kids bow???

T

tabbyhntr

my daughter turns 8 in 3 weeks and the thing she wants most is a bow.. well i cant disappoint my baby girl so what kids bows have you guys had experience with and what would you recommend???

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 11:43AM (MST)[p]I would definatly recommend the Protege, by Athens Archery. Here's their web site check it out www.athensarchery.com. You can even customize it for her with Pink riser, Pink cams, Black carbon limbs and Pink hardware if shes into pink like my daughter.She loves hers!!! Or you can order any other color scheme or camo pattern she wants.Truely an amazing bow, for kids........................and the adult models are one the best I have ever owned.

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 08:10PM (MST)[p]while the bow from athens would be a good bow for a kid smaller or younger then 8 "4-8 imho". I dont think It is a good bow for a kid 8 and above. Here is why

my daughter is 9 and she pulls 30 lbs so your 8 year old would max the limbs out on that bow in one year probably. So that is an expensive bow to get a kid for one year if you ask me. since it maxes out at 28 lbs or so.

The genisis is not a good bow either and here are my reasons
They cant compete in the recurve division cause they have wheels and they cant compete with a real bow like my daughters either. I started my girl off with a genisis when she was 6 and she out grew it in a matter of weeks. Meaning it was actually handy capping her scores to keep shoot it.

I still think one of the best kids bows out is the Hoyt Trykon JR. It is deadly accurate and is not a toy. It comes in several different colors and it also comes in camo if that is what you like. I purchased the bow first with the 20 lb limbs and then got the 30 and now she is shooting the 40lb limbs backed off. When she actually out grows this bow it will be pretty easy to sell for a decent price especially with all the limb up grades.

Here is my 9 year old daughter shooting hers. She has been shooting it for 3 years now.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

if you live in the salt lake city area bring your kids down to datus and we can get them shooting better then you. The coaching is free and we teach about 50 kids every friday all year long.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 08:42PM (MST)[p] My son started with a mathews genesis and he just turned 8 years old and i bought him a diamond edge by bowtech. This bow can adjust in draw length as he grows and also the bow will go up to 50lbs max. This bow will last him for years as he grows so i think its alot of bang for your buck.

Tabby, SW is right on about the Trykon Jr not being a toy...that thing is a weapon for sure!! If you can take her down to shoot with his daughter at Datus, I guarantee you won't regret it!! His daughter Linz can shoot!!

GO KOBE GO!!

~Z~

I heard that you can get 40-50 lb limbs for the Athens bow. Looks very impressive to me, things sure have come a long way since I was a kid.

I am not a big fan of the genesis. I would look at the mission menace! i looked at one in a local bow shop and was quite impressed! The genesis doesn't cam over which is why i don't really like it. that mission looks to be pretty good. never shot one or seen it shot but i would definatly look into that one

I have two kids with youth bows. One is the Whisper Creek (Now Fuse Freestyle). This was a decent starter bow. My 11 year old started with this at age 9 and outgrew it within two years. His 8 year old brother is now using it and loves it.

My 11 year old son now owns the Mission Menace. This bow has a lot of adjustment in it and he has a lot of room to grow into it further as needed.

I fully expect him to be shooting it for deer season in a year or two. It will adjust up to 52 lbs. Right now he is down around 30lbs and has a lot of room to increase at his current draw length.

I really liked the BowTech Edge too. Almost bought this bow, but it started out a little heavy on the draw. He wasn't quite ready to pull that weight. He would be fine today.

Most of all, have fun and help her find success early. There is nothing like watching your little ones shoot a 3-D target right where they were aiming. Success is sweet.

Started my daughter off with a Geneses when she was about 8 or nine. Good bow for her to learn form and have fun. Never had any intention then to hunt or compete with it. A few weeks ago she wanted to start bow hunting so I bought her the Bowtech Edge. She is almost 15 and should be able to hunt with it for the next few years. Draw length is adjustable and weight can be adjusted from 30 lbs to 50 or 60 lbs without changing limbs. She will never grow out of this bow.

Bill

I guess I should have asked more questions before recommending the Genesis bow. It depends what you planning on doing with the bow and how much money you want to spend. You will not be hunting big game or competing with the Genesis bow. It was a great fit for my boys. My boys started shooting it about age 5. My kids grow so fast that I did not want to adjust the draw length and retune the bow every few months. When my boys comfortably draw more than 40#s, I buy them a bow that is more of a weapon. The Genesis is more of a good toy.

My boy has a diamond razors edge this bow has a wide range of adjustments from 30 to 55 pounds from 22dl to 26dl so I dont have to buy him a new bow every year since they grow so fast
hes pretty good with it, 30 lb might be alittle to much for her right now though, but just a thought

my daughter just turned 7 and I got her a fuze. "G" is going to set her up with a biscut, release and get the bow set up for her but I'd like for someone else to teach her how to shoot. Where exectly is the DATUS center, and how do I sign her up for the friday night sessions.

Any information on who to call would be great.

Just4fun

ordered the trykon jr about a week ago from G. gonna take you up on that offer at datus Scott.....

My 7 year old has a Diamond Nuclear Ice that is a pretty sweet little bow! The draw legnth and draw weight have a ton of adjustibility. I think the DL goes from 17" to 24" and the weight goes from around 15 to 30 lbs. My 7 year old shoots at 19" and around 20 lbs so this bow will last him quite a few more years. You can get it in a package with sights, arrows, quiver, rest (whisker bisquit style) and a case for around $200.

hey guys the Datus kids league has been moved to Thursdays for the summer. this way it doesn't get in the way of anyone's weekends. I didn't make it this weekend but ill be there next thursday. see ya there.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

The new Hoyt Ruckus and the Bear Apprentice would get my vote. Right at 300.00 dollars you can't beat them.

We went and checked the bear apprentice out. Nice bow, but at my sons draw length the bow maxes out at under 35lbs. Not enough to hunt with.

I think we've settled on the Diamond Razor. The 60# version will get down to under 30lbs, but can be turned up to get over 40lbs to hunt with.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom