Leica v Nikon Archers Choice Rangefinder

bigbull1

Very Active Member
I have both, and wanted other opinions on which to take on a bivy hunt. I like the Leica 1200 for determining long stalk points and distance to deer further out than the Nikon's range. It always works!

I like the Nikon for the ease of using it plus the incline compensator. I found it did not work in the rain.

Your experience and input is appreciated.

Ed
www.hunt packs.com

The Nikon doesn't work in the rain?????? I find it hard to believe that a company like Nikon wouldn't build a rangefinder that wouldn't work in all weather. Are you sure you haven't missed something, like an internal mode selection or something along those lines, or did you not range a highly reflective target, could the batteries have been headed out the door? Have you called Nikon Customer Service about the issue, cause this is the first I have ever heard of this type of issue. If I didn't have my Bushnell I would own a Nikon. I managed to get a range reading over 100 yards with my Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC in a snowstorm with flakes as big as a half dollar. Well you can pickup a clinometer that stands by itself and sit down and make yourself a cut chart with the angle degree and distance measurements and keep it handy. Take your Leica, take the distance reading, then take the clinometer and get the angle measurement, then use your chart. Hope you can get your issues worked out with your Nikon, cause it is a shame to only have a sunny day piece of equipment.
WVBOWAK

I've never bought anything other than Leica. I'm in the construction industry and have been around a lot of contractors and survey equipment. The best all have a Leica instrument on their tripod.

Leica is good stuff, never looked through any of their products. They have a good reputation, but I don't have pockets deep enough for their good reptuation.
WVBOWAK

Why not take both? I hunt with the Nikon but just got the Leica for rifle hunting. On a backpack hunt I'd probably take both. Keep the Leica in your pack to estimate landmarks, etc, and take the nikon with you when you drop your pack and go on a stalk.

Cause to me on a bivy hunt it would just be one more item taking up weight and space with a duplicate item. If this is just for archery, then my suggestion is to get the issues with the Nikon fixed and just use that. The point of having another long range rangefinder is somewhat redundant. If I remember the Archers Choice Nikon only works to 99 yards, out of the effective range of about 90%+ archers. So if you use the Nikon and you don't get a reading then guess what, you need to get closer. Just my .02 cents.
WVBOWAK

Here is one of the negative reviews found on Cabelas;

DOES NOT WORK IN RAIN OR FOG
May 25, 2010
I bought this range finder just before my recent April 2010 Tahr hunt in New Zealand and used it around my home near Reno Nevada where it worked OK. During my hunt in New Zealand under cloudy conditions with light rainy and light gound fog the range finder TOTALLY FAILED to read accurately. Note: It worked fine under clear conditions in New Zealand but if my guide did not have his Leica range finder I would not have been able to range my Tahr after a 3 plus hour stock.

I could take both, and have on day hunts, but really trying to cut the weight down for a 4-5 day hunt.

How many shots are actually taken on steep inclines? 10-20% more or less for a western muley hunt.

Ed

I have the leupold and will only use it for bow hunts. It does have the angle compensator, but struggles to range anything beyond 3-400 yards. Many times not even that far.

I will be buying the Leica to take strictly on rifle hunts. Got friends that have them and they always can range things much quicker and more accurately than I can.

Having said that, I would only take your Nikon on the archery hunt. The distance to a stalking point is not nearly as critical as the distance/angle of the shot. Given one I would want to know that.

Ed,
Have you asked Nikon about your issue with your rangefinder? Let them see if it is a manufacturing defect, I know your not going to tell everyone that they make junk products, but I think they will try to work with you to resolve the issue. I just have a hard time seeing that Nikon wouldn't make a rangefinder that didn't work in all weather types, they have their reputation to think of. Old saying in marketing goes, "Make one person happy they will tell 15 friends, piss one person off with crap service/product and they will tell everyone they see".
WVBOWAK

i have a Nikon and Leica. I use the Leica for rifle hunts and the Nikon for my bow hunts. Personally I think the Nikon does a better job at close yardage through brush. Mine gives me the reading I want and seems to be the right one. I like the Leica for anything 100 yards and more. I would like to try the new Leica with angle compensator, but not until the Nikon dies.

I had a Leica before I switched and gave the Nikon Riflehunter 550 a chance and I haven't looked back. I have been using it for nearly 4 years now with no problems at all. Just had to replace the battery for the first time last year.

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom