Life Size Mountain Lion

B

Bulzeye

About 4.5 years ago I went on a lion hunt with Randy and Josh Epperson. Long story short we worked hard and killed a great lion. It was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. My wife and I had always wanted a life sized lion mount for our home so I took it to Greg McBride at Trails End Wildlife Art in Queen Creek. I just got the lion back after a 4.5 year wait.

So here's the deal... I am asking for as many people as possible to post up their TRUE and HONEST opinions of the quality they see in this mount. If you like the way this lion turned out please express what you like about it. If you don't like it then please do the same. Please, no holds barred I am asking for your true impression and don't want any fluff or candy coating. So if you took the time to read all this at least take another few seconds to say what you think!!!

For what it's worth I'm not going to express my opinion now so I don't come across as leading the comments one way or the other.

Thank you!

2318img_4051.jpg

8143dscf0062a.jpg

30dscf0053a.jpg

4218dscf0055a.jpg

855dscf0056a.jpg

418dscf0057a.jpg

9397dscf0058a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-10 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]Absolutely horrible. The person that did this mount should not be allowed to use the word "taxidermist" in their business name. It might be able to be fixed. I would find a qualified taxidermist to fix it. By fix it - I mean rehydrate the skin and start from scratch.

I agree that thing is terrible it's face is not right and looks like it was mounted many years ago. I would be madder than hell and want my money back especially after waiting almost 5 years.

One of the worst lion mounts I've ever seen. I would be less than pleased..............

Had you looked at previous lion mounts he'd done? Cause I assure you this fellow has never done a good one if this one looks like this..........

Unfortunatley his website shows nice looking mounts.........but no cats. It's easy to say you can do the job and it will look great, but another to accomplish it.

Always make an effort to see what the taxidermist is capable of doing before you allow him to mount it. Some guys just can't do cats.......but don't mind taking your money.

Sorry for the dissapointing mount, at least you got some good pictures.
Later,
Dustin

OMG!!!
Sorry dude, really.
Looks like the same guy did my record-book Aoudad (lifesize).
I got a full refund. I hope you get the same, you deserve it!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-10 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]Truthfully, it doesn't even look like the same hide. The head one the one you shot is much bigger and broader. He has ruined your mount! I would go to him and demand a refund + some for your time and expenses. There are some excellent taxi's that would be worth a five year wait, but they dont even take that long.

I would also let everyone know, so no one gets screwed like this!

I do know a few that might be able to save it, they are in utah and colorado though.

On his website, it looks like he does good work and for 30 years in the business, I sure wouldn't let that go out of my shop. There are no pics of a cat, so we don't know if he has any idea of what a cat looks like!!!

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

LMMFAO!!!

LMMFAO!!!

I know,it ain't funny!!!
I guess He thought if you waited 4.5 years you'd forget what it looked like?

You filed any paper work yet?

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I'm totally surprised there ain't spots on the cat he mounted for you!

I think that you already knew the answer to you're question before you posted. It's amazing that a taxadermist would let such a terrible mount leave his shop. I hope you get some sort of restitution.

Don P

If that lion mount indeed left Greg's shop looking like that, I'd agree with you guys. But believe me, there's no way that's the case (I worked for Greg years ago, and I know his commitment to detail). Many, many successful hunters/clients will attest to that. There's much more to this than has been offered here on MM, trust me ...

Lv2hnt

"Every man dies --- not every man really lives."

>If that lion mount indeed left
>Greg's shop looking like that,
>I'd agree with you guys.
>But believe me, there's no
>way that's the case (I
>worked for Greg years ago,
>and I know his commitment
>to detail). Many, many successful
>hunters/clients will attest to that.
>There's much more to this
>than has been offered here
>on MM, trust me ...
>
>
>Lv2hnt
>
>"Every man dies --- not every
>man really lives."

Nope... nothing more. This cat was delivered to me last week at my home in Prescott. I took the pictures 20 minutes later. This is actually his second attempt at the lion. Below are the pictures of his first attempt.

You may have known Greg for a long time and even worked for him, but you don't know me so please don't come on here and suggest that I am some how holding back details or messing with the mount to hurt Greg. I have been friends with Greg for years and even gone on several hunts with him and his daughters in Arizona and New Mexico. THIS LION IS EXACTLY HOW IT WAS DELIVERED TO ME LAST WEEK!

Here is a quote from an email I got from Greg just this morning regarding this very lion mount:

"Tim - That lion is an awesome mount, you had it preplanned to say you didn't like it. You sent the kids back in and those words were out of your mouth before the door was completely open."

6792lion_mount_001a.jpg

1182lion_mount_002a.jpg

that thing will grace bad taxidermy threads for years to come. even if it was a free mount i would be mad as hell let alone a once in a lifetime dream critter.

I have seen a lot of lion mounts and that has to be the worst job I ever witnessed. I am truly sorry for you; had it happen to me on an animal, once.

I would not have given him a second chance on it. Obviously he was incapable of doing it right. I would find out if that hide is salvageable, and have it done right.

I didn't know chronic wasting disease could be passed to cats! That think looks absolutely sick. I would definately ask for my money back and get it to another taxi quick to get it rehydrated.

That has got to be the worst mount I have seen yet! Thanks for the heads up on his work! wow thats bad!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

What'd the first mount/job look like or do I dare ask?

Well I hate to say this!
But I've got a Utah Lion on my wall that will kick your African Lions Ass!}>}>}>

Looks like a cross between the pink panther and an alley cat with a bad case of worms.

No, really, it does.

Man - sorry to see you got the raw end of a deal like that. Absoulutely horrible taxidermy job. Sad to say but the first attempt might have been better.

I would make sure I got all my money back.

Sorry - truly sorry.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I hope this is a joke because that thing looks like sh!t.

If you are not joking i truly feel bad for you. I hope you get your money back or credit toward some shoulder mounts. (If the guy is any better at them)

Out of curiosity, what did he charge you for that "awesome" mount that his kindergartener did for you?

I would want a full refund and if he gets angry, take him to court over it! that kind of work should not ever leave a taxidermist! If he does that crappy of work maybe its time to retire!!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-10 AT 06:41AM (MST)[p]Man, you guys are a bit harsh!

Other than the deformed body, ridiculous looking head, the wide-eyed look, silly-putty nose, terrible facial finish, lack of muscle detail and the phony looking faux rocks, it's a very good job. I mean, check out that great looking tail. }>

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I just want to clear up the question I seem to be hearing the most, which is if he did such a bad job the first time why would you take it back? Greg McBride at Trails End Wildlife Art was my friend for many years, so first off I was trying to be nice and not ruin a friendship. However, friendship aside, after the first mount I spoke with three different high quality taxidermists in Arizona and none of them wanted to touch the mount. There was to much risk that they would loose the hide and/or they would never be able to do the mount enough justice that they would want their name and good reputations attached to it. So my wife and I made the decision to go ahead and let Greg McBride try and fix it on his dime. But that's not all, at that point we also had such little faith that Greg could make things right so we decided to book another lion hunt with Randy Epperson and get another lion to have mounted by someone that had a track record of producing quality lion mounts. Hopefully that helps some of you understand that I'm not just an idiot that had complete faith in Greg to do it all over again. We saw the writing on the wall and covered our butt in other ways.

For what it's worth... Yes I did kill another lion which I am having mounted life size by Mark Plunkett.

And finally, I did find a taxidermist that was willing to try and get the hide off the bad mount and start over. There are some risks involved and we may end up doing some sort of wall pedistal mount instead of a life size, but it's better than nothing. Once he gets the hide off he will look it over and we will discuss our options and go from there.

Since it is a newer mount, the hide can probably be rehydrated and removed. Unless he used an epoxy type paste, it will come right off. Might consider rugging it if the hide is ok. Then you could just remount the head, stretch out the body. Lot less money too. Just a thought...

Here is a picture of a Kaibab mule deer that Greg McBride at Trails End Wildlife Art mounted for me as well. What does everyone think?

7812kaibab_hunt_006a.jpg

4091taxidermy_003.jpg

JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST!!!
Is this yours too?

All I can say is WOW! I'm not a taxidermist but I know what I think looks good. That mount does not. Proof that not all taxidermists can do cats correctly. I personally would not accept that mount.

Here are a couple pics of my Life Size Mountain Lions to compare the difference in the work.

1536dsc_0003_5.jpg

2443dsc_0004_5.jpg

9403dsc_0001_5.jpg

8107dsc_0003_4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-10 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]grayarcher-truthfully the faces on those dont look right either, dont get me wrong there good, but the eyes and head size are not right for a cougar.

Bulzeye- get some pics of a cougar in the wild, then look at the taxis work on cougars, if they look the same, eyes, stanse, body muscle contour, all around positioning. Go with him, remember a great mount is going to cost you about the same as a guided cat hunt.

Also, quit going to this guy, your deer he ruined also!!!!!

Hey Bulzeye,
Gonna try & cheer you up a bit,hopefully you don't recognize this mount too?
593922707849.jpg

Serious question, does that mulie mount look like a live mule deer? Go out in the wild and really study mule deer. Go look at a bunch of mule deer photos, and you can answer your own question.

If you have to have a license to do taxidermy his should be revoked. Man that is the the worst current-day mountain lion I've ever seen. Looks like something from the 60's. Just nasty!!! Since you are already feeling pretty bad I'll tell ya the mule deer is only slightly better.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]Harry,

That looks like Soucy's work. He does good cats, as well.

Feleno,

Chris is working on my scimitar oryx as we speak, and he will also be doing a double TX whitetail pedestal and a bobcat/d'back snake diorama for me as he gets to them.

Marc Plunket at Wildlife Creations, who is mounting Tim's 2nd cat, had done my work for about 20 years. In fact, one of my two trophy rooms has about 15 mounts he did and is known as the Plunket Museum. I had no complaints about his work or anything else with Marc, but I recently switched to Chris for convenience after Marc moved to Camp Verde.

I would highly recommend either of the two to anyone.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

All 3 mounts are terrible. Oddly enough,the re-do of the lion was worse than the first attempt.And that's saying something....

+1,cbeard.The first go-round was better.The deer is not good,either.The work looks like that of a rookie.NEVER take your mounts to a friend to have done.Been there,done that.IT DON'T WORK!!The hard feelings remain forever-on both sides!

That is the stuff that ruins friendships! Those are terrible! The deer is not very good either IMO. Reminds me of a guy in my area that mounts deer for about half of what the best in the area will do a mount for and he does a lot of business but I can't stand to look at the mounts as they are not worth the cheaper price. As we all know you get what you pay for.

I am very sorry you had to be on the receiving end of this but the deer should have been an indication of what to expect.

Bill

Dude that deer is amazing.............. Has he ever even set foot in the field to even look at a deer or even pick up a hunting magazine?!?!??! That, hands down, is the absolute worst taxidermy I've ever seen! Sorry it's cost you so much money, let alone a friendship with the man. I mean seriously, you paid Dad a good chunk for the hunt of both lions, the $2500 taxidermy bill and now you gotta pay another taxidermist to remount a worthless POS, IF it's salvageable! Sorry you're going thru all this my friend. A hard lesson learned I guess......

>About 4.5 years ago I went
>on a lion hunt with
>Randy and Josh Epperson. Long
>story short we worked hard
>and killed a great lion.
>It was one of the
>best hunts I've ever been
>on. My wife and I
>had always wanted a life
>sized lion mount for our
>home so I took it
>to Greg McBride at Trails
>End Wildlife Art in Queen
>Creek. I just got the
>lion back after a 4.5
>year wait.
>
>So here's the deal... I am
>asking for as many people
>as possible to post up
>their TRUE and HONEST opinions
>of the quality they see
>in this mount. If you
>like the way this lion
>turned out please express what
>you like about it. If
>you don't like it then
>please do the same. Please,
>no holds barred I am
>asking for your true impression
>and don't want any fluff
>or candy coating. So if
>you took the time to
>read all this at least
>take another few seconds to
>say what you think!!!
>
>For what it's worth I'm not
>going to express my opinion
>now so I don't come
>across as leading the comments
>one way or the other.
>
>
>Thank you!
>
>
2318img_4051.jpg

>
>
8143dscf0062a.jpg

>
>
30dscf0053a.jpg

>
>
4218dscf0055a.jpg

>
>
855dscf0056a.jpg

>
>
418dscf0057a.jpg

>
>
9397dscf0058a.jpg

Saw this in a couple year old Trophy Hunter mag, a guy named Dirk Bawden from UT. I gotta say this is the most lifelike lion I've ever seen mounted. AMAZING!!

Josh Epperson

4502lion.jpg

Wow! I would be embarrassed to let that out of my shop and I would be very upset with it, if I were you. I hope this story has a happy ending. Looks like we have some new photos now for our "Best of the Worst Cat Taxidermy" thread that seems to resurface now and again. I'm a newbie to taxidermy, but it is easy for me to see that cat taxidermy should be left with taxis who specialize in cats.

>About 4.5 years ago I went
>on a lion hunt with
>Randy and Josh Epperson. Long
>story short we worked hard
>and killed a great lion.
>It was one of the
>best hunts I've ever been
>on. My wife and I
>had always wanted a life
>sized lion mount for our
>home so I took it
>to Greg McBride at Trails
>End Wildlife Art in Queen
>Creek. I just got the
>lion back after a 4.5
>year wait.
>
>So here's the deal... I am
>asking for as many people
>as possible to post up
>their TRUE and HONEST opinions
>of the quality they see
>in this mount. If you
>like the way this lion
>turned out please express what
>you like about it. If
>you don't like it then
>please do the same. Please,
>no holds barred I am
>asking for your true impression
>and don't want any fluff
>or candy coating. So if
>you took the time to
>read all this at least
>take another few seconds to
>say what you think!!!
>
>For what it's worth I'm not
>going to express my opinion
>now so I don't come
>across as leading the comments
>one way or the other.
>
>
>Thank you!
>
>
2318img_4051.jpg

>
>
8143dscf0062a.jpg

>
>
30dscf0053a.jpg

>
>
4218dscf0055a.jpg

>
>
855dscf0056a.jpg

>
>
418dscf0057a.jpg

>
>
9397dscf0058a.jpg

Is this the same cat from picture 3 and and picture 4 from the finished product? on pix 3 the cat has like almost looking forward and pix 4 the cat is looking to the side? or does this cat have and adjustable neck? lol!!!its probly camera angle?

This isn't what you want to hear, but it's your own fault and not the "taxidermist"
You should have checked out his cat work first.
If this is the "quality" of work that he produces then you can't expect to recieve a mount that looks like Phil Soucy's.
Judging from the mule deer mount that was posted I'd say that all his work looks like your cat.
Unless he is displaying work done by other taxidermist and has photo albums made up of work done by others, I don't think you stand a chance of getting a refund, nor should you.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 04:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 04:28?PM (MST)

da dun da dun, da dun da dun da dun, da da duuuuunn dada da dun. Is that the Pink Panther we see?

8776badcat.jpg

Where have we seen this before????

1133pink_panther_face.jpg

HOOK....LINE...AND SINKER GUYS.... There is no freakin way, We all saw this before with a crappy looking BOBCAT remember?!?!??

LMFAO!!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I am like others and have a hard time believing that is the same cat. Small head vs big head. Small body vs big body. You know the bullet or arrow holes? Is this the same hide? I feel your pain on both the cat and the deer. I would not be happy with either. Personally, I don't know this taxidermist and have had the same taxidermist do all 20 or so of my mounts and there is one that is just not right. Not sure why or how or what but I moved it into another room as it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the others. Unfortunately, we all live and learn. Saddest part is the friendship that was damaged/ruined.

You asked for true and honest...that cat really sucks. If it happened to me I would load that cat into the back of my truck. After all the sun, bugs, rain, and highway speeds can't hurt it any. Then I would park my truck in front of Mr. McBride's shop. Tape a short letter on the side of the vehicle explaining when and where the cat was mounted. By October Mr. McBride should be offering to buy the cat back from you. At this point the only meaningful thing left is the memories and the photos.

Poor cat looks sad! Your mule deer looks like sh!t. If this were baseball, you would be down to your last strike! Look on the bright side, bring those two mounts out around Halloween time and scare the holy sh!t out of everyone!!! Sorry, I know those animals probably meant alot to you!

Sorry about your Cat man!! I might have cried on the spot! :)
FWIW in the future & in regards to post #55....Dirk Bawden's Cat mounts are AWESOME! I have not tagged a cat yet, but the one's I have seen come out of his shop have been amazing. It's no wonder he is trusted with African Game all year long....including all of the "big cats". Would recommend him anyday, all day!
Big Stuff Taxidermy Erda,UT

Wow! Definately a sad excuse for a taxi-job. The taxidermist ovbiously isn't a cat man or for that matter a muley man. Maybe his specialty is rodents? Does your taxidermist really do this trade for a living or does he just do a couple of mounts every decade or so. This thread has been entertaining but now that your friendship is pretty much ruined you may as well take him to court and try to get some of your money back. I really think you could prove in court that this cat mount doesn't even remotely look anything like a cougar. :)

Allphotosonthecamera3093.jpg

The deer and the lion look really bad. As a couple of other guys said...I would have never given this guy a second chance. Heck..i would have got my money back on the mule deer, the lion would have never been in this guys shop!

Josh

As I write this response, I find myself strangely with no proper words... So the first few thoughts that came to mind are... Why, HA!, You get what you pay for, You used this guy twice?, You used this guy once?!, Didn't you see his work before you sent the first critter?, Did you think it looked OK??? HA! Why are you asking what we think? Oh, this is a joke, that is funny!!! HA!!!

That is probably one of the worst jobs i have ever seen I would Take that thing back and get my money back did you look at his work before dropping it off. It doesn't even look like your cat.

You are taking some great animals, to bad you are not able to enjoy the the work you spent your hard earned money on! Time for a new taxidermist!!!!!

that field picture looks like a nice lion. whatever that mount is supposed to be, it looks like you found some kind of cross breed where a bobcat f%cked a coyote! Sorry you got hosed, hope it works out in the end.

Any More word on this?

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!

I think your best bet is to email the pics to feleno and have him do a photoshop job on them. Ya know put some half naked girls posing around the cat, anythimg to redirect your eye from the cat. You could frame the pic and hang it on your wall instead of the actual mount!
Traditional only >>>------->

My honest opinion the lion sucks.... I would have a hard time handing a check to that dude. The deer sucks too. I would seriously cut into the mount get the skull plate out of there buy a different cape and have somebody else remount it!! The Lion I say catch it on fire!!! Just take the awesome pics and of the day you got him and maybe get one of them Fat Head wall posters made out of it.
This sure puts alot of gut wrenching in me I am expecting a full lion mount here in the next few weeks. If it turns out like that I'd cry... My Taxidermist has done alot of other great work so I feel okay..

I knew the neighbor's feline ##### cat got killed. That is ridiculous. Both the deer and the mountain lion are a joke. Good luck with getting it fixed to any kind of respectable look to it. As with some of the other posts, doesn't even looked like your original, beautiful mule deer cape and lion.

Looks like everything shrank to me. Where did he get the hide? off of a dead house cat?

I like the idea of parking your truck out in front of the Taxi's shop with a sign on it. I too feel that after it sat out there for awhile he would be willing to pay big money to get that thing back! fatrooster.

It looks like hes done a couple cougars, the one on KSL right now is just about as bad, he might be getting better, its hard to tell though

We kill a lot of lions here in Idaho and Imperial Taxidermy, Mitch Sanchotena and Nathan Denardi, both win a ton of awards for their cats. When I was first looking for a taxi for my son's deer I spoke with about 10 taxidermists, the thing that struck me the most was Mitch explaining the art of doing cat's and especially about the details of like the positioning of the pupils.

If you are considering cat work give these guys a call.

http://www.imperialtaxidermy.com/gallery8.html

PS the shoulder and plate mounts they've done for me have been amazing and the turn around time is very good.

I feel bad for you man.

I made this for a joke a while back, but yours is no joke and I bet you paid a good price. Can I ask what he charged you for that abortion of a cat?

cat2.jpg

So my 6 year old boy loves mountain lions so i pulled up this post to show him one. Well lets just say he started to snicker and he said that it looks way funny and asked why his eyes look funny and why it is such a bad mount. I think thats funny a 6 year old can point it out in seconds of looking at the first pic of the mount.

Ok, I haven't commented on this site for some time but....
First I do agree that this is a very poorly done cat, (as well as the Deer).
I see a lot of posters stating that you should not pay for this or to take the Taxidermist to court and sue them.
Since taxidermy is classified as an art form I do not think you have a leg to stand on in court. Most taxidermists require a deposit that is none refundable and the balance to be paid upon pickup. If you paid the balance and left with this Lion you are saying that you are satisfied with it. This trade truly is a buyer beware market and it is up to you to fined those that can do what is expected.

Stalker, that is not true, I saw on that show Judge Joe Brown a few years ago where a guy sued for a bad lion mount he got his money + he got money because the guy ruined his once in a life time mountain lion, the dude walked out of there with $5000.00 and the judge said he would have gave him more but that was all he was allowed due to it being small claims court.

If you get the right judge he should be able to get his money back.

Jake H. SHED OR DEAD IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

You gotta be kidding, you've been taking awesome animals but have nothing but a few pics to show for it. The idea of a mount is to remember the animal as it was when you took it. If I was your cat mount I'd be begging for a bullet cause that boy looks sick. Just plain crap. I'd be pist.

Let the post live on...

Should have dyed it pink... It would look just like the cartoon..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Wow That has to be one of the year's worse mounts. Anyone else have any mounts by this guy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Wow that is sad. I can't believe the taxidermist ( or whatever he is ) would even claim to have done that mount.
I feel sorry you got taken so bad. It looks like the mounted cat has gone hungry for months and is ready to pass on. And the one closeup of the face makes it appear he is a gummer and has no teeth..
Hope you can get your money back....

should enter it in the taxidermist show that is coming up and put his name on it. I believe that would be a good thing to do.
Would love to see it happen.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Here is a picture of a
>Kaibab mule deer that Greg
>McBride at Trails End Wildlife
>Art mounted for me as
>well. What does everyone
>think?
>
>
7812kaibab_hunt_006a.jpg

>
>
>
4091taxidermy_003.jpg

Why on earth would you have ever gone back to this person?

My olderst son started playing with taxidermy on ducks when he was 14 with zero instruction other than a video he bought & I guarantee you he could have done a better job.

Find a new taxidermist!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom