Knight Long range hunter/ BH 209?

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Will this gun shoot Blackhorn 209?

How about conicals? Anyone with personal experience?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yep, I did find that link, thanks for posting. I pulled the trigger on buying a LRH from Cabelas (1/2 price sale). Hopeully it will live up to the hype.

txhunter58

txhunter58...

I now have just over 6,000 rounds through my "Long Range Hunter" (about 2,500 with BH209)...and it still shoots as good as the day I first pulled the trigger back in June 2006.

My most accurate load has been 110-grains of BH209 with the 300-grain Harvester Muzzleloading "Scorpion PT Gold". When all is right, including me, the rifle and load will generally print inside of an inch at 100 yards. And I have punched a number of sub 1/2-inch groups witht he combo.

Two great primers for me have been the CCI 209M and the Remington STS. I use the non FPJ bare-primer conversion in my rifle.

Did your rifle come with both breechplugs (for FPJ & for bare primer) and the conversion insert for the face of the bolt?

Toby Bridges

Hey Toby!

Do you know if anyone ever made a "conversion" away from the FPJ for the Wolverine/Bighorn plunger type actions? If so, I would be very interested. I have seen the one you have referred to on the bolt guns. Just curious and thought that you might have the "inside" scoop.

FH

I did help with the development of the Wolverine back in '93-'94, and have shot one of the Bighorn models (belongs to a nephew) a bit several years ago. But, I have to admit that I don't know if there is a NON FPJ conversion for that system...

But I'll bet I can find out for you.

Check back tomorrow afternoon.

Toby Bridges
www.hpmuzzleloading.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-09 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]Thanks Toby!

I shoot a Wolverine 209 with the 26" barrel (essentially a Bighorn) and have bought the musket/#11 conversion for it too. I am shocked at how accurate this rifle is with the FPJ but would love to just put in a 209 primer and be ready to go.

I will check back and see what you find out.

FH

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-09 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]

Just got my rifle today! She is a pretty thing! Got the sandstone, normal stock configuration

It does come with both breechplugs and the insert for the bare primer conversion (I got mine through Cabelas).

I plan on shooting it this weekend and see what she can do.

I hunt Colorado, so I am limited to open sights and conicals. I will be chasing a cow elk in september.

I will be trying to dial in some 350 gr Hornady FPB with BH 209 and Remington STS primers. I also got some Thor bullets to try (247 gr).

Toby: the bare primer breechplug is CONVEX (domes on the end). This won't be a problem with BH 209? The FPJ plug is concave.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-09 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]

Well, I shot her today and so far so good, sort of. I was using the FPJ setup, with Remington STS primers, 90 gr BH 209 and the Hornady FPBs. First three shots were hangfires. That had me concerned, but was using an old box of primers. Switched to a brand new box and didn't have another hangfire. Not sure if it was the primers or maybe the oils in the barrel that it was shipped with? I forgot to bring anything to really clean the barrel before I loaded it the first time, so just ran a couple of patches through it and then popped a couple of caps.

Once it started shooting reliably, I moved back to 100 yards and it was in the 3" group range from the start. Got too hot and ran out of time, so couldn't try any other combos, but for me with open sights, that is pretty good.

Couple of questions:

Should I be worried about the hangfires? I really don't know if it was just being a new gun or if I really might have a problem wtih these primers. I am going to try and pick up some CCIM primers and try them.

Will I be more likely to have hangfires with the bare primer set up with the dome breech plug?

Can you reuse the Full plastic jackets more than once at the range? They seemed to be in pretty good shape after one use, but I have never used them before.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-09 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]txhunter58, so what did you find out about the plastic primers for your LRH? I just bought one myself and ordered one form Cabela's today, not bad for the $400.00, I'm looking forward to this gun to prove itself. It seems allot of folks are using the BH209 powder, have you tried any things else like RS or even black powder in the rifle?

I just received my long range hunter from the UPS guy the other day . I thought that was a pretty good deal from Cabelas , so I had to get one . A information disk that comes with the rifle , and the owners booklet say the plastic inserts are not reusable .
I also have a older knight that uses a slightly different plastic disk . I have never tried to reuse them , since they are pretty cheap to buy .
I put that Leupold muzzle loader scope on the long range hunter , and I will get to the range on Wednesday to sight it in .

I have not had any more hangfires after the first three. It must have been the oil they put in the gun for storage.

Talked to some guys who say they routinely reuse the plastic primer pockets 4-5 times at the range. Tried it and they were still tight to put the primers in and they worked fine. I will always use a new one for hunting. They are pretty cheap, but reuse them 5 times and they are 2 cents per shot instead of 10 cents.

Have not used anything but BH 209 in this gun, and that is what I will be using this fall. Just has so many advantages for me. However, I have heard that Pyrodex and 777 work well.

I am using both Remington STS and CCI 209M primers. So far the STS has a slight advantage accuracy wise, but have not finished working up a load.

txhunter58

Sorry I've been absent a few days...had company in from Tennessee and we did a little camping and fishing up in the Bitterroot Mountains about 60 miles northwest of home (Missoula).

As for the convex bare-primer plug...it shouldn't give you any trouble. Mine is the same configuration...and now has somewhere around 3,000 rounds through it. One of the best primers I've used in the bare primer conversion is the Remington STS. Lately, due to the shortage of stuff in the gun shops, I've been using the Federal-Fusion "Muzzleloading" primers...and have not had a bit of ignition trouble.

Toby

Thanks for the reply. I have started out using the FPJ primers and doing ok. I know that the only real advantage to them is being more waterproof. Are there any advantages to the bare primer? I realize convience of not having the plastic primer pocket, but is there less blowback from BH 209? There is certainly quite a bit with the FPJ.

thanks for all the info.

txhunter58

I'm getting a lot less blowback with the conversion set up.

Also, I hunted the entire season last fall/winter with the conversion, setting all day in flying snow several times, and did not experience a single hesitation when it came time to pull the trigger.

As long as you are getting great ignition with the FPJ system in the rifle, I think either way you go you'll be fine. I carry my FPJ system as a back up when I travel. Good news is, when I swap out the systems...if there is any change in point of impact...I can't tell it.

Keep me updated on how you progress.

Toby

Thanks a bunch. I will try the conversion and let you know.

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom