king salmon moose

unclebuck

Hi Guys,
I have a september float hunt for moose on the King Salmon river planned. It is self guided with 4 of us going. Its a 66 mile float starting in the Katmai preserve.Going for 10 days. Any imput would be appreciated.Thanks, UB

Are you going to focus your efforts around Mother Goose Lake? There are consistenly some B&C Moose taken around there.
ROY

Hi Roy, The outfitter that has set this hunt up has not provided us with a whole lot of information as of yet. He says that in april he will be sending out a packet of information including what maps we will need. His outfit is called northern glacier adventures. Have you ever heard of them?
Thanks, UB

Uncle Buck?! Should be Uncle Suck. Ive seen the way you shoot. You couldnt hit the broad side of a barn! Ask nicely, and I'll let you borrow my .300 WM if you really want a moose.
The Muley Sniper

Never heard of Northern Glacier - I know a guy who is a pilot up there though - I will send him an e-mail and see what info I can get for you. There are some pretty good maps on line. I did also hear that the fishing this year there was non-existent due to some volcanic activity originating from Katmai. I don't think this will affect the moose though, just don't count on fishing there.
ROY

Thats disappointing to hear about the fishing, I guess that just means more time and effort into moose hunting. UB

I saw Unclebuck drop a buck in his tracks one day with that .270. Good luck with the moose, sure wish I could swing it somehow. I would come home and all my hunting crap would be sold and she wouldn't care how much she made.

Thanks Stickslinger, I guess muleysniper must have already forgot that. Come to think of it I don't remember him sniping anything he could put a tag on last season. Must be eating alot of track soup

We had a great trip! Went 3 for 4 worked our butts off. One was 76.5" wide went BC. Hope to do it again someday. UB

Great! - thanks for the update! Would love to see the pics! Congrats!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

What part of the trip did you score on. Tell us the whole story if you don't mine. Thanks

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Well, I'm not the greatest story teller. But to make it short we hunted 3 days seeing very little moose sign but a lot of bears to keep things interesting.On day four I had an opportunity at the big one but only had a straight on shot which I chose not to take. Day 5 was totally socked in and never cleared until late afternoon. My buddy and I decided to see if we could call the big guy out. After much calling and raking we decided to split up and meet back at the raft.After 10 minutes apart I heard my partner shooting.... The monarch had fallen. He shot him at 75 yards. The next day the four of us butchered and packed meat(75 yard pack) then broke camp and continued our journey down river. The morning of day seven I watched a bull bed a mile away. After a 3 hour stalk in pouring rain and high winds I killed my first bull moose at 30 yards in its bed. The pack out just about killed us as we had to pull a raft up river a mile and a half then pack meat a half mile to the river.The next morning brought the same miserable conditions. Moving slowly our other 2 buddies decided to give her hell. After 15 minutes here they come strolling back to camp. The bugs are just to bad to hunt.... Really? NOT!!! They had just shot the third bull of our trip 1/4 mile from camp. This was a great hunt with great friends that I will never forget. UB

Here's a pic of the big one. It would take my old man a month to figure out how to post a pic ;-)
gregmoose.jpg

That's an awesome bull. Glad you guys had a great trip. I hope I have as much fun as you guys did.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom