Long range scope opinion

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hi All
What scope in your opinion would be the best long range scope in the $1300 range and under?

Thanks

depends on what you want it to do.

I have a vortex that i got for about $400. Killed a deer at 638 yrds with it.

I've hit metals plates out to 1000 yards. Much beyond that and the scope maxes out.

I'm actually doing a gun build right now and will probably get the Huskemaw 5x20 Blue Diamond, it runs about $1500. But I'm told it's way better than the Vortex.

Figure out what you want your gun and scope to do and then go from there. If you are just going to hunt, and occasionally shoot some long range, I'd bet the Vortex will do everything you want, and you'll save quite a bit of money.

If you want more precision, do some competitions and whatnot, you'll probably need something more.

You can get the Burris XTR II 5-25 or 8-40 for around 1100-1200. Glass is way better than a Vortex PST or Leupold VX3, has a great zero-stop, 90 MOA travel, and an illuminated reticle. The F class guys love them. Plus a no question lifetime warranty like Vortex.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-16 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]Zeiss rapid z 800 hands down I spent months doing research bought it and love it lifetime warranty and absolute clear glass

>In that price range I'd look
>at a used Nightforce NXS,
>a bushnell LRHS, or even
>a Nightforce SHV.

This

> Leupold vx6
>a lot of choices.

Yes, Leupold is another good option. They seem to track well. I would put them above a Vortex. Night Force get a little pricey for there top end scopes. But are great if you can swing the price.

>In that price range I'd look
>at a used Nightforce NXS,
>a bushnell LRHS, or even
>a Nightforce SHV.
This again. mtmuley

1.3K Ain't gonna get you much of a NightForce!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

For years I used a 4.5-14 x 40 Leupold VX3 with 30mm tube. The magnification was the only limitation to this scope. It tracked perfectly and I thought the glass was great. I ordered it from Leupold's custom shop with M1 turrets.

Another good option in your budget is the Sightron SIII series. Take a look at the 6-24 x 50 LRD.

I'm surprised to see a "long range rifle question" coming from such a stealthy stick and string guy. But then I guess we all look at as many hunting options as possible.
For what it is worth, I have several Leupold VX IIIs (CDS) that seem very functional for my 5-600 yd limits. They are considerably under your budget, but I am still trying to figure out windage adjustment angle. Calm days are my answer for now.
Best of luck in finding what you need! Maybe you are trying to add another big ram to the wall?

I have a Burris XTRll in 5x25 and am impressed. Front focal plane, lighted, zero stop. Vortex make a darn good scope as well in your range. Nightforce are impressive as well, but out of your price range unless you stumble upon on a used one. Some people do not take care of their glass very well and I see guys with a lot of money tied up in their optics and see and watch them clean the glass with their damn shirts or a paper towel/kleenex.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom