Lake Dorothy Turkey

crazyelk

I drew a limited entry spring turkey tag for Lake Dorothy. Any information regarding hunting turkeys there would be appreciated. My two young sons and I are very much looking forward to this hunt. Thanks

Ton of turkeys in that area. I would avoid opening weekend cause it will be a circus. The hens are spooky and it is tough to call. As soon as you pass the Lake Dorothy sign hang a right and head to the top of the mountain and there are some nice clearings on top. Bring chains for your truck. Good luck. You.will have a good time

Hunted there last spring, it was not good. Turkeys were still in New Mexico, even late in the season...

I hope this year is WAY better!!

Saw bear, elk, deer and beautiful country though!!

Weekdays are better it seems to me.

Lot's of traffic, vehicle and hiking and
hunters.

Camodeerslayer's right, the ones on NM
will drive you insane, because that's where
alot of them are.

Only done it once, but intend to try again.

Good luck.

Laro

We are still trying to get out there. In between High school baseball and little league practice me and boys have been busy. We are going to try it out next week sometime. Since we are from NM, we might take our bows and maybe try those NM birds on Sugarite.

How is the late season hunting at Dorothy? Noticed the hunt goes till 5/22. We might have more time then.

Any updates are welcome. We will let you know when finally get out there and hoe we do.

Thanks

We made it out last weekend. Some rain came in on Sat. evening. It snow at higher elevations later that night at about 8,000 ft. We put in about 12 miles total. Only heard one gobbler on the NM side. Not much else going on. Might have been because of the weather. We covered some great turkey country and noticed very little turkey sign. Did meet a very nice family that were hunting there too. They had killed a bird that morning. They indicated they have hunted Dorothy many times and always had their share of luck. They did mention that they felt like the turkey numbers were low. We are planning to hunt tomorrow... the last day. We hope to hunt the morning and into the PM and fire up a gobbler. We have never hunted this late in the spring period and are not sure what to expect as far as the gobble. I guess we are fixing to find out. In the mean time anybody that wants to chime in about hunting turkeys this late in the game, it would be great to hear any insight. We will add our own insight after tomorrow.

Finally reporting last Sunday's outing. They were still gobbling on the roost. Heard two birds in NM at day break. Then got into two gobbling jakes at Dorothey. They sounded a little funny to us. We set up on them. They would come in for a long time and were hung up. Usually jakes come right in. These guys would only answer 1 out of 4 calls and only the excited cuts. After quite some time we moved on them because we thought they were moving off. Half way in between, eithercut them off or they were finally coming in. I could not make out a beard so off they went. Not even sure I would of shot if I did see a beard. Might as well save them for the future.

Very nice country. Hope to do this again. I would of liked to have hunted this place a little sooner in the season. My son should draw this tag next year. Hopefully we can get out there more then.

Thank you all that provided insight to hunting Dorothey. It helped out a bunch.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom