La Sal Unit Late Season Hunt Info

F

FullDraw84

Hey guys,

Anyone have any tips on hunting the La Sal Unit for the late season bull elk hunt? I was over there the opening weekend and saw over 40 elk each day and we looked over about 15 bulls total. Didn't find anything that really stood out. Not holding out for something ridiculous but would like a nice mature 6 point, hopefully in the 320"-330" range. I don't think that is unrealistic.

Spotted one 6x6 that was probably a little over 300". He was in a spot full of elk with some smaller bulls. They aren't going anywhere, so one of those bulls is my last day option. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Just wondering if anyone has any info to share. As a NR it took me a while to draw, I won't draw again for a long time, and it was pretty expensive. Would like to make the most of it. Have been concentrating on the west and north side of the unit. Those are the ones that I am familiar with.

Thanks for your time.

Adam

It's been my experience on late season elk hunts, that if you are seeing cows, you're not looking in the right place for bigger bulls. Big bulls are usually paired or in small groups at this time of year, and quite a bit higher in elevation than the cows and samller bulls. That's just my experiece with where I hunt. May be different on the Manti, but I'd bet not.

Totally agree stay away from the cows look higher or lower. My experience was to look lower in the nasty stuff.

Out scouting the day before the season I saw most of the elk and cut their sign up in the aspens, so that is where we focused our attention. I also was told by a Game and Fish person that they had seen the big bulls still with the cows the week before. I expected them to be off on their own too.

I looked up high in different areas and didn't even cut any elk tracks in the snow. We have not looked in the lower PJ zone yet because of the lack of snow and I wanted to check out the elk sign we were seeing up higher in the aspen. Probably focus on the PJ zone beginning tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks

Adam

I agree with the first post as a whole but I just helped my sister in law on her Lasal hunt. She killed a great 370 bull on opening day and the bull was down low with around 60 cows and 20 other bull. All elk were going nuts. So not alway this time of year are they out by them self away from cows.

I agree with the whole bulls up on higher grounds and away from cows. But last year on my late season hunt on a Wyoming resident LE tag I found that not to always be true.

Seen small herds of cows and bachelor groups of bulls and the solo elk.

Well we ran into a herd of 300+ elk which is unheard of in a high density grizzly/wolf area. The herd had at least 50 bulls ranging every from spikes to a high 370-380 bull.... we were also at very high elevation.

Well it was a area I wasn't use to hunting. All the other areas I have hunted on a late season the bulls were in bachelor groups and maybe a few cows nearby but not together as a heard.

Well after talking to a guy that hunts this area a lot we got to talking and his report is the same and this area the elk just herd up. through the weeks some cows and some bulls leave.

But I cant help with info on your unit but does anyone know if that area needs a good snow to push the big bulls in?? I would be searching for every detail as it seems you are on that track

So Just don't go in and judge a area quick

PM sent

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

I think Bluejay nailed it to a "T".

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

And so...... How did this hunt go?

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom