Lead bullet/Knight Bighorn?

idhunters

I finally broke down and purchased a Knight Bighorn 50 cal. It has the 26" Green Mtn Barrel 1:28 twist.

On page 2 of the manual it says "not to use pure lead bullets as they will not stay seated on the powder....which may cause an explosion."

I am in Idaho and the law requires all lead bullets.

Do I take the gun back? Hasn't been shot yet. I have a couple ideas (squib charge) but would really like to hear from some of you out there.

I have three GM barrels and I have never had a problem with that. I use Hornady Great plains bullets, and home made cast bullets. The home made bullets are 500 S&W bullets that are paper patched. there is no way these are backing off the powder. I also make some LONG 45 cal bullets for my .458.
If you are going to have the gun in a ATV boot loaded, ok maybe you should check it. But if you load the gun and carry it, it will be carried barrel up. If you think about it how many times is the cun going to be carried upside down?
I have NEVER seen a bullet come off the charge. If it were me I would not even think about it unless you are on an atv, then check it when you get off. Ron

I bought a Knight Shadow and my manual has the same waring.

On other forums, this question has been asked. In a nut shell, yes it is possible that the bullet will back off the powder. Proable? Not really.

One guy said that anytime he stopped to glass or rest, he would pull out his ram rod and check his witness mark. He also said he had never had a problem, but he always checked anyway.

I wouldn' worry about it too much. If you're worried, just verify it and keep hunting.

I have a White .504 that uses "slip-fit" conicals. They will slide almost all the way down the bore without the ramrod. Most certainly, they would eventually come off the powder if carried barrel down. I really don't like squibbing the barrel, so I tried cutting a piece of newspaper about the size of a postage stamp, and wrapping the conical with it before stuffing down the barel. It worked great! It wrapped about 3/4 around the bullet and the thickness was just enough to provide adequate friction and no slippage during carry. I even carried the gun for hours on the ATV, cased muzzle down while riding to and from the mountain every day. Always checked the witness mark coming off the ATV and it never moved. It did cause the bullet to impact about 1" from normal at 100 yds, but that's easily within my tolerance.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-08 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]Thanks to all three responses. I really appreciate it and I am going to quit worrying about it.

If anyone else has a different idea let's hear it!

Thanks again and good hunting!

I shot the all lead power belts (295 grain)tonight. they seemed just fine and not really loose at all.

Didn't have much time, threw a target up at 25 yard and put 2 within 1/2", then went to 75 yards and put 2 in 1" and about 5" high. This was with 90 grains Triple 7. Out of the box.

Dang you shoot a deer with that much powder and that lead powerbelt, dont bother looking for it because it barely broke skin.

Try 60gr triple 7 MAXIMUM! Those all lead 295ers really make a nice splatter. You'd have much better luck with the 348's.

www.GandersPowerbeltForu.Powerguild.net

I went back and realized that I was using FFG not Triple 7 in the load.

APBT you brought up something I was concerned about as I was cleaning lead shavings from my barrel. I really think I will be hunting with something heavier than the 295.

I understand the triple 7 measures different than regular (pyrodex?) FFG-is there some conversion?

I assume that 90 grains of T7 is really hot-again limited to all lead-heavier bullets would help?

Triple 7 is 15% hotter than pyrodex 2F and Blackpowder 2f.

90gr t7 is equal to about 103 grains pyrodex RS-SELECT.

Lead shavings is what i found in my barrel to while testing the 295s and it took a while to get it out. They are pure lead and thats very soft.

Try the 348gr lead powerbelt with 70gr T7. That should put you in business.

the 60gr T7 load with the 295s also would be a great hunting load and put whatever it hits, Down.

Thanks-I found that 15% conversion in some literature last night.

I couldn't find the 348 grain powerbelts. I did pick up some 405 grain Black belts (look just like powerbelts) and some 385 grain hornady great plains that I am going to try out.

Sounds like you have some experience with the 60 grain T7/295 grain all leads?

Just looking for an accurate, deadly load for mule deer.

The 405s are awesome! They are one of my most favorite powerbelts.

80gr triple 7 sighted dead on @ 100, ought to put you about 4" @ 150 yards.

Never shot the 295s with triple 7, tried triple 7 once and hate the stuff. I shot and tested the 295 lead PB with pyrodex and my cva mountain rifle and 70gr pyrodex rs was maximum. They formed nice thick pedals and did not over expand which is perfect for hunting. Anything more than SPLAT! Like taking a bucket of paint and throwing it up against a wall.

Those 405's will do really well.

APBT I just want to take a minute and thank you for the info. I have posted a couple different threads trying to dial in a rifle/load combo and you have been great to reply and share your knowledge.

I feel like even though I have hunted with muzzleloaders off and on for 10+ years that I have more knowledge this year than ever, thanks to many folks here at MM including including Idahoron & APBT.

On to the post-I am not in love with triple 7, in fact I didn't realize there was a difference until after I bought it. And I have not shot it yet. Now I am not sure if I want to-anyone want to buy an unopened bottle of T7?

I also have some American Pioneer powder and read that it provided lower velocity than pyrodex-is this true?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-08 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]Yes,APP is probably the worse powder out of the supply of sub powders offered on the market. Shockeys gold is the same stuff.

Pyrodex even though dirtier, its a very consistent powder and that's all i use any more.

Let us know how the 405's work. If they are hollow points and you want a little more controlled expansion, simply take a .177 Pellet, turn it upside down so you have a shallow hollow point in the center and its as simple as that! It really does help the HP's control their expansion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom