Kofa Lion Eradicated

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
From AZGFD:

YUMA, Ariz. ? The Arizona Game and Fish Department on Tuesday afternoon lethally removed a mountain lion known to be preying heavily on bighorn sheep in the Kofa Mountains Complex Predation Management Area in southwestern Arizona.

The lion was taken in the Eagletail Mountains located about 90 miles northeast of Yuma.

The action was taken in a continuing effort to help restore the struggling Kofa bighorn sheep population, whose numbers declined more than 50 percent from an estimated 815 in 2000 to a low of 391 in 2006. The most recent survey in 2008 indicated an estimated population of 436.

The mountain lion was killed in accordance with the department's May 2007 ?Kofa Mountains Complex Predation Management Plan,? which is in place to monitor and limit predation during recovery efforts of this historic and critically important bighorn sheep population. The plan stipulates that an offending mountain lion?defined as one that kills more than one bighorn sheep within a six-month period?may be lethally removed when bighorn sheep population levels are below a certain threshold.

The lion, a male fitted with a telemetry collar, was known to have killed 15 bighorn sheep, 11 within the predation management area, since being collared in late February.

?This one lion was averaging a bighorn sheep kill every 10 days,? said Pat Barber, supervisor for the Arizona Game and Fish Region IV office in Yuma. ?At that rate, an estimated 37 bighorn sheep would have been lost to this lion in a year.?

With a current average annual recruitment of only 44 bighorn sheep within the Kofa Mountains Complex Predation Management Area (including 39 on the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge), the impact of such heavy predation could have been devastating.

?As the agency responsible for the long-term sustainability of wildlife populations across the state, we have to use science-based data to make the best decisions possible,? said Barber. ?In this case, the data made a compelling case for action. Doing nothing would have likely resulted in further reduction of an already depressed bighorn sheep population and made recovery efforts even more difficult.?

The department continues to work, in collaboration with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, on a comprehensive management approach to address the potential issues preventing recovery of the Kofa bighorn sheep population. This approach includes health and disease assessments of the sheep herd, evaluation of water distribution and availability, evaluating the impacts of human disturbance, and evaluating the impacts of mountain lion predation.

With other mountain lions remaining in the Kofa Mountains Complex Predation Management Area, Game and Fish biologists will continue to take an active role in monitoring bighorn sheep losses attributed to predation.

?The goal is not to remove all mountain lions from the management area, but to limit predation until the sheep population recovers,? said Barber. ?Mountain lion populations throughout the state are healthy and they are neither rare, threatened or at risk. The same can't be said for this bighorn sheep population.?

The Kofa bighorn sheep herd has played a critical role in restoring desert bighorn sheep populations into areas where they have been extirpated (no longer exist, but once did) in Arizona and throughout the southwestern U.S. Transplant efforts using the Kofa herd were suspended when the population began to decline earlier this decade.

Game and Fish will be conducting aerial population surveys throughout the region this October. Results are anticipated to be available in November.

?It's going to take years for this herd to rebound,? Barber said. ?But, it's important we play an active role in the recovery.?

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working on an environmental assessment (EA) proposing management options for limiting mountain lion predation on bighorn sheep within the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. The draft EA is open for public comment until Oct. 2 and can be viewed at www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/arizona/kofa.The EA is not required for the Arizona Game and Fish Department to manage resident wildlife (including mountain lions and bighorn sheep) off the Refuge.

For history, facts, FAQ?s, research and more on the struggling Kofa bighorn sheep population, visit www.azgfd.gov/kofa.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I was just wondering what scienc-based data is used to determine that a mountain lion is not suppose to kill 37 sheep in one year. Sounds like a pretty corny excuse to me. I am not any kind of animal rights person in any way, it just seems weird that the AZGFD can make some excuse (science-based data) to kill a lion that has found his niche to survive. The AZGFD makes it easy for them to do things but hard for the regular jo do something like bring home a skull with antlers on it, you first have to wait for them to decide if it is a trophy that they want,if not then you have pay for it. Kinda like depedation hunts for elk these elk are naturally moving to new area and staying there year round, whats wrong with that? Does the AZGFD have science-based date to prove that elk never inhabited these areas, or is just a way to make some extra money? Seems like a way to make extra money to me. Afterall these elk were not reintroduced to these areas, and mother nature will dictate haw many of them the area will support. Alot of things that the AZGFD does, makes no sense to me, just felt like venting a little. Hopefully the sheep pop. will thrive now that the main sheep killer is gone, if not what will the new excuse be?

So what if they are supposed to eat 50 sheep a year? If you are trying to recover the sheep and there are plenty of lions then get rid of a few. I support their decision and they can pop a few more.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]Great news, I hope they keep up the good work and contiue to eradicate more cats in the future. This sheep herd has taken a beating.

I dont have any problem with the lions being thinned out, but are the lions the main reason for the sheep herd getting smaller, or is killing this one lion just a quick fix for a bigger problem. It seams weird that the population from 2006 to 2008 actually increased by 45 sheep, I assume this lion was in the area around that time. At that rate the recruitment would be 21 - 22 sheep per year with this lion still there.It would take 17 years to reach the 2000 numbers,with the lion gone it will take six years for the herd to get back to 815 that is if every thing is perfect and none of the sheep die or get killed by other lions. I believe it was a good call to kill the lion.So why doesnt th eAZGFD offer a bounty for lions in that area and others, with price of tag fees they surely have some extra money to offer bounties. The lion pop would quickly be under control if there was more of an incentive to hunt them. Dont get me wrong I personally beleive that there are to many predators in this state and I do as much as I can do keep there populations down. If everyone resident hunter made a goal to take at least 2 coyotes a year and if possible one lion every other year, the populations of deer, antelope, and sheep would dramatically increase. When I lived in Wy. if you seen a coyote during day light hours he was haulin but away from you, here in AZ they walk out in front of you and stop to see what you are up to.

Maybe I can provide some clarification on the numbers since I recently did an interview.

Prior to 2008, G&F did actual aerial surveys only every three years. The total given for 2006 is only an estimate, based on a computer model they HAD been using. The 2008 figure is one from an actual aerial survey, but it is still somewhat of an estimate since NO aerial survey is completely accurate.

Annual aerial surveys are now part of the overall management for the Kofas AND the rest of the land involved in the complete lion management program area.

Now to the lion. G&F has no idea when the lion actually entered the management area and began killing sheep. They didn't collar it until after the aerial survey was done in 2008. Thus, the sheep kills after then are accurate and the reason for getting rid of the lion.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom