Long Range Successes - Lets hear it!

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.

It takes serious gall to use the word "intelligently" on here and fail 3rd grade English, spelling and grammar.

Priceless entertainment!

Not sure I understand but you are priceless. Go to Word and use the sentence or the spelling and then chuckle away. Were you a third grade dropout?

HEHEHEHE
Do you guys think he gets that we are ALL laughing at him?
HEHEHEHE
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Do you get that the world is bigger than Billy
Bob shooting 1,000+ yards while drinking a beer riding around in his UTV because he's too fat and lazy to hunt?

What an overall lack of intelligence. Like I said no wonder we are losing ground everyday.

I guess I'll jump on this landmine also.
Weatherby Accurmark 30-378
200gr Accubond
6.5-20x50LR Leupold
Rifle is bedded, trigger job
Handloads of 106.0gr retumbo shoots 1/2 MOA

I have no yet taken a big game animal as I have just started to get into long range. I have been practicing out to 800yards and hope to become confident to 1000. Now I would limit my shots on game to about 600 yards though. My thinking is that most shooters don't practice near enough. I am very confident to 800 yards on a target. I will say that 600 on a game animal will be different than paper and that's why I set my limit that way.
I am amazed when I have been talking with other shooters. They are basically sighting in at 100 yards because the box said to be 2" high. Then they plan to shoot a deer at 400 yards because the box says it will only be 18" low. These are they type of people I am concerned about most. All in all Get out there and practice further than you want to shoot and build some confidence.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 06:43PM (MST)[p][font color="red"]Quote from Cahunter805:[/font]

[font color="black"]My thinking is that most shooters don't practice near enough.

I am amazed when I have been talking with other shooters. They are basically sighting in at 100 yards because the box said to be 2" high. Then they plan to shoot a deer at 400 yards because the box says it will only be 18" low. These are they type of people I am concerned about most. All in all Get out there and practice further than you want to shoot and build some confidence.
[/font]

You are describing about 90% of the guys out there hunting. You may be describing Jazzy boy from what it sounds like.

They also don't own a range finder and are just guessing at the distance, but that doesn't keep them from throwing lead in the air first and checking how far it was later.

But flame away at the guys that actually know how their rifle actually shoots at the range they checked with a range finder. Even worse the guys that have ballistic charts to account for proper windage as well! Those guys can't hunt!

Sweet set-up Snuffy!
Better be careful though, Jazzy is gonna wanna know how far away you were when you winged that rock....
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Little Jazzy boy said

"And yours aren't?

Your right though there is no use trying to comment intelligently on here about something that will undoubtedly turn it's ugly head on our sport and we will have idiots like you standing out in front of us wavying the banner!"

Your saying that when I haven't even expressed where I stand on the subject. All I have posted in this thread is my opposition to your childish posts. Nobody wants to hear it and you have worn out your welcome in this thread. Everybody already knows how you feel so you can just drop it and walk away or continue to give people a reason to dislike you. I have personally seen other posts of yours that have been positive or constructive, but now when I see a post authored by "jazz" I am a little biased before I even read it and automatically cringe. Just give it a rest or take it to your own thread and let the people post up the results without criticism. You are entitled to your opinion and they theirs. You've expressed it now move along.

Well said alp75! Now maybe the thread can move on like it was intended. Thanks to all of you who have posted information that I was looking for. I appreciate it!

Thanks npaden. It also blows me away that people would even attempt shots that far with little to no practice. Also they just buy some ammo that shoots maybe 2" groups at 100 yards and then try to shoot 400 or 500 yards. As with anything else PRACTICE makes perfect. Learn your rifle and become comfortable with it and the trigger.

Elkslayer
I too built 300 RUM with the intention of long range shots, but because of the experience with the smith I sold it without firing a shot. I'm having another rifle built now that should be finished in the next couple weeks. This time I went back to 7mm mag. I had a reamer throated for the Berger 168 VLD. I've experimented with various bullets over the years with a wide range of results. I normally use Speer 160's at 3000 fps in my 7mm but last year I loaded up some Hornady 139 SST's, with the intention of a little more speed and a flatter trajectory. Velocity was right at 3150 fps. I shot three bucks with them. The first one at 150 yards through the left shoulder. Very little penetration but enough damage to kill. It wasn't very pretty. The second was at 534, he was climbing a steep hill across the canyon so I put one right through the top of his shoulders. Once again, very little penetration, took a second shot to kill. This year I took a buck at 303 yards and the bullet entered the base of his neck and exited under his jaw. Enough to knock him down but it took one more to finish him. Dissatisfied with the SST's I decided to load a few 168 VLD's this year for a cow elk hunt. I've shot great groups with them so I figured I'd give them a try at hunting. I loaded both the hunting and the target bullet with the thicker jacket. The target bullet isn't recommended for hunting but there has been a lot of discussion about using them so I thought I'd give em a try. I shot a cow at 560 yards with the hunting bullet. First shot hit a little low in the chest right behind the shoulder. It stopped her in her tracks but she didn't go down. There's no doubt in my mind that she would have dropped but I wanted to see how the target bullet would preform so I dropped one in and hit her about 4" above the first shot and she dropped. I was surprised that both bullets exited. Both had pin hole sized entrance wounds and about 2" exit holes. Internal damage looked to be about the same for both bullets. The Bergers have shot extremely well in my factory Remington 700 that I decided to have my custom set up for them. Performance on the elk suggests that they should be a great hunting bullet
Wes

so called hunters that do this long range hunting disgust me!! they are degrading the animals the hunt. there is no place in hunting for long range shooting. when it's more about getting a long shot than the hunt there is something wrong. we as sportsman should shame these people into leaving.

OK Jazz...
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

dks
Thats an awfully large net you've just thrown...
What is your definition of (too) long range shooting?
And at what range are hunters other than your majesty allowed to shoot before losing our "sportsman" status?

I would venture to guess that a large percentage of these so-called "unethical" long range shooters can probably shoot better at 500-600 yds than you or I could at 250.

Just a thought.

"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Drannon

That's funny.

The thread was dying down, so somebody had to get on and stir the pot a bit.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-10 AT 00:40AM (MST)[p]I have two guns set up for pretty long shots a game. The first is a older Rem 700 ADL action with a New 25" #3 pac Nor MG barrel chambered in .280 Ackley Imp. I'm shooting 60 gr. of 4350 pushing 140gr Nosler Combined Tech bullets at 3250 FPS. I regularly practice out to 600 yds and feel very comfortable at 500 provided calm conditions.

With this setup, Burris BP 4X12 Sig series, my rifle is set on at 300yds, -8 at 400, -18 @ 500. The Ballista plex lines for distance, correlates very close to my findings measured at the range. All my targets are placed by using my hunting rangefinder and all my bullet drops are hand measured with a tape measure.

My first buck killed, edit; "with this setup", was at 460 yds, one shot broadside mid mass behind the shoulder. Bullet exited leaving about a 1" hole, buck dropped in his tracks. Second buck, Wy 2005, was at 360 yds, i was in the prone position and dropped one in his high shoulder area shooting at a very steep uphill angle while he was standing quartered away. Bullet went thru facing shoulder and out about 3" below the spine on opposite side. Nice wound channel but not excessive, again, animal dropped in his tracks.

My other rifle setup for longish shots is a custom tuned, Winchester Mod 70 in 270 WSM. Again zero'd for 300 yds, I was shooting 150 gr Rem Premium Accutip ammo(150SST's)@ 3150 FPS and 1748 FPE @ 500yds. First buck taken was 528 Yds broadside in slight left to right breeze. I used the second line down on my ballista-plex scope, aimed high shoulder and allowed about 8", front of his shoulder, for the light breeze. The buck went maybe 10' before going down. Two others nice animals this yr were taken with this setup, both with Winchester Factory Accubonds 140 gr @ 3200 FPS. about 200 yds, massive wound channels, large exit wounds, extreemly dead, very fast.

I still very much feel comfortable taking game at 500 yds or maybe a bit more. None of those shots were in any way difficult or even very hard. I say that because i had good rests, of all the range time i'd put in, and was just that comfortable with my equipment.

Joey

I don't quite see this response as "staying" with the original thread? Nor is it any more clever than what any 13 year old would post!

7MM
175 grain core lokts
Up to 500 yards.

Dozens and dozens of dead animals with 1 shot.

Now that is sticking to the thread!

Another self appointed senator representing the hunting community. The thread where someone posted that the antis dont care what range people kill from the point is they are killing animals.
Let me ask what is the responsibile range for someone to shoot and kill an an animal at byt those self annointed amongst us?
My answer is any distance at which the hunter is capable and able to under varying conditions encountered while in the field.
I also ask if the hunter is able to make a shot each and every time is it still unethical in your mind and if so why.

Jazz said, "I don't quite see this response as "staying" with the original thread? Nor is it any more clever than what any 13 year old would post!"

Jazz, just so i'm clear on this, are you referring to my post that was right above your comment?

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-10 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]Ill pipe in here, at the risk of getting reamed out because of the original topic, you right its any distance you are capable of. I get a little concerned on a couple fronts, not that many people are as qualified as you and some others to make good judgments, and the commercialization and promotion of new high tec gadgetry and ultra long range shooting will eventually lead to more black eyes for our sport. Its not the antis you have to worry about going into the future, its the non hunters, they out number hunters and the antis many times over. If it comes to the point where ATVs have 50 caliber super hightec military weaponry draped all over them and are parked on every turnout, well I just think the nonhunting public might begin to question the sport, sound far off? its probably not. Its already to the point where technology is gaining very rapidly on our prey species, look how hard tags are to come by, and it just gets worse, I feel for the younger generation, and wonder about the percentage of support for wildlife in the future. Really not much can be done, new gadgets come available every month. I guess in order to maintain mature animals, there will have to be highly restricted quotas in the any weapon hunts going forward, and that might hurt recruitment of hunters, we will see. looking back ats what happened the last 20 years, I really wonder about the changes in the next. I usually shoot a 8mm remington magnum with 200 grain nosler partitians at 3160 fps, but my yardages can't compare with most that are posted on here

Piper once again tonight I find myself agreeing with your post. I gotta go to the Dr. Nicely worded. BTW good luck on your Elk tag in Az this year you shoudl know by the 26 or so. And for the record im not as qualified as alot and I myself would not take chances of wounding something that is the worst feeling.
Normally 500 yards would be max for me even though I am trained to shoot much further at other things. I personally like the stalk but sometimes you can get only so close. I just dont think its my business to tell someone theirs when they are capable of such things.
We all know what the basic hunters ethics are and we should stick with those.
Bugler

Hi all! With the information that I have read on this post, I have decided to purchase a 50 BMG.

Can any of you give me some good load data with this rifle for the north american species? Your help is greatly appreciated>

Lets hear it!
1. Bullet type and grain
2. Yardage
3. Animal Type ( Elk, deer, antelope,goat, moose,etc )
4. Bullet entrance and exit location
5. Bullet entrance and exit sizes
6. Your thoughts on performance

Bombs away!!!!! Cant wait for the seasons this year!!!

lol. I dont know much about the bergers other than they are exceptional bullets. I do not know however how much they cost compared to say the scirocco which I currently load in the 180gr. IM old fashioned and am using IMR 3841 under them. My rifle likes the load so I havnt really been thinking of using anything else since it aint broke.
I guess it is like anything else. Whatever the rifle likes best is what I like to load. The sciroccos are expensive. I like Barnes TSX in my 7mm
As far as the fifty goes I found a surplus site overseas that is overstocked with incindiary rounds that would suffice at any range you can see the target from. I am not sure about load data. All of the rounds I fired through the MA deuce were prepackaged and came in a wide array of colors and possibilities. LOL good luck with it tho.

someone had to mention stalking skill, so here's a long range story for you. at age 17 I spotted a 3x3 muley at over 1/2 a mile. I was shooting a .22-250 with redbox of the shelf Federal in 55 grain.
I carried that box of bullets to 25 yards of that buck and busted him in the boiler room. He jumped about 5 feet straight up and was dead before he hit the ground. lungs were pulverized in itty bitty pieces. Hit a rib going in and cracked the rib on either side of it. The speed of that bullet hitting a bone caused it to blow to pieces.

With that same gun, I've put deer on there arse at 400 yards by breaking the neck. I worked part time in high school and put a box or two per month through that rifle.
Still have it now, more than 25 years later. Great Mossberg!!!

"With that same gun, I've put deer on there arse at 400 yards by breaking the neck."

So, you're an idiot!! That's way beyond the range of such a cartridge!!

But that doesn't mean that some people can't do responsible things with the "proper firearm and equipment", even if it is farther that most of us shoot at game.

Joey

Use a 50 BMG next time.......this thing is amazing. Don't need to stalk any further than getting off the heated and air conditioned RHINO! I can hunt two canyons instead of one now!!!!!!!!!

So here is another perfect example of why I would bash this thread. I have left the whole thing alone and yet you think you need to still "bash" me with this idiotic response. I sent you a PM but it basically says go //// yourself.

Now bash all you want but bottom line is that you and anyone else that shoots these long ranges don't know squat about hunting, stalking or anything else. So try and get your lazy arse out of your chair and hunt sometime instead of calling in your GPS coordinates for an air raid on some poor unexpecting little 2x2 with a 12 inch spread!

Because my thread got highjacked I thought I would have a little fun in my last few posts. My longest shot was this last year in Idaho at 525 yards. 300 Wby with no wind. 2 shots and two great hits. Most of my kills have been 150 to 300 yards. Killed many elk with a Bow using spot and stalk. I am interested in the long range guns and will see what and how I do. Surprised???

Its a waste of time arguing with the self annointed Slayer. Must be one hell of a stalker. Maybe hes part indian or something. Us poor Rhino drivin airstrike callin huntersare outmatched.

I read all the posts and I'm just amazed at some people on here. I have been setting up a long range gun myself for fun and I would put my skill up against you any day.

No I'm not surprised. What would surprise me is if you killed anything with horns instead of cows or does!

>"With that same gun, I've put
>deer on there arse at
>400 yards by breaking the
>neck."
>
>
> So, you're an idiot!! That's
>way beyond the range of
>such a cartridge!!

Sage, The idiot is the one who doesn't know his rifle and tries shots he can't make.
I on the other hand have never taken a shot I wasn't sure of. You shoot at a deer with that caliber and know you are going to break the neck, nothing wrong with that.

"No I'm not surprised. What would surprise me is if you killed anything with horns instead of cows or does!"

What? And we are childish?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-10 AT 03:07AM (MST)[p]FX4, Sorry to rile your feathers bud, you may know your rifle but a 22-250 with 55gr factory is no deer rifle at 400yds, period!

I'm one who believes that guys that have shot a lot for years and still practice's a ton, that have the "right" equipment, ought to be able to set their own limits on how far is too far. So i'm actually now going against my grain here, saying that you shouldn't be doing what you are.

A regular Federal 55gr has a muzz velocity of 3625 FPS
At 400yds it only has less than 600 foot pounds of energy
Minimum recommended FPE on deer sized game is +1000
It's a bullet engineered and designed for varmints.
In a 10MPH cross breeze, you have 16.5" of wind drift
Sighted dead on at 200yds, you have 16" of drop @ 400yds
And, you claim to be aiming for neck shots... and never missed?

Either you haven't shot at very many or you're full of BS. Either way, it's poor sportsmanship IMO and if i were you, i'd be thankful that you haven't crippled and lost animals because if you keep that up, you most certainly will!!!

Joey

Sage,

I didn't say I still do it. I hunt with a 270 and a 300WinMag now. That was during my younger years. Growing up in eastern Montana where shots are often long, I sighted my 22-250 at zero for 300 yards. At the time it was all i had. I only went for neck shots and always from the prone when i could be steady and there was no wind. I practiced so much that I could tell people to within an inch or two, where I would hit a target, in good conditions.

I grew up watching my older brother wound deer and not find them. I didn't want to be part of that crowd. I practiced a ton and never took iffy shots. Only one deer did I shoot at that distance, and it dropped in its tracks with a broken neck. I shot another, laying down in a wheat field at 300 yards give or take and it never got up.

Even now, shooting a 300 winmag with 180 grain rounds i don't take a shot I'm not sure of.

Shot placement is key and the conditions have to be right. I don't care who you are, if you shoot long distance in bad conditions you will miss, or worse, cripple an animal.

I don't have a problem with anyone shooting long distance if done properly, meaning tons of practice, knowing the weapons ability and trajectory at ALL ranges, and shooting in good conditions.

I've seen people shoot and kill deer at over 400 with a 223, something I would never try personally, but someone who knows their gun, can do it.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree. Between my home state and hunts in other states most every year, plus the fact that at one time, i too thought neck shots were cool, i've probably shot more deer in the neck than the average guy has shot deer.

I'll never take that neck shot again unless extraordinary circumstances, and it's the only shot that i have, even with a powerful cartridge that will cleanly kill if i happen to be slightly off and hit point of shoulder. The neck's actual drop dead, killem on the spot zone is very small. Doesn't take much of an error at over 400 yards distance to have a wounded animal on your hands and doing so with a 22 caliber varmint bullet that is not even legal in a lot of states, so susceptible to wind, way down in energy at distance,... it's just stupid and idiotic in my book but you go ahead and put doing that kinda crapola next to your name, not mine!

You said, "I've seen people shoot and kill deer at over 400 with a 223,.."

Yeah, and I've heard that you can kill an elephant with a 22lr. That don't make it right to do so!

No more responses here from me on this topic. I'm tired of it and you're trying to muddle the subject with what you're doing with your 300 WM, another case and subject entirely unrelated! As i said, y'all do what you're gonna do, cause you're gonna do it anyway, but don't do it with equipment that's not well tested, including yourself, and designed for the job!

Joey

JSOW at 17 nautical miles against a target in the desert. I had my .45 as back up.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

that 15 minutes of Fame is just about up .

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

WOW lots of chatter on this one so I will give my 2 cnets worth.
Wweatherby Mark5
.270 WBY MAG
Leopold 6x20
Custom Balistics Card for this specific gun, scope and load to 1000 yards
Harris bypod
Spotter with bynos or spotting scope to call shots
hand load 150 grn nozler balistic tips (cause bonded, copper or partition bullets wont expand at longer range with slower velocity
bull elk 368 yards 1 shot chest no exit
mule deer 586 yards quarter away no exit 1shot was still standing after 1st shot hit so kept shooting and missed 4 additional shots
mule deer 688 yards walking quartering away 1 shot, thru neck (not where I was aiming but will take it and not to proud to addmit it).
My theory, "If there is lead in the air, there is hope in the heart"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom