kimber montana vs. rem. titanium

beavis14

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-11 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-11 AT 08:28?AM (MST)

i am looking to get a nice lightweight rifle when i get my tax return and have narrowed it down to these two. but am open to suggestions. i figgure you fellows have some expertise with these rifles. my #1 objective is a shooter out of the box, no b.s. having the rifle once overed by the gunsmith to make it shoot. by shooting " good " i mean 3/4 inch-1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards minimum. i don't mind making up tons of loads but i want a shooter ! thanks guys. also want something lightweight. i picked up a new vx 3 2.5x8 leopold at a gun show for 150 bucks, and will be putting that on the rifle. i forgot to mention dont want to spend over 1100 $

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-11 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-11 AT 10:08?AM (MST)

Are you trying to compare the 1st Gen Ti to the Kimber or the Alaskan Ti? To be fare you would want to look at the 1st Gen since the Alaskan is a much different rifle. But really whichever one you are comparing - good luck finding any Ti for $1100. The 1st Gen have a real following and are hard to come by, the Alaskan isn't in production anymore and was way overpriced - but I will say I sure like mine. I have a Alaskan Ti in 25-06 that shoots well under 1/2 inch with 100 grain TSX ammo.

Another way to go if you do like the Remingtons is find a good used Remington LSS, drop it in a Ti take-off stock and then have the bolt fluted Ti style. You will have a faux Ti and probably come in under your budget - I did that with a 243 Gander Guide rifle and sure like the "faux Ti" thing since they never built a 243 in Ti.

Anyway, good luck both are a good option just depends on what fits you better.

To get a sub MOA production rifle requires more than the right choice, it requires some luck. your odds with a 700 or the Kimber are good, dispite what you might hear.

Accuracy is super imporatant but there are other considerations, like can you get the chambering you want? I much prefer the Forbes design stock on the Montana to the 700 myself. there is no question the 70 style extractor is far superior to the paper clip in the 700, I've had the Sako extractor put in all my 700's and cured that. controlled round feed is nice too.

If one was gauranteed to shoot as you want the choice might be easy, since it isn't I'd look at the rest of the factors and roll the dice.

My dad got the Remington 700 sps stainless 7mm Rem Mag. It weighs around 7 pounds without a scope. It can shoot 1 inch groups at a 100 yards out of the box. The trigger feels nice and smooth also.

My feeling is that you would do well with either of the choices that you mentioned.

If you were to go to the expense of the true Ti, another choice would go with the Kimber in their Super America model. It's in the $1700. range, same as the TI last i looked, but really is about as close to a fancy custom wood stocked rifle as you can get still being factory and have proven to me to be shooters at least as good as your requirements.

My neighbor, the shootist, has two of these fancy kimbers, a 300WSM and a .223, i covet both of them. They are works of art, don't weigh over 6 pounds, and consistently print tiny little groups...tough to beat if you like a nice looking wood stock on a gun!

Joey

Just get a Remington "mtn" rifle. They barely weigh more than the Ti version, and cost a lot less.

>Just get a Remington "mtn" rifle.
>They barely weigh more than
>the Ti version, and cost
>a lot less.

Both of which still weigh more than a Kimber Montana. Another thing to consider is that the new 84L Montanas should be out later this year....word is they had a couple at the SHOT show. A 5lb 10oz 30-06 length action rifle would be tuff to beat. I'll have one in 25-06 as soon as they are available to go with my 308 and 223 montanas.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

With all do respect, the Remington "mtn" rifle is not even near the quality or craftsmanship of either the Kimber or the Rem Ti.

In this case, as with many but not all others, you get what you pay for.

Joey

Building a faux Ti though can be a heck of a nice rifle. Find a decent new or used LSS Mtn rifle, find a 1st Gen Ti take off or order a new one from Stockys and have the bolt fluted. If you do this right you can be in it for about $900-$1000 bucks and have a well balanced rifle that all up with scope will weigh about 6 lbs 8-10ozs or so.

The 243 I did weighs that with a FXII 6x36 and shoots really well.

I'll just throw this out there. IMHO, your chances of getting an over-the-counter rifle with that kind of accuracy are plenty short of 100%, no matter what you choose. Then you can either send it back or have a good smith tune it up. If I were looking for a guaranteed shooter, I'd have it built by a smith with a good reputation who will stand behind his work. Just find an old 700. Caliber, barrel and twist are up to you (depending on the action, or course). When its all said and done it might cost you no more. Just a thought.

>With all do respect, the Remington
>"mtn" rifle is not even
>near the quality or craftsmanship
>of either the Kimber or
>the Rem Ti.

The only differences between the mtn rifle, and Ti are as follows.

Ti has a fluted bolt.
Ti has a titanium receiver.
Ti rides in a B&C stock.

They have the same exact barrel, and therefore their stocks interchange.

Therefore, buy a mtn rifle, put it in a Ti stock, flute the bolt if you want, and you have a "Ti" but with a stainless receiver. You will come in within a few ounces, and save a few hundred dollars.

Kimbers are a crapshoot...

4000, i'm just going on my bud's 280 Rem mtn rifle that we spent weeks on getting to shoot last year. Best we could do was 3-4" until we took out that hoakey pressure point down the wood stock and even then the best we could do was not near good enough for me. It was just one rifle but i'll now not own one as it's quality compared to a Kimber was obvious.

As far as the Kimber, that's your opinion. I've read countless threads in other forums on them and shot more than several. They have had a little bad ink. a little. Most and by a very large percentage believe as i do that the Kimber is a heck of a well put together gun for the money. If ever for sale, i'll buy either of my neighbors two Super Americas and never look back.

Any factory gun, any of them can or could have problems, i'll agree there.

Joey

I'm not arguing that the 700 would be a great shooter, but here are the facts.

New 700LSS...$850
bolt fluteing...$75
Ti takeoff stock from stockys...$200
And dont forget the bedding (kimbers come factory bedded)...probably another $200

In reality you will sell your LSS stock for $125. So you end up around $1200 plus your time invested and still 10ozs heavier than a Kimber m84 Montana. A new Kimber Montana can be had for $1000 and all the BS about them not being shooters or having feeding issues have long since been worked out. Its usually a case of someone not having the skills to shoot a lightweight rifle anyways. I get 1/2" groups all day long and most others do as well. Good luck.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I would hardly call a Kimber "bedded". They use a slave action to bed them, they are not bedded per individual action...which defeats the definition of stress free bedding.

And remington does what? Add a pressure point in the forearm?

>Building a faux Ti though can
>be a heck of a
>nice rifle. Find a
>decent new or used LSS
>Mtn rifle, find a 1st
>Gen Ti take off or
>order a new one from
>Stockys and have the bolt
>fluted. If you do
>this right you can be
>in it for about $900-$1000
>bucks and have a well
>balanced rifle that all up
>with scope will weigh about
>6 lbs 8-10ozs or so.
>
>
>The 243 I did weighs that
>with a FXII 6x36 and
>shoots really well.

faux Ti..love it. You know the guy that coined that term would crucify you over that 6x36, right? :)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]'15 in RP hulls, 200's, 105's, moly and a kiss..find pressure and rock on ;-)

Oh gawd, dont start that crap here.... theres a reason I like it better over here...LOL

haha, actually he is not promoting the faux Ti anymore. He is all about the Kimber in 7wsm...

"What about the Tikka T3 Lite? Never owned one but have heard good things."

Myself, i've never had, shot, or seen a tikka up close. I too hear good things about them, must be something to them beyond the decent hype. Browning too makes a light weight rifle worth mentioning. I've never met a Browning i didn't like.

Problem is, there are more nice guns i'd want out there than i have money to purchase them. If i'm gonna drop the coin on a new shoots, i'll go with what experience i've accumulated to have been tried and true.

Also, for me, i really look at what you're getting for the money. Value, a good deal, a bargain, resale value, and initial cost vs what extra coin i have to spend at the time...all important at the moment of decision or purchase.

Joey

I just found this and jumped on it asap! You Ti experts tell me what your opinions are... did I go wrong? I personally don't think so, as I have been looking for and wanting one of these for quite a while now. If I did, it's all good, since the seller tells me there were about 30 guys waitin' to scarf it up if I didn't. I'm sure one of 'em will take it off my hands if my fever cools off but I don't see that happening.

It is a NIB unfired 2002 year model 1st Generation Model 700 Titanium Ultimate Lightweight (verified by Remington Arms as per serial #) chambered in .308 Winchester with a brand new Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 Matte Boone & Crockett reticle scope.

Scope is held on with Leupold std. mounts, but I'm thinking I'll want to replace them with one piece Talley's like I have on my Browning Mountain Ti in 300WSM.

I have never owned a .308, having chosen 30.06, 7MM RemMag, 300WSM and 300RUM for my hunting rifles. But to me, this one is all about the Rifle, not the Caliber. Don't get me wrong, I do like and respect the .308 for what it is and it was my first choice of caliber in this rifle as I wanted a short action with the most energy available. I am sure that the .308 Winchester and I will become fast friends in this special little rifle. I will make it my Extreme Hunt Gun, for the Sheep and Goat tags I look forward to drawing. It may make it on an Elk or Muley hunt as well, depending just how much I fall in love with it...

Anyone care to suggest a good "all around" factory or handload? I am open to your suggestions. I have a few of the B&C and Varmint Hunter reticle scopes on other rifles and I am very familiar with using them. I intend to utilize the optic to extend my effective maximum shooting range with the .308 Ti.

Just for the record, I am sincerely counting my blessings for having had the opportunity to own this rifle.

Thanks
Jeff

You did very well.... Reddog will beotch bout it being a 308 but oh well :) After packing that dude around a few miles and some range work you'll fall in love with that rifle and caliber. If your gonna load for it....150 gr nosler accubond over 46grs of varget and get to killin.

Great snag, now neck the suck outta the 308 down to 7mm, and you will have something :)

If you must go fourth with the tree-o-hate, I highly recommend 155 scenars for everything, including elk/moose..They are a wicked combo with the 308, you get nice FPS, with a .5+ BC. You simply cannot do better on that case..

--------------------------------------

If rifle hunting was gay swbuckmaster would do it...

I've seen them for 125, but 150 is still pretty fair

>I've seen them for 125, but
>150 is still pretty fair
>
>
>--------------------------------------
>
>If rifle hunting was gay swbuckmaster
>would do it...

+1 on that, I sold one recently in LA for $150 shipped, this was for a new never used one.

Just FYI, a "TI" stock is also known as a Bell and Carlson Carbelite..There, the cats outta the bag :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom