KUIU vs SITKA...

S

Shorty1

Ok ultimate question... I would like to buy a set of waterproof camo for an upcoming CO. Deer hunt. I have limited funds ( 4 kids ) . One set is all I can justify. One pair of pants and a coat. I have been around the Sitka 90% stuff and it seemed to be the ticket for wet rainy/ snowy weather. I have not been around any Kuiu. I have been on both sites and know about the Sitka Kuiu back story. You guys that have both....what do you think?

I only have KUIU. I'll prolly never buy Sitka. Just compare the prices and then compare the quality of the the fabrics used. It's not even close. KUIU is on another level above Sitka. With that being said Sitka is a great line of clothing.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-13 AT 11:03PM (MST)[p]I have both and there really isn't as much of a difference as some people would lead you to believe. Kind of like the old Chevy vs. Ford debate. I do end up using sitka gear a little more often. I've also had excellent experience with Sitka's customer service. Kuiu is very good gear also. Additionally, the 90% line from sitka is water repellent, not waterproof.

I have sold all my Sitka in favor of the Kuiu line. I, like you am on a limited budget, but have been buying an article at a time as I can. Really great gear, and cheaper than Sitka.

}}-SLIVER-->

Thanks guys. From what I'm hearing...Kuiu is as good or better than Sitka as far as material quality. A little cheaper, and to be honest I like the patterns in the Kuiu better. I think my mind is made.

KUIU Chugach rain gear is on sale at the Kuiu Outlet under Shop on their website. All sizes but XL jackets and pretty much all sizes in pants. It's really good stuff.

gortex far exceeds toray as a waterproof/breathable/abrasion resistant fabric. if you want to look at an example look no further than simms waders. their "cheap" line is made up of toray fabric. their professional/guide series line is all gortex. this company lives and dies by waterproof/breathable fabrics and are far superior to either sitka and kuiu when it comes to them. kuiu is very good at marketing and therefor relate to the hunting community very good and are extremely successful in selling their products. i think some items are far superior in sitka, and kuiu takes the cake on others. i have complete lines of both products both old and new. i have used them extensively dall sheep hunting, brown bear hunting, moose hunting, and several western hunts. it's not a situation where one is better than the other on all accounts. good luck hunting this year.

Ok... B.T.K. . I am looking at the Guide pant and jacket. Do you have those?
I have hunted this unit in CO. Before and it's a crap shoot on what weather we are going to get. One year in was in the 70s. ( Horrible hunting)And the other 12" of snow colder than he'll! ( what I'm praying for) I'm ok camo wise for the warmer weather. I want the guide set to keep me dry if I am walking around and sitting glassing in snow all day . Do you think I can expect that out of them??

Sheep hunter just checked the site and they are out of large jackets in the vias pattern. Danget!! Thanks for the info though.

Just my .02
I'd get the Attack pants if you can only get one pair. I use my attack pants for everything I hunt and every season. In the dead of winter for coyotes i Layer underneath coupled with a good set of gaiters. I've always been warm and dry.

Traditional >>>------->

yes i do have the guide jacket and pant. i would go with the attack pant. layer if you need to. they are more versatile and comfortable.

I have both and like the KUIU a little better because of price. Fairly comparable otherwise. I did take my KUIU guide jacket out in a heavey rain and got wet. It does say water resistant not water proof. It held up to the heavy rain for about 15 minutes and then the seams leaked. I was not upset at all because they do not advertise it as rain gear or as water proof. Looks like I will be buying the rain gear next.

I have the Sitka and like it, but have not tried the Kuiu yet. I will be getting one of the Icon packs soon. I will stick to the Sitka clothing for the good discount I get. Kuiu has one as well just not anywhere close to Sitka.

I have nearly a complete set of KUIU, about 1/2 a set of Sitka (Mountain Pants, 90% Jacket, Ascent Jacket, Core Shirts), and pretty much everything that Core4 and Russell APXg2 make.

I probably like the KUIU best, I really like the Sitka Mountain pants, I like the Core4 stuff and I like the APXg2 stuff.

Right now I kind of use it based on what camo I want to wear. I use the Sitka open country stuff in the plains hunting antelope and mule deer, KUIU and Core4 in the mountains going after elk and wear the APXg2 stuff here going after whitetails.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom