License Refund and Reissue

mike111

Can someone please explain the new rule change on the CDOW website related to the license refund and reissue. As a non-res applying for a pref-point is there any new changes?

There is a big thread down lower on the page.... but to answer your question, No is doesn't impact a NR applying for a pref-point.

Basically - people can only return tags 30 days before the season starts... in order to get their preference points or refund back. Then that tag will go back into the leftover list where anyone can pick up the tag.

Prior to this new rule, people could return tags the day before the season started... and get their preference points back. People were scouting before the hunt, if they didn't like what they saw, they could return the tag and get their points back. This new rule will eliminate that.

I also agree it's a great change, long overdue. It will be interesting how it all shakes out, will the quality tags ever reach the leftover list? or will insider information (CPOW) prevent fair chance for a regular hunter to obtain a turned in tag.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-16 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]

First come first served!

The thing that will make this very hard to try and get one is that their refund request only has to be POSTMARKED within 30 days before the hunt. So who knows when they will receive and post the "leftover" tag. Chances are that friends of the DOW will know about the tags before you and I do. And tags can be turned back in anytime after the drawing until 30 days, so it could be well before the 30 days deadline too.

However, it should also mean that many less tags are turned back in. Only those with legitimate personal reasons will be able to get a refund. It effectively eliminates those that scout up to the last day before the season, then turn their tag back in if they don't see the animal they want.

I like it

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I 'd like to point out that you can get your money back minus the $15 for processing etc. I'd like to point out that I like the 30 day idea.

I've hunted big game all over CO on public land. I almost always hunt a different area each year. There is game and during hunting season there are hunters everywhere in this state... so do your research, pick a place, make a plan, and hunt there!

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom