Knight Bighorn Accuracy Problems

P

Pathfinder

My Dad gave me his Knight Bighorn Rifle the other day . It is having some serious accuracy problems.We've tried hundreds of loads to no avail. I called Knight this morning and they told me to use the Knight 50 cal/250gr. BARNES RED HOT BULLETS with 90 to 110 grains of Pyrodex. If that load doesn't work, I need to send one of the bullets and the rifle in to them. Has anyone else had problems with the Bighorn? We have been lucky to get 1 shot on a paper plate at 50 yards.
:-(
J.T.

I have been shooting a Bighorn for 4 years now and at 50 yds. with the 300gr SST's, I can clover leaf my groups with open sights. Good luck to you, and let us know what you find out.

was having the same problem. but a little thing called a bullet aliner in the ram rod and the problem was fixed. now it is a tack driver when I am on. if that doesn't help then send the gun back

Laters

T

a bullet aliner(sp) is a small thing put on the ram rod and seats the bullet square in the barrel. it is the diam of the barrel 45, 50, etc. on the barnes bullet I had problems, I was seating it at different angles so I shot all over the paper. once I put aliner on I got consistancy with my shots. Most good sporting good stores have them.

laters

T

My Bighorn shoots fine, it shoots better than I do : ). I have been shooting a 300gr XTP's and 100 gr of T7. This year I want to try Powerbelts or the new Dead Center bullets.

Mark

Pathfinder

What bullets were you trying in the Knight? Their barrels are slightly overbore & require tighter tolerances found on Knight, Barnes, Hornady bullets.

Also... how old is your powder & was it ever exposed to different/extreme temperatures or moisture?

"Sometimes we're the dog -- sometimes we're the fire hydrant"

I shoot a 250 gr. Barnes red hot bullet w/2 Pyrodex pellets and a Burris Fullfield 2 scope its the most consistant gun i own. I have bagged deer from 80 yds to 150 yds. My father in law And Brother in law also shoot this gun with this setup. I have witnessed some amazing shots with this setup including an Antelope at 195 yds. I suggest you use this same setup when you sight your gun in as well as the field. you should be able with a good rest to put three shots in a Quarter size at 100 yds.

I've had no accuracy problems either, when my Bighorn included a scope.

However, now I'm using Fiber Optic sights since my next hunt is in CO. I can't seem to do better than 5-6" groups at 100. Using 245 gr. Powerbelts with 120 gr. Pyrodex.

Is this just my 43-yr. old eyes, or do I need to try another load/bullet?

Thx.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-04 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]DougW,
Some people may disagree with me but 5-6in. groups are good. I wouldn't change a thing, after the seasons are over play with other combos. As the old saying goes, practice, practice,practice.
I'll bet you can get those groups a little smaller, but really you'll hit a limit at around 4 inches, at least I have.
BTW, I truly believe, if a hunter can put all his shots in an 8in. bullseye from the shooting positions he will use while hunting, he's good to go. Just my $.02 Good luck.

DougW

If you can find an aperature rear sight give that a try. I shoot irons in competition all the time. Aperature rear sights make shooting much easier. With aperatures I can shoot groups as tight as I can with a scope (centerfire and rimfire guns)

Jeff

Jeff and others-thanks for the response. Does the aperture rear sight replace what's on there, which is basically 2 tiny green rods that create those 2 dots in the sight pattern? Also, the aperture creates a circular shape, correct?

Doug,

I think what he means, is a peep style sight like a Williams. Maybe try the 295 and 348, starting out around 95-100 grains of powder and see what you come up w/.

The peep will definitely improve the accuracy capabilities of your gun. This late in the game, you may just want to try different bullet/load combo's.

The last time out w/ my peep sighted muzz, I shot 10 times into a bull @ 100 yards. Out of those 10, 5 shots were under an inch w/ the remaining all falling inside of 2". This was also accomplished while trying out 3 different powder charge amounts. These muzzleloaders are capable of extreme accuracy. Just take a bit of tinkering too figure out what they like!

Doug,

I also had trouble with the "fire sights" (46yr old eyes). I kept the front sight but went to a peep sight in the rear and things improved dramatically. I can still shoot a buckhorn type rear pretty well but the firesight rear was too much for me- and it seemed worse in low light. They looked great in the store but on the range or in the field it was difficult to focus.
You can try different aperatures to find what's comfortable for you. Right now I'm using a Merit adjustable aperature but I suspect for hunting you could use a fairly large opening. My eye seems to center the glowing bead pretty well and it gives you one less plane to have to focus on.

Dean

That's some fine open sight shooting OSOK, I need lessons from you :) I actually shot a sub one inch 3 shot group off a rest yesterday and I was all smiles?at 50yds.

Doug

Yep some folks call them peep sights. Its a rear sight, capable of windage and elevation changes that has a circular hole it it. Size of hole depends on how close you are to it with your eye, and how good or bad your vision is.

You rely on a notch rear sight on most guns. Then they come up with this line the dot up BS. (to me its bs anyway cause it causes glare to my eyes) You can only focus on one plane at a time. And that focus needs to be on the front sight ONLY. With a notch rear you are constantly having to refocus to check. With an aperture rear you still have to pay attention to sight alignment but your eye naturally wants to place the post in the middle to start with. So you can pay more attention to the front sight focus and breaking a clean shot.

Personally I won't use fire type sights just as I can't use red or orange sight in targets with a scope. Too much glare and nothing is clear about your sight. I take a normal front sight and file it square. I may have a hard time finding a normal one nowdays. But did it on my TC Hawkens. Makes the top of the post flat for a certain elevation instead of a round ball up front. In fact painting the front sight post flat black helps get rid of excess glare there and thats a good thing.

Now days I am not sure how you have to mount a rear sight. But I do know that I've adapted aperture rear sights to every rifle I've wanted to so far in one way or another. Worst case some screw onto weaver bases.

If you can get one that has external knobs for elevation you can click in elevation changes for differing yardages too.

Good luck, at 39 I use a .052 rear aperture on my match rifles but my sight is about an inch from my nose. For hunting I'd go a bit bigger for more light. But at some point you find the right size that allows the front sight to be crystal clear. Thats what you want. The target can and will most likely be very fuzzy. Its the front sight that matters.

Jeff

Jeff

I had accuracy problems with another muzz. I was shooting a .44 cal Hornady xtp 240 grain. I switched to a .45 cal xtp and my accuracy problems ended. I also had the same problem with my 45 cal muzz. I was shooting a .38 cal bullet and switched to a .40 cal bullet and the problem was solved. I talked to a local gun shop that claimed a thinner sabot and bigger bullet is better than a thicker sabot and smaller bullet. Now I am a believer in that idea. Maybe that will help you. When I say accuracy problems it is like what you discribed earlier I couldn't even tell where I was hitting. Then when I switched I was shooting great groups at 100 yrds. with open sights. (Peep sight) which I am also a fan of. I don't have a fiber optic on the front I went with an after market front bead or cross hair front sight.(Depends on which gun I am useing)
That is what helped me maybe you could try that?

OSOK-

Thanks for the advice (and thanks to you other guys too).

Well, sorry for the delay, but I finally got 3-4" groups at 100 yards with the Powerbelt aerotip 295 gr, 110 gr. Pyrodex. It's time to hunt.

In the meantime I'll take the 2004 bonehead award(s) for shooting out 2 ramrods because I forgot to remove them before I shot. Those things must disintegrate because I could find nothing (including holes in the target) after the shots.

It's also not easy finding replacement ramrods for a Knight these days....

DougW

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom