LA Short Mag?

Why? If you think about it the bolt face may be an issue and the feed rails & follower may be a problem. If its a bullet seating depth issue the new Noslers may be the cure. An action designed for that cartridge may be easier to work with in many regards. Hope this gives you some help. But there are some things to consider regarding what action you'll be using to build it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-12 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]I would think the whole selling point of the cartrige is that it can be chambered in a SA. If your gonna use a LA you might as well just chamber it in the better preforming 300WM.

Well,here's the deal. I have a short action m700 mountain rifle here that I could use. It's a 243,so there is a bit of bolt work to be done. My smith is fine with it all. Sako extractor and all. Unfortunately, the short action is limited as to where the longer bullets can be seated. I'm tempted to use the mountain. It's my all time favorite rifle. Bedded in a gen 1 Remington Ti stock she is a sweetie. The other donor rifle is an SPS stainless 300 Ultra mag. Another nice rifle that I have bedded in a BDL walnut stock. I have developed a neck problem of late,and the big girl is bothering me after a bench session. I've no use for muzzle brakes. I've spent too many matches a bench over from the big guns with brakes on them. Not a good deal. I'm just curious if anyone here has built a short mag on a long action for ease of seating the VLDs and such.

Have you thought about utilizing an extended magazine box on the short action mountain rifle? I think that should solve any issues you have with seating length. It should add just enough length to get you to the lands on the 300WSM.

Unless you have some serious attachment to that rifle you should just sell it and get a wsm action to start with. Those mountain rifles are worth some bucks and it would be retarded to hack it up and then end up with a rifle that may or may not feed and function very well. JMO

PS....No offense to the retards on this forum.

+1 Hardway

Defiance, Surgeon, make actions that allow you to do exactly what you want. They all have longer mags that allow things to work great. Selling the gun is really the best alternative and you may just find that an off the shelf WSM with Noslers new bullet may be just fine. Nosler's going to have the new high BC shorter length bullets and it could be a win win for you.

The .300WSM loses a little of it's lustre with the heavier bullets where the .300winny mag has a slight advantage. You may want to take a look at the .270WSM or 7MMWSM both fine cartridges in their own right. With the quality of bullets made today you can find a higher BC bullet in those calibers and shoot with less recoil and have a deadly combination.

If you are going to stick with a factory action I would say the M70 action. Allows for a longer OAL over a M700 and feeds much better IMO.

Custom action I would get a Borden if building a WSM.

>If you are going to stick
>with a factory action I
>would say the M70 action.
>Allows for a longer OAL
>over a M700 and feeds
>much better IMO.
>

I have found the complete opposite to be true about the longer OAL

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]Well buck you may be right. I don't have my notebooks in front of me but im pretty sure a M700SA mag box is about 2.9". My M70WSM mag box is 3.1". I could be wrong but I thought winchester built a new action for the WSM which I considered a medium length action.

You're probably right, I should have been more specific...

Winchester rifles seem to have a lot of freebore..So much that you run out of magazine clearance before you can engage the rifling with seating bullets... Remington rifles are the opposite... This has been my experience anyway, YMMV..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yea seems about right especially with VLD style bullets. This shouldn't be a problem for the OP as when he rebarrels he can setup the throat however he would like. I simply would go with the longer action to reduce compression loads with heavier bullets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom