Leica vs. Swaro ???

Nimrod

So I've read several fiery posts about how you shouldn't waste your time with any of the bargain bino's out there. The advice seems to be "save your money for the best". My question is which is the best of the best. There is still a pretty significant price difference between Leica and the Swarovski. From what I've seen Leica is going to run you about 4500 to $1000 more depending on the model. Is it worth it? Which ones are better? Swaros seem to be the more popular recommendation on this site but why? Is it because they are a little less expensive?

How is Leica customer service compared to Swaro? If I had binos and spotters in each brand what is the return/repair policy? I've heard that the Swaro spotters are a pain in the a$$ to repair.

I don't have either brand; but I respect Leica for their ingenuity in the business. Nobody else has rangefinding or zoom binoculars of this quality.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I have owned Swaro SLC 10x42 and Leica Geovid 10x42. Looking through them simultaneously, here is my conclusion.

Comparing apples to apples (just glass without the Geovids rangefinder taken into consideration) the Swaro's have better glass, with more clarity to the edges, but caused more eye strain (for me).

But when you consider the Geovid's rangefinder, it pushes it over the top... I sold my Swaro's and kept my Geovids.

Cameraland has a great deal on Geovids right now...$1450 after mail-in rebate. That is what I recommend.

Grizzly

I own both- including the geovids Griz mentioned.

Bottom line is you need to spend some time behind the optics you are considering, if you can. Only then can you determine if it's worth it for you.

And a big +1 on the geovid recommendation. That is a SUPER deal. you'll never be sorry with those if you are looking for a rangefinder as well.

Optically, swaro v. leica, it's a tossup. Both are awesome. Depends on your eyes, the model, and the setup. But as has been mentioned the swaro customer service is supposed to be much better. I've bought my leica glass through cameraland so i've always had great support through him.

If you're choosing between leica and swaro, bottom line, you cant go wrong. It's just a preference thing.

There really is no "best" at that level if there was, that would be the only one surviving and would be the only choice. There may well be a best for you, and you are the only one who can really make that choice. Each of the big name binoculars has a somewhat "signature" look to the image. Zeiss is exceptionally bright and has a somewhat cool image tint. Leica has a more neutral tint and a close to real world color saturation. Swaro is not as bright in appearance as either, but the resolution in pure technical terms on any of the alphas is all your eye can use.

Don't get one just because you buddy has that brand. Unless your buddy's brand suits you then go ahead. Get whatever one you like. What matters is how you like it. Include how it feels in your hands and how well it points at the object you are looking at. The ergonomics are probably more important than the optics at that level, where they are all more than good enough. Service rep seems to favor Swarovski from what I can gather.

I myself saved money for two years.I bought the leica ultravid.But my friend and i spent allot of time looking through all three of the top brands.What i have learned is that everyone's eyes are different and i would suggest looking through all of them before making a decision .

I own a swaro sts80 spotter and swaro 10x42s and I love them. My brother owns the same binos and a leica spotter and he loves them. My dad has several pairs of swaro binos and a leica spotter, and he has beat the crap out of that spotter and it has taken it like a champ. One thing I like about the leica spotter is the fine focus adjustment.

I was told first hand by an industry insider, now correct me if I'm wrong here, that swaro supplies all the glass to the top tier manufactures leica, ziess, etc... It made sense with swaro being the world?s largest crystal manufacturer. They said the difference in the finished products were the coatings used on the glass and the different manufacturing processes used by each company.

You can't go wrong with either brand. Just spend some time with each and then make a decision.

You are correct that one manufacturer supplies almost all glass to the top manufacturers. It is Schott Glass Works which is actually owned by Zeiss. I just ordered the Leica Geovid 10 x 42 from Cameraland and that is a smoking deal they are offering. If you call them they are offering even a better deal than the $1799.00 they had them listed in the past.

Both are top rate companies with top rate products. At a sportmans show saw the "cut-away" of a an Ultravid... Leica builds them like a battleship...brass, stainless steel, titanium and strong mechanical fasteners that make mechanical engineers swoon... that is why they are so rugged. I have had a pair of Leica's for over 20 years and they are stilll going strong - no wonder. NJS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom