E_zps3aaa788e.jpg

8-16-13-B_zpsb3ea1967.jpg

Snapshot48-17-201312-37PM_zpsa2e751f6.png

Snapshot88-17-201312-41PM_zps685a0f01.png

Very nice Ron! That's some serious bend in those rods!

Maybe I'll bring my kayak up to Idaho! LOL!

Eel

I'm waiting to hear you hooked into one of those Big Tuna and he towed you out to sea.
Some great pictures Ron.

Hi. I have been fishing for more than 15 years. Recently my kayak broke down and I had to buy new fishing kayak accessories. I bought it on a useful site. By the way, there are also articles there, for example, the last one I read was about Fly Fishing Field Guides. Good luck)
Kayak_Selfpropeled.jpg

I guess it's true when they say everything you put on the internet is there forever.

Happily I'm still on the manifest at this time, but fading fast.

Welcome Kayaking! What's your location? My best kayak fishing buddy uses a Jackson kayak. It's a real nice boat. Stable and sea worthy.

Hey Eel!

I Always Figured a Guy Should Be on a Boat that's bigger than the Fish where you're Fishing!

When I Went to Alaska I Found out Real Quick that would Take a Big Boat!:D

When I Seen this Clip it reminded Me of You Eel!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom