Knight Disc Extreme VS "new muzzleloader"

Jeffpg

I hunt Colorado with a muzzleloader for mule deer and elk, and have a decent set-up with my pair of Knight Mk-85's which I installed the 209 Primer conversion kit in. I currently get great accuracy with 90 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7 behind the 338 gr. Powerbelt Platinum bullet from both rifles which are also set up with a Williams peep sight and fiber optic on front. All is well... BUT,

I want a rig that I can shoot Blackhorn 209 powder and Thor bullets with. I want the improved terminal performance of the Thor (or similar bullet) especially on the elk. The bullets will work in my MK's, but it is NOT recommend to shoot the Blackhorn through my MK-85's.

I would also like to be able to mount a scope on the rig for hunting states where they are allowed, like New Mexico. I prefer to stay with the Thor, or whichever conical proves to be accurate in the rifle.

I have the opportunity to pick up a nicely modified Stainless Knight Disc Extreme .50 cal muzzleloader with a thumbhole stock. The rifle is in excellent condition with the following mods:

- Lehigh Bullet Generation II breech plug. The breech plug is designed for using Blackhorn 209 black powder.
- Gunn Innovations ramrod. A ramrod of better quality than the factory Knight ramrod the rifle came with.
- Spin Jag. A loading / cleaning jag installed at the end of the Gunn Innovations ramrod.
- Talley Quick Detachable Rings & Talley Bases. The quick detach rings make cleaning easier, are great for states that don't allow scopes, and / or you just want to use the fiber optic iron sights.

I can get the rifle for about $400.00. I know these are good rifles, being possibly the best that Knight produced, and they seem to have quite a fan base. I have always been a fan of them myself, and as far as I can tell, this rifle should really fit my needs.

I like it a lot, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the deal.
Before I do, I'd like to get some of you guy's opinion. Should I go for the old school Knight, or one of the newer products out there?

Thanks,
Jeff

Accuracy wise, I doubt the new models will be any better. The Leghigh modification is the only real upgrade the new "mountaineer" has. Bottom line is if you get it and its shoots accurately, you can't beat that deal. Whether or not it will shoot the new Thors is up to the individual gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom