Lightweight Backpacking Tripod Recommendations

idig4au

What are your recommendations for tripods suitable for long range back pack hunting that are study but lighweight. I was thinking in the 2 lb range. I love my manfretto for glassing when I don't have to pack it, but its not suitable for backpacking.

I see the outdoorsmen out of arizona has a lightweight tripod. Anyody have any experience with it?

The tripod will be used for either my 15x56 Swarovski's Bino's or with my 65mm Swarovski spotting scope.

I'm not too concern with the cost, but rather the end all be all solution to this. I would rather spend the money and buy it once and have something that works.

Thanks

Not the highest end, but for price, weight, and useability, the Vortex Highcountry is decent.

Check out the gitzmo carbon fiber..Don't make the same mistake I did and look only at weight. Make sure you pick a tripod tall enough you don't have to lay down to look through your scope...

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

I have the Vortex High Country and it is ok for what it is and what it costs. but there are a few other solutions out there around the $200 mark that are much better and dont come in much over the 2lb mark. i think the vortex is good, but you get what you pay for.

I bought another tripod this past season because I was backpacking and glassing for Coues a lot. I wanted lightest weight, shortest compressed length, tallest working height, and ability to handle a spotter. I bought a Promaster Carbon T525P.
Max working ht of 53", folded length of 14 3/16", only weighs 2 lbs. 3 oz, has a spring loaded weight hook and can handle a heavy spotter. Compared to an Outdoorsman, it is shorter compressed length, lighter, taller extended height, and quieter because of fiberglass legs and not one metal pipe inside another.

>I bought another tripod this past
>season because I was backpacking
>and glassing for Coues a
>lot. I wanted lightest weight,
>shortest compressed length, tallest working
>height, and ability to handle
>a spotter. I bought a
>Promaster Carbon T525P.
>Max working ht of 53", folded
>length of 14 3/16", only
>weighs 2 lbs. 3 oz,
>has a spring loaded weight
>hook and can handle a
>heavy spotter. Compared to an
>Outdoorsman, it is shorter compressed
>length, lighter, taller extended height,
>and quieter because of fiberglass
>legs and not one metal

It obviously has carbon fiber legs.
>pipe inside another.

look at the slic pro carbon series, they hayve several models, they are sweet

YOU'RE FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

If I could afford it I'd probably go Outdoorsmans. But that is a serious amount of coin for a tripod. I still have my eye on it, but right now I run a Vortex HighCountry with a manfrotto 322RC grip ball head. Entire setup was less than $200 from Doug at Cameraland. It's a very nice and serviceable set up. Again, I'd love to go carbon or Outdoorsman's, but if you're constrained on budget something like this might appeal to you. You can even stick with the stock ball head on the HighCountry and be done with it for under $100.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Since the overwhelming majority indicated the outdoorsman, I went with that one. I got the medium version as I spend most of my time glassing sitting down and I ordered the pistol grip as well. I also ordered a couple of adapter plates. So I should be good to go.

Thanks again

Looks like I'm to late :I have the same set up as you and went with a Slik pro613cf tripod you can't beat it for packing (1 lb 9 oz). My hunting partner has the outdoorsman med tripod nice but to heavy and short for me.The outdoorsmans pistol grip is awesome but I would send there tripod back.Give Slik a look.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom