LongRangeBangin

YELUM

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-13 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]I'm tired of the other thread so I started a new one.

This is the 3rd year they've hunted the island for deer and sheep. W.D. Martin bought the 1st tag and hunted in 2011. The buck he killed, named WD40, I had filmed the 2 years previous. In 2009 it was IMO a 3 or 4 year old 10x9 in the 185-190 range. In 2010, he was about 36 wide and his sheds went 230. When killed he was 39 wide and scored 239. So at most he was 6 when killed

The state hunter killed a buck called 38 Special and I had only seen once the year before from about 2 miles away. Those sheds scored 90 and 109, so maybe he went mid 220's. His body was smaller than WD's, so maybe 5.

In 2012, Denny killed Splitter. It was the 3rd year I filmed him, and both Doyle and I thought he was 3 ? the 1st year we saw in Nov 2010. I figured he was 185ish. The next year he ballooned to 235, and then again when killed he was 270.

That same year, the state hunter killed the oldest buck of the 6 killed. I filmed him in 2010, 2011 and 2012. He was 240+, 235, and 254 in those 3 years, I talked to a couple guys who watched him in 2009, and they thought he was about 215. So with 4 years of being over 200, I would guess he was 8.

2013. There is only 3 years of history with this buck of Dennys. His 2011/2012 sheds score 205, and his 2012/2013 sheds were low 220?s. That was the 1st year I filmed him, and this year he went 247, and I'd guess he was 6.

Last year was my 1st seeing the state hunters buck, which Doyle appropriately named Frame. I figured he was 5 or 6 when killed, but heard his teeth were really worn down, so I don't know. I think last year would have been his 1st 200 inch set, but I haven't had a close look at his sheds, or scored them to know. He was close to a 205 inch buck last year.

It was long, but I hope I answered your question.
Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

Yellum, I think you would know the answer to this as well as anyone, do you think the island will be able to continue to produce these types of bucks year after year replacing the ones getting shot? Or are we going to see a gradual decline in quality as the years go by? furthermore, during the little time I have spent on the island I have seen a lot of "management" bucks, do you think the gene pool will suffer since the cream of the crop is taken every year? I have felt since the beginning a management hunt should be offered as well. What do you think?

Yelum,
Thanks much for all your information. You came thru like I thought you would an answered all my questions. Tons of information in your post and I truly appreciate the time you took to jot it all down.
I've never been to the island but Been down there by it quite a few times. I'm looking forward to trip to enjoy the experience. I just hope I pick a good day to do it if there's such a thing as a bad day.
Again, I truly appreciate the info you shared. Amazing at what the bucks are doing at the age they are, and the growth from one year to the next. Was a great read, thanks!

yellun thank you. ,nobody knows the rock and its deer like you, (how is that for binging nice and adding to the forum,?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-13 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]I'll tell you what it was, Elk. It was AWESOME. I can only hope you meant it. lol Now share some hunting pics.

Backpackin, that ones hard to know for sure, because its not just the hunts that take the bucks. Coyotes and fighting take their toll. Dennys buc, IMO, would not have survive the year because of injuries sustained this year fighting. The 3 and 4 year old bucks are old enough to want to fight and compete, but young enough to get their butts kicked. Several die each year from this class. With high buck/dooe ratios, there is a lot of fighting. The removal of 200 does will have a negative impact, because I don't believe there are more than 500 deer, IMO.

That said, lets break down what I do know. From 2001 to 2009, I saw only 1 buck that I know would score over 230. Just 1. In the 4 years since, it has been as follows.

Bucks over 230
2010 - 3
2011 - 3 + 1
2012 - 2
2013 - 1

between 210-230
6-8

I'll note that of the 3 210-230 bucks alive after the 2012 hunt, only 1 lived to see this hunt, but then died.

So, in my opinion, It is not realistic to hope that hunter will continue to kill 240+ calibar bucks. I've only seen 4 and know of a 5th that reached this number, over the last 13 years.

Yelum

>yellun thank you. ,nobody knows the
>rock and its deer like
>you, (how is that for
>binging nice and adding to
>the forum,?

+1
I couldn't have said it better myself!

elkun is a pretty sharp guy who is short on fluffy words. He told me once that I didn't know chit. Maybe he's right! LOL

Thanks Yelum, I hope our paths cross again. 5 minutes of your time in the Salt Palace meant a lot to me.

Zeke

Well, I'm glad you sought me out of the crowd, and thanks. Hope we meet again.

Yelum

Yelum
I was just curious and thought you would know better than anyone, is "Fogger" still alive? If he is do you have any pictures of him this year?

Thanks

Pugs

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-13 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]I believe after badly regressing last year, that he did not survive the winter.

6519dscn9484.jpg

Yelum

Frame went roughly 193 with his 2012 set and in 2013 his right side I believe scored 86. I will have to score it again to be sure . you guys have already seen the pics but here they are again
2012 set
2021image.jpg

2013 single from frame on the right. Four point to the left scores 94 inches

5458image.jpg

"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

Do the DNR or private hunters ever do tooth analysis on these deer and is it public info? Obviously if a successful hunter does it on his own dime he owns the results. I find watching monster bucks grow up and top out to be fascinating but you have to have the final results to complete the circle, otherwise it is just educated guessing. One thing for sure these deer "top out " pretty high!

Squirell, I wish the island would just take a tooth from each harve sted buck and age them, because yes, it really is just guessing.

Yelum

Squirell, I talked to the student biologist on the island, and he said the hunters are sending teeth in. The dwr lost the tooth from the auction buck last year, but the state hunters buck was 8 1/2, which is what I stated. That was his best rack.
He hadn't seen the data from the 1st hunt.

Yelum

Thanks Yellum, that is interesting stuff, wish this site would have more of it rather than pissing matches. I find it particularly interesting that they take small hits in score then manage to bounce back better than ever, later. Around here that is very rare once the decline starts it is generally not reversed.
At age 52 I have personal understanding of this problem myself.

Generally the main beam stays great but point length suffers as mass slightly increases... but not enough to offset the decline of point length.

My theory is that drier and desert climates are more susceptible to bouncing back- as moisture levels vary widely and the deer are locked into that ecosystem, where the area I play in has good food every year if the deer will just go to it, i.e. a different mountain basin with different exposure.

That tooth check costs about $6-8 maybe they could start charging a small fee since those tag fees must not cover the cost of keeping proper track of the teeth which have been turned in! Poor underpaid overworked fellas...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom