Leica "Disapointment"

Panhandle

I just wanted to relay the poor experience I have had dealing with Leica Camera Inc. the last 6 months or so. I had an LRF 1200 scan model that was in like new condition but somehow moisture condensed inside the unit while on a sheep hunt. By the way, the warranty on these units is 2 years and they are NOT waterproof, which I later found out (MY BAD). My unit was two and a half years old with a receipt. They would not fix any part of the unit. My best offer was $275.00 for another LRF 1200 unit. The dealings with them started 6 months ago and all they would do was play pass the buck to the next guy in charge till finally there was no response from the next guy in line and I had to settle with their crappy offer or nothing.
I will now quit my complaining, I just wanted others to know about the poor customer service I had received.
FYI ? All of the LRF and CRF units only carry a 2 year warranty. The Geovids only carry a 5 year warranty. I think this is pretty mediocre for this caliber and supposed quality of unit. Just my opinion.
I know that after this I will no longer be buying any Leica products and will be selling all of mine and my guides Leica products on E-Bay and we will all be switching to Swarovski.
An experience such as this really makes you appreciate some of the more positive dealings with companies like Leupold and Cabelas, just to name a few.
Best of luck to all this coming season. ? Panhandle-

Ph,

Just my opinion, but under the circumstances the offer seems fair? I do not blame you for being upset, but all things considered I think Leica was fair? You admit you were careless with the water issue. Something to think about?

KTC
Thanks for your input. I just wanted to make clear that I was not negligent with the rangefinders. I did not go swimming with them. This was a Dall sheep hunt with less than favorable conditions. I kept them in a ziplock as much as possible. Quite simply this product was not up to the task under what I would consider pretty common Dall sheep hunting conditions. I'm not here to argue. I just wanted to share my experience with other hunters to try and save someone else some unnecessary headaches. Thanks for listening. - Panhandle-

Ph,

I also have a leica rangefinder and would expect more than what you experienced with it. I will be careful to keep it dry if I can?

Thanks.

So what company would you suggest buying a Rangefinder from? Most have a one year warranty. I think the new Leicas are waterproof now aren't they?

I will never buy a leica product again. I bought the 10x15x50 used them on one hunt and got moisture in them. Called Leica up and sent them the optics. They notifed my that they were misused and they would not warranty them. I fought with them for about a year and to no avail. I had to pay 400.00 to get them fixed. The first thing I did was turn around and sold them and bought a pair of Swarovski's. Never have had a problem with Swarovski's. This is my experence anyways.

Out of curiosity, did you at first, or at all during this situation, contact the dealer that you originally purchased the unit from to see if they could assist you with the problem?
Being that they were out of the 2 year warranty period (BTW, 2 years is pretty standard in the industry for warranties on optics with electronics) perhaps getting the dealer involved might have been to your advantage since it was out of warranty. An out of warranty item, no matter what it is.... an optic, a dishwasher or a car, is no longer covered. The fact that they offered to replace the unit at a discounted price does show willingness to work with the consumer and offer extended service. I understand your frustration and in the future whether you purchase thru us or not, please feel free to call on us for assistance (but not with the dishwasher or car :) )

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

Just be aware that storing your equipment in a zip lock bag works great, until they get damp or wet. After they get wet, do not put them back in the bag. They will not breath and the mousture will just travel around in the bag, making it even wetter. Dry them off and place them where they can be air dried or close to your skin, but not in an area that you sweat alot, to allow them to dry off. Once back at camp allow them to dry completely. I am talking from experience as I have seen two RF go down (Clients, not mine) because of zip lock bags and moisture while guiding moose hunters in BC. The two just do not go together. I bought a waterproof fleece cover that snaps into place and protects most of the RF. I think it came from the makes of the Nimrod Pack.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom