landowner appreciation program

You might think it's about money. I think it's more about having the ability to hunt what lives on your property. If you really think about it, say you own 5000 acres of part alfalfa, part sagebrush and part timber, pretty diverse habitat. The deer feed on your hay all night and the elk come out of the timber to feed as well. You are a farmer looking to make a living on that hay crop, but it gets eaten by critters before you get to harvest your crop. AND legally your can't shoot anything because it's a draw unit, talk about a bummer. Ya. you might be able to get a small percentage of money from the F&G for crop loss but that doesn't really cover the loss. You might draw a tag in the Landowner draw every odd year or three. I think it's the right of every landowner, regardless of the size of their acreage, that they have the ability to harvest. OR sell that tag. It's their land and their tag. Granted, some land isn't suitable to hold game and that would 'disqualify' them from being able secure a tag.

IMHO

When the Land Owner Appreciation(LAP) tag program first came out I thought it was a good idea and fair to the large landowners. It made sense that someone who owns a lot of land and lives in an area where deer and elk hunting are by controlled hunt only that they should be able to hunt on their own land.

However, then I found out that the landowner tags are good for the entire unit not just the landowners property. The tags are also transferable which is fine I guess as long as they are not allowed to sell them.

The only way I will support the LAP tags going forward is if the landowners are restricted to only hunting on the property they own and for which they are eligible to enter the LAP drawing. Or if they are required to open their land to the public for hunting orat least to tag holders who were successful in the Controlled hunt drawings and hold a tag for the same area and species as the land owner.

Then give them all of the antlerless tags they want as long as they are good for only private ground. Hell make them good for the whole year for all i care. They can sell them trade them or use them for poker chips who gives a ....
Or...they can let hunters on their land.
Its funny out of all of the ranchers I know the only ones that regularly complain about crop damage are the ones who will not let hunters hunt for free and have hundreds of animals on their land as a result. If you ask me there is an army of guys that would love to go haze those elk off of your field.

The animals don't belong to the landowner on who's ground they stand they belong to the people of the state in which they reside. They are to be managed in a manner that is in the best interest of the people of that state.

Landowners want to have their cake and eat it too.
While it's in the best interest of some hunters with enough money for tags to keep the system going. It is not in my best interest. If my children or grandchildren are too poor to spend $5000 a tag per year I still want them to have an equal chance at a quality hunt as the next guy.

At the end of the day its all about greed whether it be money or antler.

Justin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom