Looking for a new scope

dmick33

I recently moved out west and am looking for the right scope for me. I had done a lot of looking and bought the meopta scope with the bcd reticle cause I liked the idea of just learning my yardages for each crosshair but after further research found out that those change when I change the power. So should I just learn a couple powers or maybe go for a ballistic turret. Also are there any scopes with the BDC that don't change with the power of the scope? I am doing open country hunts for mullies and would like to stay a little under a grand for price.
Thanks

Most scopes are going to be what's called second focal plane, meaning the crosshairs stay the same size when changing power on your scope. This is the reason why those yardages change with a BDC and power. A first focal plane scope fixes the problem as the reticle changes size as you change power, so each mark is the same distance at any power. They do get pricey. Probably your best bet for under a grand would be the Vortex PST in FFP. I have one I'm going to put on a rifle after it's done being built. They offer it in either 4-16 or 6-24. I like the 4-16 as the low end allows hunting in thicker areas and still has enough power to zoom in for most circumstances.

Hope that helps some. Definitely lots of options out there, especially for a grand.

Thanks for the info. I looked on their site and it seems that first plane ones have the turrets. I am torn and can't decide whether to keep that scope I got or return it for a ballistic turret scope. I was looking at that vortex and the leupold vx3 with the cds.

Its no big deal. The center crosshair works at all magnifications. If you are taking a longer shot that requires using the reticle compensation just make sure you are on maximum magnification (or whatever magnification that you used to match your reticle to your load.

I have one gun with a bdc and another with a turret. My turret scope is a 6 x 20 power. Like gled said its a bit much at 50 yards with two spike elk standing broadside. It didn't help that it got bumped to 8 power. My turret scope i leave set at a 300 yard zero when hiking around. That way i am ready for any qwick shot. No need to play with dials and such.
The bdc scope is just a 3 x 9 and has all of the yardage maked in the scope cover. It is also sited in with a 300 yard zero. So if you just use the main cross hair you are good. When you have time it needs to be sent on 9 power and use the hash marks. Both system work pretty well when I use them like this. Maybe that will help you ?
Here is what the cheat sheet looks like for the Nikon BDC .
8100hpqscan0001.jpg

Well the meopta is going back. Five shots and something came loose and there is something on the inside of one of the lenses. So i am thinking leupold but have a question. Can you the vx3 and at a later date add one of the cds turrets custom to your gun. Id like a bdx reticle and maybe a turret later.

Leupold can do just about anything you want them to. I would call them at thier custom shop and tell them what model you have and what you want to do. Leupold has never let me down .

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-12 AT 04:27?PM (MST)

check out the sightron sii big sky 6-24x50 side focos ( around $600.)...has 20 moa in 1 rev 1/4 clicks..tracks like its on rails..their is a guy on accurateshooter.com that makes custom BDC tapes for 25-30 to your specs,loads etc.. i had serval leupolds got tried of having to overdail and raping it ,then dailing to the MOA I needed..IMHO ~Danny

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-12 AT 08:13AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-12 AT 08:03?AM (MST)

neither,its a printed tape that fits around the turret..it also has the wind drift if the turret is tall enough (NF ,vortex etc)..go to accurateshooter.com - market place - scopes,optics etc his handle is XTERMINATOR he has pics etc uses info from JBM ballistics..but you will still need a scope that tracks, every time..for the price sightron sii & siii do a google seach will find some good prices...But I have friends that has the Huskemaw blue diamond (1349.) that works too..but with my sightrons give Xterminator the info and for $25-30. its done ~Danny

I have 4.5-14x44LR VX-3 Leupold's (BDC) on all my guns. Waiting for the "big" VX-6 for my new rifle. BTW Leupold CAN ADD the turrets at a later date.

only if thats what you need,for the rifle to fit you correctly..on a scope/rifle that is set up correctly to fit YOU when you bring it up,every thing is in line so you don,t have to adjust to it..where is your eye placement in relation to the scope,low,high or centered...no bringing your head up or down for a clear centered view...~Danny

If you are looking for a Leupold Mark 4 I have a few in stock. They are more expensive then the VX3's but their glass is pretty excellent.

As far as making sight tapes and having CDS dials vs. regular turrets, I would shoot regular MOA or MIL turrets instead of getting the CDS ones that are adapted for your loads. I know there's a lot of guys on here who use custom turrets and they do work, but they are not going to be as accurate as regular MOA/MIL turrets in ALL CONDITIONS.

Out to about 600 yds most calibers will be consistent in all weather conditions. As soon as you get past 600 yds then temperature and elevation are becoming a big factor. From shooting at sea level and 70* at 700 yds, to shooting at 7,000' elevation and 30* I have an 8" trajectory difference and it only gets worse beyond that. CDS dials are only meant for particular situations and are only good for one load. Do you really want to have to swap out turrets to switch from your varmint load to you deer/elk load? If you aren't ever planning on shooting past 500-600 then the CDS dials are GREAT and work beyond those ranges for sure. They just have their limitations like everything else out there.

You can print off your own ballistic tables from a few different websites. Vortex and Berger Bullets both have accurate ballistic calculators free! Get some Rite -n - Rain paper and write or print off your ballistic table, and tape it to your stock or scope tube for whatever load and estimated elevation/temps are going to be and roll with it.

You can PM me for more info on those Leupold Scopes or give me a call at 877-311-9508! Thanks

Mike

The vx3 is at my price limit for now. I do think I will just stick with a standard moa turret when I do get one but would like the bdc reticle for quick shots.

So one more question looking the vx3 scopes and what is the difference in the 40mm lr and the regular 50mm. With the lr having a 30mm will it have the same performance has the 50mm cause i like that it will be able to sit lower.

The difference between the 40mm and the 50mm objective deals with the size and the amount of light they are able to gather. The 50 will obviously gather more, but as you said will sit higher on the scope. The LR or long range refers to having a side focus for parallax. This just means that as you aim at an object further away it focuses the crosshair to your line of sight, this is more important as you get past 400+ yards. As far as the 30mm tube vs. a 1" tube, the 30mm will give you more adjustment range with your knobs.

>The difference between the 40mm and
>the 50mm objective deals with
>the size and the amount
>of light they are able
>to gather. The 50
>will obviously gather more, but
>as you said will sit
>higher on the scope. The
>LR or long range refers
>to having a side focus
>for parallax. This just
>means that as you aim
>at an object further away
>it focuses the crosshair to
>your line of sight, this
>is more important as you
>get past 400+ yards.
>As far as the 30mm
>tube vs. a 1" tube,
>the 30mm will give you
>more adjustment range with your
>knobs.

Not true... Parallax (side focus) adjustment does not focus the reticle. It attempts to put the target on the same optical plane as your scope. The diopter ring will be what focuses the reticle and it can be different from person to person. Parallax adjustment attempts to minimize not having a consistent cheek weld on the stock. If your parralax is adjusted correctly, you'll be able to move your head behind the scope and the crosshair will not move in relation to the target. If it is adjusted incorrectly, then as you move your head behind the scope, the reticle will appear to move as well.

Mike

>Not true... Parallax (side focus) adjustment
>does not focus the reticle.
> It attempts to put
>the target on the same
>optical plane as your scope.
> The diopter ring will
>be what focuses the reticle
>and it can be different
>from person to person.
>Parallax adjustment attempts to minimize
>not having a consistent cheek
>weld on the stock.
>If your parralax is adjusted
>correctly, you'll be able to
>move your head behind the
>scope and the crosshair will
>not move in relation to
>the target. If it
>is adjusted incorrectly, then as
>you move your head behind
>the scope, the reticle will
>appear to move as well.
>
>
>Mike

Sorry Mike when I say focus the reticle to your line of sight this is what I mean :) I guess my terms could have been better picked.

As far as it being a necessary option I would say not. In a lot of situations it may even be a hinderance having to turn an extra knob. I think more manufacturers are making them with it just b/c of the increase of interest in long distance shooting. If your gun was going to be a strict long (and I mean long, as I think we forget how far 400+ yards really is) distance shooter it would be more of a necessity. In all reality it's going to be more of a preference for the normal hunter. As for me I typically like buying a scope with the feature. Will I ever really need it, who knows.

50 mm is more important then your mounting height. When do we see the most game? Early and late. When do we need more light to see threw our scopes, early and late. When do you come across the bigger bulls and bucks ? It alway seems they are the last to come out. So why cut yourself short ? Dont get my wrong I have a few guns with 40 mm scopes. If you are going for a light and fast rifle to shoot maybe you want to stick with a 40 mm scope. Its all about what you want. But it sounds like you are building a long range rifle. Most long range guns are 50 mm obj with a 30 mm tube to gain more clicks on your turret.

A lot of people will argue the smaller objectives do to size and weight, but I echo John on this one. My eyes like the 50mm better as well. Plus if you get a 30mm tube the scope is not going to seem to sit as high on the rifle.

i have a zeiss 4.5x14x44 and use tally low profile rings and base they work wonderful together it has the 1" tube sits nicely on my howa frame and action with a christsen arms barrel so if you dont like the 50mm bell and are unsure of the 40mm try middle of the road 44mm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom