Lightweight Rifles!

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
Seems like everyone is into the big guns and big scopes with huge turrets now. Almost more shooting than stalking... Who still likes a light rifle that you can almost forget carrying all day and is handy? Medium power caliber and small scope... I do....

I have a very light .300 win built on a Model 70 action. I love it. I can carry all day and the recoil isn't bad at all. I still don't understand I have had one shooter after another tell me accurate rifles need the weight. But my light .300 is the most accurate rifle I own. It will shoot farther than my limitations allow it. It has been to Alaska and Africa and all over the lower 48. I guarantee the next rifle I ever buy for hunting the west it will be another super light rifle.

Me! I carry either a Model 70 Feather Weight 30/06 or a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300WSM. Both have 3X9 scopes on them. Both rifles will shoot to my limits.

While I can choose from a variety of special purpose rifles, my go to rig is a Kimber 84L in 30.06. At roughly 6 pounds without scope this is a dream to carry and shoots inside an inch. Whats not to like?
Bill

Well i'll be darn, Fudd and i actually agree on something!

My heavier rifles stay in the safe most of the time. I didn't mind packing a 10+ pound shooter around when i was younger but when i got my first setup that totaled around 7 pounds, i was instantly hooked!

Just because a rifle is lighter, doesn't automatically mean that it won't shoot lights out!

To borrow a phrase i read on here once, "you know you been packing your rifle around a lot when you can tell from the weight of it, if or not there are bullets in the magazine."

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON May-09-14 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]I never realized how much easier it is to hunt high and hard until I got a lighter rifle. Now, weight is the first question I ask if I am looking for another rig. I am now also favoring the stainless versions because of a bad weather experience with a blued weapon. But then I am seriously getting up there in years.

I have a tikka t3 in 30-06 and its really light, recoil isn't bad at all and its really accurate. I also have a nosler model 48 sporter in 300wsm and its extremely light and ridiculously accurate. Both rifles do not have big scopes on them either.

Goat

I agree that a lightweight rifle is a dream to carry on a mountain hunt.

I've been using lightweights in one form or another since 1979 when I first turned down the barrel and "glass" stocked my 280.

My current is a 700 action, 300wsm, Kevlar stock, fluted barrel and bolt body, skeletonize bolt handle, stainless steel custom. Its a killer!

To answer your question: yes

Zeke

Another ..Yes. Great topic, some of these long range systems are way over hyped.

My go to rifle is 30 years old. Started out as a Ruger M77 in 7mmRmag(only thing I could afford). Put on a Brown Precsion fiberglass stock, and have since rebarreled with a stainless steel Pacnor and a new trigger. Shoots better than I do. Have used all aver North Am. and 3 trips to Africa.

Couple years ago was at the Cody shooting complex and Best of the West was there shooting Ballistic profiles on a dozen or so rifles. They had just started using Cooper rifles, picked one up and must have weighed 12 lbs. Mentioned this sure isn't a mountain rifle, got a mumbled response....LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Just had a .264 WM built on a Pierce titanium action that with a scope is just under 7 pounds. What's even better is that it makes the gong sing at 800 yards every shot. Best of both worlds.

I picked up a Weatherby Mark V Ultralite 25-06 a few years ago and it's now my go to rig. It's very accurate, pleasant to shoot and even nicer to carry. Shooting 120 grain partitions out of it has proved to be deadly effective on a handful of deer from 350-400 yards.

RatsE: Lightweight Rifles!

if your not man enough to carry them. your getting old or lazy??I am both, so I take a grand kid long!!

RE: RatsE: Lightweight Rifles!

Just found a smith that builds a 6.5 pound .300 RUM so maybe I will get a light rifle. mtmuley

am with PCpython..
all I use for deer is my Weatherby Ultralite
in .257 wtby mag
I took deer/lopes out 500/600 yrds(Barnes X 120gr boat tails)...with a 10x
scope!
Elk I have a "hot" 7MM R.U.M!!
(DON'T GIVE NMY CRAP Bess down graded from a .338 Rum)
Its not to heavy for a Ruger model One! (never needed a second shot).
J

Browning Ti in 7WSM
5 1/2 #

9647ti_web.jpg

That is a very sexy Browning! I have a browning xbolt, stainless fluted barrel with the carbon fiber finish stock in 270 wsm and I really enjoy it! My scope also has a gold ring on the end of it! It is nice to pack and shoots good. I have shot deer, elk, bear, antelope, and varmits with it. Thanks for sharing and chalk me up for a lightweight rifle guy!

My first lite weight is a rugar in 270. Used it on several game including my mtn. goat. I now also have an all weather stainless Winchester in 300 WSM. Pretty much the go to gun right now. Have a 300 RUM in the sender for some hunts, but it does weigh a bit

I love my H.S. precision pro hunter light weight in 270 WSM. but then again I like hunting better than shooting

Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm. Hasn't let me down yet. Light enough, shoots about any ammo well, crisp trigger, plenty of thump.

I like a mid weight in 8-8.5lbs, modest scopes of 40-42mm and a max of 10-14x on the top end, barrel no more than 24" and a short for me lenth of pull..My correct LOP is 13-3/4 but I like my hunting rifles around 13-3/8".

I drive a heavier rifle much better than a super light.

I have a custom Sako Vixen in 6mm ppc that was built as light as possible. My dad had it built and although I have not weighed it in a while, I think it came in around 5 pounds. It almost feels like carrying around a kids toy.

I have a Remington model 700 Mountain LSS in 30.06 that was the first rifle my dad bought me. I haven't personally weighted it but the manufacture has it listed at 6.625 pounds and I absolutely love that gun. Shoots nice groups, lightweight, and looks good to boot (especially the little dings and dents its acquired while out in the field).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom