Labradoodle?

sniper14

I have a neighbor that just bred a lab with a poodle, and the dog just had the puppies. he is offering me one at a real good price. Both have good pedigree, but I don't want this dog if they can't hunt well. I hunt mostly upland game, with a little waterfowl mixed in. Anyone have any experience with this breed of dog before I decide. Thanks in advance.

That breed will hunt just fine, both as an upland game dog, and as a water retriever....however, it is greatly dependent on the individual dog, and training.
Given good bloodlines, you have a good chance at a good hunting dog.
Hope that helps.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-14 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]They are a great dog with the proper bloodlines. My DD pointer just died suddenly a month ago and I'm now working on training the Labradoodle that a Doctor here in town owns. Molly is very smart, is catching on quickly with the commands I'm working with her on, and she loves the water.

The fact that you even know what a Labradoodle is is grounds for a man card surrender. ;-)

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

>The fact that you even know
>what a Labradoodle is is
>grounds for a man card
>surrender. ;-)
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

What you talkin about Willis, LOL!!!

This is interesting. You are mixing two different breeds and hoping you will
Get the best of both. Reality is you could get the worst of both and no consistency. There is no health clearance history with doodles. What exactly is a good pedigree on a poodle? Other than a select rare few, poodles have not be hunting, water, working breed for many many generations. What exactly is a good deal on a mut? Doodles are a complete hype dog that could no doubt potentially become a good pet and maybe good hunting dog. But if you are wanting a strong chance of a great hunting dog, I certainly would not get a mixed breed with no long term genetic history of that mix whatsoever.

>Surrender the man card and buy
>a pug like I did.
>LOL

+1, You also might consider buying a LEZBURU to drive it around too!!

>This is interesting. You are mixing
>two different breeds and hoping
>you will
>Get the best of both. Reality
>is you could get the
>worst of both and no
>consistency. There is no health
>clearance history with doodles. What
>exactly is a good pedigree
>on a poodle? Other
>than a select rare few,
>poodles have not be hunting,
>water, working breed for many
>many generations. What exactly is
>a good deal on a
>mut? Doodles are a
>complete hype dog that could
>no doubt potentially become a
>good pet and maybe good
>hunting dog. But if you
>are wanting a strong chance
>of a great hunting dog,
>I certainly would not get
>a mixed breed with no
>long term genetic history of
>that mix whatsoever.

Please read the first two replies CLOSELY, as neither one said the guy would positively have a great hunting dog from the breeding of those two particular dogs. There is always the chance of a bad one even from pure bloodlines. We raised a litter of beagles from two dogs with champion bloodlines when I was a kid back in the 50s and one in the resulting litter was dumber than a stump. He made a great pet, but as far as what he was bred for it was a total disaster, while all his litter mates came out great.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-14 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]A guy had one in our Hunting retriever club. It was a very intelligent dog and hunted both waterfowl and upland game. Search it on the internet they can be awesome dogs. Like said above , your wife can have her poodle and you can have your hunting dog. ;-)

>The fact that you even know
>what a Labradoodle is is
>grounds for a man card
>surrender. ;-)

Ya, No way I would let one of those in the back of my truck. They may be a great dog, but they are still a big poodle.

>>The fact that you even know
>>what a Labradoodle is is
>>grounds for a man card
>>surrender. ;-)
>
>
>Ya, No way I would let
>one of those in the
>back of my truck.
>They may be a great
>dog, but they are still
>a big poodle.

LOL! Poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs and there were some really good ones if you read up on the breed. Do you know what a DD is without looking that one up?

>
>LOL! Poodles were originally bred
>as hunting dogs and there
>were some really good ones
>if you read up on
>the breed.

And the Maltese were likely originally bred for rodent control. But if I see you driving around with one of these Fifi dogs in your lap I will DEMAND your man card.
300px-01_AKC_Maltese_Dog_Show_2013.jpg

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

>>
>>LOL! Poodles were originally bred
>>as hunting dogs and there
>>were some really good ones
>>if you read up on
>>the breed.
>
>And the Maltese were likely originally
>bred for rodent control. But
>if I see you driving
>around with one of these
>Fifi dogs in your lap
>I will DEMAND your man
>card.
>
300px-01_AKC_Maltese_Dog_Show_2013.jpg

>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

LOL! You ever catch me with one of them or anything similar and you wouldn't have to demand the card or anything else!!!

OP said he did not want a dog that would not hunt. Your chances of having a good hunting increase if you stick with a solid hunting breed bred from hunting stock. Does that mean the Labradoddle will not make a good hunting dog No. You have decide what risks you want to take.

Go post this on some of the waterfowl sites. You'll get plenty of replies and will be required to surrender yer testicles when its all said and done...

They may be the best dog to walk on water, but in my mind, they have got to be the ugliest with that CURLED RAT TAIL!. And Poodles can be a good hunting dog, but not necesarily the French Poodle,that would be the German spelled Puddle. If you want a breed that will hunt Fur and Feather, reserch the German Puddle Pointer.They bascically do it all,and are a great companion,and house dog. Check out Cederwood Kennels, in Meridian Idaho, Bob Farris is the Puddle Pointer Guru. IMHO..

I will echo most here and say stay with a more recent (generationally speaking) proven breed with quality hunting or field trial/hunt test background.

Many of the traditional hunting breeds have evolved because of dog shows into completely different animals with completely different qualities, both good and bad. Even labs and goldens without strong hunting or trial lineage.

I shot at a hunt test today and saw 18 dogs run including a poodle a flat coat and a couple of goldens thrown in with a bunch of labs the poodle was horrible and when he did retrieve the bird he pranced in like a show dog. Looked ridiculous to me but....jmo.

Also I shot over 18 senior dogs in that hunt test and on Saturday will shoot for 80 or 90 dogs and will bet that I dont see a poodle. Theres a reason the pros use labs sprinkled with some chessies and goldens. That reason is success. If you just wanna be different look into their background a bit and go for it. If you want the best odds at success get a more proven breed.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

So?

Does a Labradoodle Hunt Kockadoodles?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

why would you want one? if you want a lab go by a lab if your wanting a poodle go by one don't get the two crossed. I run hounds walker and black and tans but I don't cross breed them I like the nose a B&T has and the speed a walker has but no way would I cross them IMO you ruin a good dog by crossing two different breeds. run them loud and run proud treeing walkers

>I don't need no stinkin' man
>card. I got a scrotum.
>
Me too sometimes my wife even lets me take it out of her purse!

>>>The fact that you even know
>>>what a Labradoodle is is
>>>grounds for a man card
>>>surrender. ;-)
>>
>>
>>Ya, No way I would let
>>one of those in the
>>back of my truck.
>>They may be a great
>>dog, but they are still
>>a big poodle.
>
>
>LOL! Poodles were originally bred
>as hunting dogs and there
>were some really good ones
>if you read up on
>the breed. Do you
>know what a DD is
>without looking that one up?
>

DD Those are things I like to see Hanging out at the beach in mexico.

My stepson has a golden doodle (you can figure it out) and its the worst of both. Has a brain the size of a pea and hyper to boot. Go to the pound and find something.

Elkassassin......Just like you I could not help but consider possibilities....If he could pick a pup with a lab rearend and a cocker spaniel front end the dog would be fast and have good stamina as it ran downhill. Labs make great retrievers and Cocker Spaniels make their outdoorsman owner appear a bit girly! Just having fun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom