Knives

The one with Blood on it!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

The one you & the neighbor kid use to quarter the squirrel with.

Slick

Love you Larry!

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

There are lots of pretty knives out there but if your looking for something that absolutely will not fail you or the job, you use a Havalon. I've been guiding hunts for 20 years and have fought so many knives over the years it's not even funny. Now instead of carrying 3-4 knives and sharpeners in my pack, I carry one Havalon and two packs of various length blades. I did at least 6 big bulls this fall and was tickled pink with my new best friend in the field.

How much? Those havlon knives do a great job gutting and skinning, but they have their limits. Be very careful on putting side pressure on them as the blade will snap and you might end up with a very nasty cut. They are not any good for ripping open the chest cavity if you like seeing what you are doing when removing the upper organs.

RELH

I've owned quite a few knives over the years, and I know there are a lot of good ones around. I've also owned a few that were junk. They either didn't fit my hand right or were almost impossible to keep an edge, or they didn't hold up.

I recently acquired a custom made Hatfield knife and I'm sure it will be the last one I ever own. It fits very well, stays extremely sharp and is easy enough to keep a razor edge. So far, I've just had to hone it a couple times. Not to mention it's nice to look at, and even show off.

There can be more to a knife than just a cutting instrument.
Mine is also a piece of history. Bob Hatfield is a direct descendant of Devil Anse Hatfield, so he's kind of ugly, and meaner than a rattlesnake. But his word is gold. If you stay on his good side, you should be OK.(a big if, I know)

Someday I will proudly pass down my knife to my oldest grandson.

Eel

RELH"S knives, Hatfield, are superb in ever way and being the best knife i've ever owned and having gave one to my long time hunting pard, one of the best gifts i've ever gave.

That said, i always carry my Victorinox locking blade Swiss army Knife. It is the black "Fireman" model, longer body so longer blades, locking main blade, seat belt safety cutting blade, super sharp saw blade, and the rest of the usual stuff. The knives have a unique quality, i've wore thru two others in 35 years, they hold a nice edge yet are easy to sharpen. the little saw blade has really been handy and you just can't dull it short of cutting bolts. I think it's the best carry knife there is but that's just me.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

RELH is correct about side pressure snapping those fragile blades. I'd say on average I use four blades per elk to get the job done. Yes I still pack one stiff blade knife for the rib cage if needed. The trick to the Havalon is having plenty of extra blades in various lengths. It's like having a dozen awesome knives in your pack yet only about a few ounces of actual weight.

The Buck 102 Woodsman. Carved up more animals than I remember and has been on my hip for about 30yrs. Can split an elks chest and pop a deers h-bone with ease with a fine tip for skinning. Lifetime free replacement warrenty with a $50 price tag. Only issue has been with the leather case.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Tailchasers, If your buck knife is over 30 years old, my personal opinion is that the steel in your knife is better then the economy steel buck is using today. Hang on to it. I have a buck 110 folder that was given to me over 35 years ago and it will keep a sharp edge longer then the new buck folders. It has field dressed many deer and antelope over the years.

Slamdunk, if you have to cape out the elk heads for your clients, that is one place where that havalon will shine. That small blade is superb for fine delicate work around the ears and eyes and mouth.

RELH

Are you referring to JB when you say Jef? If so he has been swimming in the ocean and his willy has gotten small. That is the only Jef I can recall at this time.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-14 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]RELH!

Check your PM!

Thanks!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-14 AT 03:15PM (MST)[p]Swing Blade. Nuff said.

I used a havalon for the first time this year. They are sharp at first, but dull quickly and the stupid blades do break really easy.

The big issue to me with the blades breaking is that after they break you sometimes have to go in and dig to get the broken piece out of the elk. Thank goodness I carry a multi tool, it came in hand a couple times to retrieve havalon blade parts.

I'll never buy another havalon.

>I'll repeat my question and hope
>
>some dipshit stays out
>
>Robert,
>
>what happend to Jef ??
If you would pull your drunk, PRI K, head from your colon you'd realize he was telling you exactly where he went. But then again that would require something you are not capable of; Logic & reason without the stereotypical alcoholic knee jerk response we have come to expect from you. Whether or not you know it, and whether or not anyone else will say it to your face, everyone else who knows anything about your antics around here is thinking the same thing. Try AA bud before it's too late. You are pathetic.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>>I'll repeat my question and hope
>>
>>some dipshit stays out
>>
>>Robert,
>>
>>what happend to Jef ??
>If you would pull your drunk,
>PRI K, head from your
>colon you'd realize he was
>telling you exactly where he
>went. But then again
>that would require something you
>are not capable of;
>Logic & reason without the
>stereotypical alcoholic knee jerk response
>we have come to expect
>from you. Whether or
>not you know it, and
>whether or not anyone else
>will say it to your
>face, everyone else who knows
>anything about your antics around
>here is thinking the same
>thing. Try AA bud
>before it's too late.
>You are pathetic.
>
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

GEEZUS 1911!

Bet there wasn't many Warnings today!:D

>Tailchasers, If your buck knife is
>over 30 years old, my
>personal opinion is that the
>steel in your knife is
>better then the economy steel
>buck is using today. Hang
>on to it. I have
>a buck 110 folder that
>was given to me over
>35 years ago and it
>will keep a sharp edge
>longer then the new buck
>folders. It has field dressed
>many deer and antelope over
>the years.
>
>Slamdunk, if you have to cape
>out the elk heads for
>your clients, that is one
>place where that havalon will
>shine. That small blade is
>superb for fine delicate work
>around the ears and eyes
>and mouth.
>
>
>
>
> RELH
>
Thats good to know as I had no idea the steel had changed. Thanks for the tidbit.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Just get tired of passive aggressive shenanigans. I will only walk on egg shells for so long. Sooner or later it suits the emperor and the people to let him know he is naked as a jay bird.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Have used a folding Kershaw for over 20 years for general use.. Also have havalon, and like others found the blades break easily. When skinning thin skinned animals (antelope) you have to be extra careful not to cut thru the hide when using the pointed blades. Also use a small multi-tool to change blades and to clean grooves before trying.

I have a Diamond Blade knife that is sharper than the Havalons and hold the edge a lot longer(multiple animals). Down side is that to sharpen you have to send back to manufacturer due to hardness.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-14 AT 04:13PM (MST)[p]Thank you 1911!

Edit: Chill out Lar. This is the campfire Forum and there is no reason to jump down anyone's throat because they are trying to be funny.

Eel

It was funny Eel, but please leave me out of it. Because some of you that know me realize that I don't give a fluck what Larry thinks of me!

I carry a Case 2 blade trapper everyday. I keep a small folding saw in my pack but that knife has cleaned many critters.

+1 on the Havalon. I've done at least 20 game animals since I got mine 3 years ago, maybe 10-12 Bull Elk, use about 3 60XT's for the quartering/chest caping, and one small one for the face caping. Yeah, they break sometimes, but if you change them before they get too dull it won't happen nearly as often.

Get the orange handle one so you don't leave it on the mountain!

2a0fcsk.gif

I have an old Buck knife with the black handle and a Buck honestill. After I bought my Wyoming saw, I bought a Wyoming knife, these things are as good or better than the Havalon, though I have never used a Havalon. I recently bought one of RELH's Hatfield knifes and am waiting to break it in. The Hatfield is by far the prettiest knife I have owned. Can't wait to get some blood on it and post up a picture.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom