Lion without dogs

CouesFanatic

Well my question is do I have any reasonable chance killing a lion without dogs? The only dog I have is a bulldog, that thing would die before it got out of the truck! But I spend a lot of time outdoors, scouting for deer hunts, elk hunts ect. I have only seen 2 lions and both were in 03, probably the same one. I do call coyotes occaisionally, so there is a small posibility there. I don't know, what do ya'll think, will I ever get one without dogs?

In my opinion very little chance to no chance. The only chance you have is to find a recent lion kill deer or elk and camp on that for a week and you may get lucky with the lion comming back into finish on the killed animal. However, if you want a quality guide with a good set of hounds, that would give you nearly a 100% sucess rate, I would recommend Kevin Bounsgard.

Good Luck!

Dude,

Scroll down this forum a little bit further and you'll see a fairly recent thread called "Called in Cougar" with some photos.

Lions can be called in and on some occasions can be taken without the use of dogs.

Go find that thread and check it out. I thought it was pretty cool and it can happen!!

There is a guy in Arizona whose name is Steve Craig, he has very good luck calling lions consistantly with lion vocalizations.

You might do a search on the net, he runs a guiding service....he might help you out in finding the right sounds.

I have been calling for predators (coyotes primarily) for nearly 20 years in prime Cat country and never had one come in as to date, I'm not saying that it can't be done, just not likely. But I guess you never know and one day one will possibly present itself.

Since your in AZ, your best bet without dogs would probably be the San Carlos Rez. They are a little thick up ther right now as they are giving away lion tags along with other big game tags that are purchased.

Most times when you call coyotes you are there for 15 minuted to a half hour. I have heard that lions and bobcats come in alot slower and that you would need to call for over an hour. I bet there are books that could tell you everything about it.

I have a friend out here in Elko, and he fills a lion tag every year, and has never used dogs. you better have your jockstrap on and be in good shape. just cut a fresh set of tracks in semi-open country, and run the thing down. when he gets to a big canyon with fresh snow just follow the track with your binos, a lot of time he finds them out sunning on a rock and smokes then from a couple hundred yards.

NVMDF

I've heard of several people bagging a lion by hunting the fresh snow for a track and pushing it all day until you either force it to tree or spot it. Cougars are the easiet of the the critters to tree.

there is half a dozen or so cats killed every year in the area i'm from without dogs, wait for snow and get after it they will either tree up or flat out run you.I called a cat in a week ago a screwed it up cat was watching me from the brush took a bad shot when it ran.

I have dogs and catch many cats with them, I have also tracked them by foot. I have saw lions under rocks in yellow dry grass sunning themselves, but I have never treed one on foot. I just don't think I can run that fast.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have killed two lions without dogs. The first one I got by tracking it down in fresh snow. It only took about 45 minutes.The track was very fresh and the snow was very quiet.We seen each other about the same time and the lion took of running but stopped and looked back about 80 yards away. I shot it with a 308.
The second lion I killed was just 1 week ago. I am a mechanic for a logging Co. I was up in the mountains working and found a fresh lion kill. It was covered up with pine needles and the cat was not there. I always carry a rifle in my service truck to shoot coyotes with. So after I got done working I went and sat close to the dead deer. I sat there for two hours 2:30 till 4:30 and it still had'nt showed.It was raining and blowing hard and I was getting cold,But i was determined to stick it out till dark.
Well about 4:45 I saw some movment about 60 yards below and to my right.It was the cat!I got my gun up and watched the cat walk up to the deer carcas.It had no clue that I was around even thow it had crossed my tracks. I shot the cat right thru the heart and it ran about 80 yards befor pileing up. It was a 95 pound female.

>I have killed two lions without
>dogs. The first one I
>got by tracking it down
>in fresh snow. It only
>took about 45 minutes.The track
>was very fresh and the
>snow was very quiet.We seen
>each other about the same
>time and the lion took
>of running but stopped and
>looked back about 80 yards
>away. I shot it with
>a 308.
> The second lion I killed
>was just 1 week ago.
>I am a mechanic for
>a logging Co. I was
>up in the mountains working
>and found a fresh lion
>kill. It was covered up
>with pine needles and the
>cat was not there. I
>always carry a rifle in
>my service truck to shoot
>coyotes with. So after I
>got done working I went
>and sat close to the
>dead deer. I sat there
>for two hours 2:30 till
>4:30 and it still had'nt
>showed.It was raining and blowing
>hard and I was getting
>cold,But i was determined to
>stick it out till dark.
>
>Well about 4:45 I saw some
>movment about 60 yards below
>and to my right.It was
>the cat!I got my gun
>up and watched the cat
>walk up to the deer
>carcas.It had no clue that
>I was around even thow
>it had crossed my tracks.
>I shot the cat right
>thru the heart and it
>ran about 80 yards befor
>pileing up. It was a
>95 pound female.

Here is a picture of the last cougar that I killed.
4556b26b5b0fd0bb.jpg

A good friend of mine was trying to call in bears with a cub in disstress call this past fall and after two hours of calling he decided it would not work and stood up and a cougar jumped up 20 feet from him that he did not see come in. So he sat back dowm and called for a couple of minutes and the cat came back in and he shot it.

I have killed 2 by spot and stalk and shot at 2 others and missed. Spend a lot of time out and all that time behind your bino's. Both the cats I killed were toms. 123# and 101# field dressed weights.

My hat is off to all of you that have done it with out dogs what ever way you made it happen. Makes me want to go try it I never even thought about doing it with out a dog. I would love to kill one. I have mounted quiet a few but never had a tag for myself. I thought I worked hard when I was hunting but you all make me feel like a freakin road hunter. Right on to all of you. Keep after em.

Jordan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom