Land thieves....... i mean land swaps

S

stinkystomper

Some people have been asking me about these so called land swaps and where to find them so here's the link.

http://wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/unitization/unitized_ranches.html

They make it sound like they are doing this for the general good of the public. Only problem with this is that I know 3 of these areas very well. The lands swapped ended up blocking public access to some of "THE" best deer and barbary hunting available. The landowners requested these swaps because it now blocks public access to some dang good deer hunting. These were some of my best areas and now the minimal public land allowing legal access to hunt massive tracts of public land has been privatized so that the landowners can continue to charge the public to hunt the large sections of public land for the very animal we put there. When are they gonna make these landowners start lining up with guys like me in the octagon with the winner getting to decide the land swap acres location. I think its only fair and I would like to see that friggin cage locked and no ref allowed inside. these things are really starting to get the best of me.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Not an argument here, but I am not seeing the blockage unless there are public lands not listed on these maps. I am pretty familiar with one of these maps but it doesn't affect my hunting(when I draw) to much.

The thing I don't understand is why this is not an acre for acre trade. The landowner is coming out better on that end of things. Are the private lands considered more suitable wildlife habitat? That is the only reason that I could see agreements like this happening where it is clear that the private landowner is coming out ahead.

Mr Stink,

Who do you want to be the next, Land COM?

I see, you are worried about land swaps. Can you tell us about the ones that have occured in unit 9/48 et al!

As far as your cage fight! QUACK

You are a legend in your own mind!

Stinky, sounds like you have your first nomination to Land Commissioner.

Great example is to buy a 02 Roswell BLM map and a 09 Roswell BLM map.

Big chunks of public land is getting blocked out from public use and it is going unchallenged.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-10 AT 07:54AM (MST)[p]Great, Just Great ! ! Stinks going to get his head busted in the octagon! !
Then nobody gets to hunt...Can't we pick a guy with a little more a$$ and alot less mouth? lol

Junior, your missing the point. We picked stinky because we figured he would get his fingers broken and his jaw wired shut.

Stinky is in training. He is drinking his raw egg, tuna, broccoli and yogurt shakes. That ought to freak out he opposition.

HAHA...I got ya paul...

Don't worry Stink, we will back you up..I will hold the towel and a cold beer for after you get your ears boxed...

I guess I should bring a straw? I hear it's hard to drink when your jaw is wired?

If you ask me all landowners in nm should have a choice acre for acre swap for any internal public land for accessable boarder land or open the roads and provide public access to the internal land.Just because public land lays behind their gate don't make it theirs.But we keep putting ranchers as comishioners and they reap the benifits!!

I hunt in the SE corner of NM and if a map needs to be drawn I will be more than happy to do so. I got my maps out and figured a way in around all those worthless land swaps. Its about a 6 mile hike but the possibilities are endless. I'm very tempted to post up the detailed maps and point to where to hunt just to spite those greedy landowners.

It might not be a bad idea to wire my jaw shut though. I think my wife and I might get along much better. I hear women love a good listener. We just gotta make sure first that we drop those darned wieght class restrictions. As it stands I'm too heavy to fight in the ufc so we will have to bend the rules a little lol.

Sorry I didn't make it your way last week paul. I got tied up in work and all. I still plan on coming up at some point and smoking some of those critters with you. Just be patient I will make it.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Stinky I hear ya man but you gotta see their side. they have to put up with people crossing their private land and to be honest most of the people that cross through private land will shoot something on their private land. The reason for this is the few piece of ##### people that shoot animals on private land, shoot cattle, litter, shootin up tanks and windmills, cut fences, etc... I really hate to see these land swaps too but you gotta realize that landowners are usually the ones that help pay for wildlife from them eating their crops, eating their feed, tearin up fences, restoring habitat by burning/brush control. The way I see it is ya we have to walk further but those area's probably won't be hunted as much and maybe we will kill some monsters in those areas. But I totally agree the swaps should be Acre for Acre!!!!!!!!!! That is total bullshit to give them more land than they give back to us to hunt!!!! Look at the brite side we aren't texas with NO public land!

I am continully reassured there are those people in the world that despise landowners for protecting what is their own.

Now, most of the hunting I do is on public land, but that is by choice because I could hunt only our own private land so I can easily see both sides of this argument. To make blanket statements about landowners is ignorant. Most larger landowners are very good people that are making a living just like you and me. Instead of having a service truck, or a store, or a big fancy job in the city, they have land that grows products to sell.
Land swaps confuse me. The acreage differences might have something to do with mineral rights, or some other value altering factor that is unknown to most of the general public. All I know is the state land commissioner is in charge of it and he is about to leave office. What happens when when some public officials leave office? They sometimes do a series of actions that benefits them and the rest of the people are left confused trying to see the benefits.
All I'm saying is dont start a thread cussing all landowners. Find the root of the problem and discuss it fairly. Many landowners provide the feed, shelter and predator protection for the states property without asking anything in return. Some seem to ask, and get more than others ever dreamed about.

I hope the landowners are different in NM becuase in Wy they do that to screw hunters and people over just for kicks and grins. I know of two crooked guys that do it to sell property and they are not ranchers!!! I am sure there are those few landowners that do it for conservation but come on lets be realistic here.

Stump,,

Stop crying about it, and get involved!

There are some real brain surgeons on here!

CRY CRY CRY CRY!

>u are right. i dont mean
>to group all landowners in
>one group. i have met
>my fair share of good
>guys out there. the guys
>im talking about are the
>charlie mulcock guys. its well
>know he sells hunts for
>4500 a gun to hunt
>the blm land due south
>of his house. there used
>to be a dim dirt
>road leading within 5 miles
>of that blm. now he
>has had those roads legally
>removed from maps, and has
>performed landswaps to block off
>access from other angles. he
>used to be a family
>friend but after recent discussions
>with him hes now a
>greedy public land grabber and
>guys like him make the
>rest of the good landowners
>look bad. people like him
>need to be stopped.
>
>
>ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde
>ego sum bardus (I participate
>on monstermuleys therefore I am
>stupid)

Is this the same guy from the Mulcock ranch in Mayhill? Talk to the guy a few years back dont know him very well but seemed to be a decent guy, But i guess he was just trying to butter me up so i couild buy one of his hunts/fishing.

He is a really good guy! He is a family friend. If I was able to and people were willing i would try and make a buck too. its too hard to make a living ranching so workin every angle possible is a good thing in my book.

LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]In no way do I condone trespassing, but I have mixed feelings on this. It does irritate me that land owners seem to go after otherwise useless land for the sole purpose of blocking the rest of us from accessing what is otherwise our public land. However, because I'm one of the idiots that is willing to hike around those barriers, I like having that public land to myself once I get there. On a few occasions though, my efforts have been royaly screwed over by crap-spewing owners who have either tried to bluff me off of their "private" public land, or have accused me of trespassing their land to get to the public. That is a dangerous game when people are holding guns, and I wish there was a more reasonable way to deter those kinds of jerks from interupting my hunting...

LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]There are hardly any swaps that are acre-for-acre. If one 640 acre tract has value for grazing, and another 640 acre tract has value for O&G development, I can guarantee you that the grazing tract will be worth about 10 acres of the mineral tract. People get caught up in acres....value of land comes with potential profits of the best use, whatever that may be. Unfortunately, "wildlife habitat" will never be worth much when comparing to other options...

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

The "this public land is mine" mindset that some ranchers have needs to go. They all need to be reminded they are LESSEES! I know why they do it, but it really burns me that they will stand there and argue about it. That is the reason next to my hunter safety card is the number for the local BLM Ranger, local Game and Fish Officer and Santa Fe Dispatch. And I also agree that a lot of landowners would jump at the chance to landlock a piece of public in the interior of the ranch.

On a different note, but much worse, I now need to find a new area to put in for Coues in AZ. Where we have gone the last few times is not safe anymore because of the illegals. Now that really burns me. We need to start a war on the border and not give up until they get the point and either come here legally, or STAY HOME!

AMEN BUDDY!! but you know you could just go hunting for coues and illegals!! It sure drives me crazy to having to argue about if i am on private land or not. i need to get a gps like yours and shove it in their face when they try to tell me i am on their land.

At least we have public land and don't have to pay leases like texas!!

>Stump,,
>
>Stop crying about it, and get
>involved!
>
>There are some real brain surgeons
>on here!
>
>CRY CRY CRY CRY!

I'm rubber, your glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I thought reducing myself to a lesser level and fighting back would make me feel better but for some reason. Now I just feel immature and like a lesser person.

I think I will stay on the collegiate level playing field when punkin someone from now on. ROFL. Don't worry dude, your not the first person intimidated by me. Heck, I even intimidate myself sometimes. lol, I kill myself!

I haven't read the entire thread BUT Let me warn you-- Land swaps and private purchases of adjoining lands is a FAVORITE tactic to stop hunting in San Diego County. These people know exactly what they are doing here in SD County we have a very big problem trying to access BLM areas where there are some big bucks, it can be done but very difficult. The antis here buy adjoining lands and create conservation zones or donate to parks creating landlocked islands of public land. It has taken me months of research at County Cartography pulling maps and records to find access and finally realize what they have done. Best stop them now as these deals are done quietly and one day you go out to get on public land and there is NO access.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom