Kimber Montana Cartridge Advice Needed

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
First off, I know there's really not a bad choice here, but I'm torn...

I have a chance to buy a Kimber Montana at a very good price and I'd rather not wait on the time it would take to order one that's not currently in stock ready to ship. The available cartridges are 30-06, 25-06, and 280AI. The reloader in me wants the 280AI for all around versatility. My conservative side wants the 30-06 due to component availability and who easy factory ammo is to find in the event that I needed it. The realistic side of me wants the 25-06 due to decent factory ammo availability and plenty of components. Also, this would be the most comfortable of all the cartridges to shoot for practice. This rifle will be for backcountry hunts where weight savings is very important along with sheep type hunts in tough terrain. It would be rare that I would hunt anything bigger than mule deer or barbary sheep with the rifle though I could see it going on an Elk hunt if I ever did a wilderness area hunt. I would limit my shots to nothing over 500yds due to the how lightweight the rifle will be ( <7lbs w/ scope). I'm going to make my decision either tomorrow or Thurs so I don't miss out on one of the available rifles. Just wanted to see what you guys have to say and please keep the discussion between these 3 cartridges. Thanks!

Personally I would go with the 280AI then work up a deer/sheep load with the thought that I could work up an alternate elk load (with a heavier bullet) down the road if need be.

If it were me I'd wait for a 7 mag , but from what you've listed I'd take the 280 AI.

The 25-06 with a 120 bullet is too light for 500 yards and the 06, well it's an 06.

Stay thirsty my friends

I would go with the /06.
Greatest range in bullet weight. Especially for a reloader.
Plus the reasons you stated.
There are quite a few options to reduce felt recoil out there.
Just because it's 108 + doesn't keep it from performing.

I really want the 25/06 though!!!!
Enjoy whichever you get. Not really a wrong option in that trio.
Later
Foghorn

I guess you're right there is no 7 mag. that's stupid, they make a 300 win mag why not a 7mm mag.

Stay thirsty my friends

If your going to load then +1 for the 280AI IMO. If your going to purchase a quality custom rifle then the 280AI gives you the best bang for your bucks....gather your loading components work up a load and always take plenty of ammo on your trips since your ammo will be hard to purchase at most places. The /06 is a great rifle but just doesn't do it for me in something special like a Kimber?

Good luck in which caliber you choose.

))))------->

280AI all the way!

You'd have a great bullet selection, you can load up or down to accommodate lots of practice and it would be an excellent choice for a deer/sheep/ antelope rifle and would work well on elk too.

I shot a regular 280 Rem for years (killed a couple sheep, caribou and deer with it) until a friend talked me out of it. My brother shoots a 280AI and I'm in the process of building one. I have the action, Kevlar stock, Nosler brass and dies. All I need is the barrel. Anyone have $350 to loan me? LOL

Zeke

Thanks guys...95% decided on the 280AI unless I hear something in the next couple hrs that's a reason not to. I think i'm just gonna enjoy the fact that I reload and take adv of all the 280AI has to offer for hunting.

the 280AI ia a better than Good choice!
The .284 dia. enjoys a great BC and lots of bullet-folks make some excellent premium bullets for hunting.
You can't go wrong, period.
Zeke

Is the deal on these kimber Montana's still avalible and can anyone get the same deal? My family is looking to surprise my dad with a new gun and this is one we are considering. You can pm me with any info you feel free to share.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom