Little break from horn hunting! (pic)

guywildstorm

Been doing a little hunting but not the HORN kind!!
138112.jpg

This is the bird I killed yesterday morning. 4-17-04

Guy

Brandon
We are in western Colorado. Our area is starting to get pretty good for birds. They have been transplanting some birds in from other areas for about the past 10 yrs or so and they are starting to do pretty well.
This bird should of been my sons. That is him with me in the pic.We had him gobbling off the roost tree before light but when they flew down he had about 10 hens with him and started feeding up the drainage. We pulled back out and got above them and set up again. He would gobble to the crow call and we would set up and he would keep right on moving. This went on for about two hours. We had split up and my brother was trying to get my sons hunt on film so they were togeter. Me and another buddy were just hanging back trying to keep tabs on where the bird was for them. He finally gobbled between where we were and where my son and brother were. I stepped out into the quakies and just kinda hung out and waited and sure enough he came up below me about 75 yds. He wasnt gobbling and was just kinda standing and semi strutting. Something spooked a hen that was above him that I hadnt even seen and that made him nervous and he made the mistake of coming my way. My son was packing my 835 and I had his 20 gauge. Dont need the 31/2" mags when they are only about 15 yds!! Nice bird but didnt have much for spurs and his beard was pretty thick at the base but was broke off and was pretty thin out at the end. Im sure he was a 2 yr old bird.

Later,
Guy

That's pretty cool to take him us in the quakies this early. But where is all your snow? Our quakies are still hopefully in a little more snow than that!
Congrats on a good looking bird! Seems like the western birds seem to break of wear their beards off easier than other areas!
Good luck on you son getting a bird also!
a*r

Remember: A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Well the son finally scored last night. He couldnt resist and shot a little jake. I have pics on my camera and when I get them back I will post them.
Guy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom