Leupold Scope Covers.......

kilowatt

Anyone ever buy these scope covers made for the Leupold scopes, they are threaded and screw right on the inside of the scope? The flip open piece can go half open or fully open and suppose to have a magnetic clasp I think, but tehy are like $45 per peice from Cabela's.

Brian

kilowatt-
Yes, I did buy a set this fall. Your scope needs to have the threads inside the objective. My intent was to install them only during incliment weather. I got the rear one screwed to the scope, no problem, I really liked how well it popped open.
Then came the heart breaker for me. The front cover would not screw in. I use the low mounts, and they do not get the objective far enough from the barrel to screw it in place.
Since I did not want to have them on the scope at all times, I did not take the scope off and screw on the front cover. I reluctantly sent them back. Currently have some Butler Creek covers which work ok.
Good Luck Coulee

Thanks for the info Coulee so I guess I will scrap that idea. Mine mounts are low too I believe so will just go with the Butler too.

Brian

Personally I really like the scopecoat type neoprene covers. I have used one for a few years now and by and large it is working better than things I have tried in the past. Not as fancy, no bells or whistles but it protects the scopes well.

Kilowatt have you thought about putting an extension or sun visor onto the scope to extend where the flip up would screw in so it might miss the bbl.?? Not sure what contour bbl you use so if it's a sporter or light bull then this might help. With a heavy bbl you are stuck though.

Pat C.

I bought one for an objective lens and thought the same thing Coulee did, that I couldn't screw it on to the scope without taking the scope out of the rings, but I was wrong. The inside bezel of the scope cover moves independently from the cover itself, so you can attach or detach it from the scope without having to remove the scope. It figures Leupold would be smart enough to make them that way. I haven't had occasion to use the scope cover in the field, so I can't really comment on its utility, but I've lost my share of Butler Creek scope covers in the past, and the screw-in attachment is definitely more secure. I picked mine up for a discount in the Bargain Barn at Cabelas. I suspect they get a few returned because of the apparent clearance problem.

I just took a measurement and have just under 5/16" clearance of the lens front to the top of the barrel. Maybe I will buy one and see how it works.

Thanks guys,

Brian

You can still get the scope cover on. You can screw it in place because it swivels indepedent of the cover itself. I highly recommend them.

Dad has them on a scope and really likes them. One time at the range the rear cap was situated so that the cap hinged to one side. During the recoil of a shot that cap would swing shut! Once we rotated it so that it was hinge up it was fine.

I just installed them on my new Nosler 48 .270 WSM. I have a Leupold Ultralight scope so clearance was no problem. BUT it is not possible to align the front cover properly unless you are very lucky since you don't know exactly where the cover will stop when it is screwed in. Mine was pretty close so it is OK.(You can align the back one by moving the focus ring a little.)

Anyone else have this problem?

Well I finally got the Leupold Scope covers like mentioned and after a few choice words, decided to re-read what some of you said. Then Marley's quote made me try it again, BINGO they work just fine.
Here are a few pictures of the scope and lens covers in place and in the closed, open and full layed back positions.
They are pricey, but still glad I went with these.
Brian
49909bf746594298.jpg

49909c1d47403232.jpg

49909c4147ebcb76.jpg

49909c684902a045.jpg

kilowatt-
WOW! Thanks for asking the question. I will now have to purchase another pair and do it also. This set up is much better than the Butler Creek one. I would not have figured it out on my own.
Thanks again!

Coulee,
What I did was open the cap covers and with one hand hold the cover against the scope and with the other hand using two fingers gently turn the very small piece of ring that is not the cover and it threads right on. Don't worry about it not being verticle till almost tightened down finger tight. Then straighten it up.

Just hold it in your hand and open the cover and you will see what I mean. Kind of like those finger kneerled attachments for ratchets.

Good luck,
Brian

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-09 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-09 AT 05:48?PM (MST)

Randy,

Very nice, what brand rifle and caliber there?
YUBA been through there an number of times.
Brian

Hello Brian
Hope all is well in your camp.

Here is some info on my gun.

Caliber 30-06
C/M 700 Action
Stainless 24 inch # 2 Lilja
1" Shank 1~11 Twist 3 Grove
Shilen Trigger
Ti Pin
Alum. Trigger guard.
Bedded Free-Floated in a Ti Stock